RC Competitor

Track Visit: Great Fun with New Big Bores and Race Tires

Son and I took our VXL Slashes to local track (Bartow, FL) and tried out our new Santa Claus delivered Big Bore shocks.

The suspension seemed to be softer, absorbing much of the smaller issues while still taking the big hits the course offered-some jumps were 3 feet tall and getting nearly 6-8 feet distance!

My son's had Badlands and I ran a set or Proline Bowties. The difference in tires was striking as it was a hard packed clay track with some dampness in the shade. Great surface, but his was skating like ice outside the damper parts.

Local hobby shop didn't have their offroad track available ($10 an hour for practice!) so suggested another track in Bartow (Triple Nickel Raceway?). Looks to be nearly new, well prepped, nice clay surface and free in a city park! What a deal.

Track driving is so much more challenging than backyard driving...I now understand why folks prefer the 2S vs the 3S LIPO...almost no time did we hit WOT. The extra power just got us into trouble.

My 7 year old loved it...someone is hooked.

I did finally wear out a rear bearing support (both bearings were toast). Took nearly 70 battery cycles to accomplish. Pretty good durability!

$10 an hour!I guess i should quit winning about $5 from 3 to six on Saturday.
    Id be there now if i didn't want to get my second rpm trans change over done,the way I'm going i wont get it done till tomorrow anyway.
    Plus I want to get my pro line progressive shocks redone tonight too.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Ouch! 10$ an our! My local track charges 10$ for a full practice day, about 6 hrs. I would start a picket line... They are ripping people off.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    All the tracks in St. Louis that I've been to are free. I love it I wouldn't pay to use a track

Sent from Tapahoe

RC Competitor
    I thought the $10 rate was expensive, but would try it once to see how the track was. Only the second track I've been on so didn't know any different.

We drove 2 hours round trip to this city park track so some cost built in already...nonetheless we did it again the following weekend...good fun for 2 hours of battery time.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    My track charges 10$ for a full day of practice. About 5 hrs. It was 5 last year, but they raised the prices to improve some things. I have no problem paying for track time... It can be pretty expensive to open and maintain these facilities, especially if there is no hobby shop to help support it.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    My track charges 10$ for a full day of practice. About 5 hrs. It was 5 last year, but they raised the prices to improve some things. I have no problem paying for track time... It can be pretty expensive to open and maintain these facilities, especially if there is no hobby shop to help support it.
    Agreed, there is always maintenace to be done and it isnt free... I wouldnt mind $10 a day but $10 an hour... No way! Im just glad the track we have is free in a park, sponsored by the LHS... Who just gets all the $$$ when we break parts!!!