RC Enthusiast

my son's Slash:new motor needed

short version, he killed the first motor in 3 days, so my question to you guys, i am going to buy a motor for him in the morning, the same 12T that it came with. How do i "break in" the motor, and what is the real world maintenance for this motor. yes i do plan to upgrade, but i want him to learn to "take care" of this first...

Thanks Guys

RC poster
    First thing I would do is call Traxxas support. Explain what type of driving your son was doing. I don't know what would cause a motor to go out in 3 days. They might help you out with the replacement.

RC Enthusiast
    i have the replacement ready... it the care i will like to know about...

RC Qualifier
    what i suggest you do is get a glass (use disposable plastic or a glass that you dont mind getting oily from the graphite residue) of water with a few cubes of ice and hook your motor up to a single d-cell sized alkaline battery. (positive to positive, neg to neg) and run the motor submerged in said cup of water. run it down till the battery is near dead. wash out the motor with lysol 4 in 1 cleaner (spray and let sit 2 minutes) then rinse the motor out with tap water. then blow it out with a compressor or electric motor cleaner.

after that oil the bushings with a thin, petroleum based lubricant.

breaking in a brushed motor is one of the most important and best things you can do.

Copied from in know source

Indeed that is bad,Traxxas will more than likely give you a new one,but it is important to to take a little time to break a titan in.
    The best way is to hook it up, turn it on, carefully lower it in to a class off water,let it run about 10-15 minutes,At varied speeds.
    You will see the water darken as the brushes set in,clean water and repeat for a couple more minutes,Dry as well as possible,with compressed air if possible.Put a drop or two of oil on each front and rear bushing, after at least every two runs.Depending on how and how much he uses it,it should last a few months,their only 18 dollar motors.
    Keep in mine,if you up grade to a brush less velienon system,it has a training mode you can program it for.This will only let the motor operate at half or less power,until his driving improves,and you will have a motor that will last years.
    Hope this helps you.
    Traxxas also has a trade up program,that lets you trade your titan and xl-5 for a velienon system ,for $130.
    personally i would keep the xl-5 and titan,in case you find your self wanting to race in a stock class race one day,just my opinion.
    Happy rc-ing!
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I think that since your are having motor problems, this is a good time to go brushless with the Velineon 3500 motor. I have it stock, and I can't tell you how good it has been. I haven't even taken care of it like I should have, and it has performed flaw less! Even submersed under water and didn't clean it, and it still works! With proper maintenance, it would be a perfect motor to have, and it is a very durable one too.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    I would definitely do the water break in procedure on it. The way I do it is place the motor in s Tupperware tub and hook the motor up to a set of jumper leads with alligator clips. Turn the truck on like normal and turn your throttle trim on the radio up to max in forward and run it for 5 minutes. Stop and change the water. Then put the throttle trim in Mac reverse and run it for another 10 minutes. Then clean the motor with compressed air before spraying it out with motor cleaner. Then a couple drops of oil is all you need. I take the motor out after every race day and clean it with compressed air, motor cleaner, the oil the bushings with two drops of oil each. My motor in my slash lasts about 2 race seasons and has a lot of power.

The other thing to check is the gear mesh and gear settings. Some trucks have been assembled with the gear mesh too tight and my slash came with the high speed gears installed. High speed gears will cause the motor to heat up a lot more.

The stock XL5 also has training mode.

RC Qualifier
    Water break in will give the motor more torque and power, but it will also give your motor a smaller life span. If you break one in with the non water break in, it will give it more life. I am breaking in my Titan 775 motor tomorrow with the non water method cause IMO that sounds like the best way.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Enthusiast
    I am somewhat old school, in that he like driving, and wants to be a "better" driver, more power has always been the fastest way way to kill a young driver's skill, he needs to max this set-up frist before any upgrades. So for the time being I want him to have a strong set-up that is as issues free as can be, but still needs to do his own mantaince.

I will go back to the hobby shop and see if they will replace the motor. If not, I will buy one ship the dead one to traxxas, note the motor give full power on reverse and 1/4 on forward. Any clues on this...

And he is reading over my shoulder

Thanks again guys, you have been very helpful, I will be nagging some more.
    Last edited by kesterj; 01-03-2013 at 07:47 PM.

You don't by chance have it set in 70 30 mode,with the controls reversed?

RC Enthusiast
    nope it is in 50/50...

OK good luck,it almost sounds liker something might be caught in one of the bushing's Id try reversing the poles and see if it changes,or at least rule out the esc.or if a piece of brush breaking off
    Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesterj View Post
    nope it is in 50/50...
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-04-2013 at 04:29 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    ^^^ good point i will go try that now...

update:

ok so i did that and the motor spins at 1/2speed when pull the throttle forward, even if i flip the polarity on the motor... and full power on reverse....

comments?
    Last edited by kesterj; 01-04-2013 at 07:14 AM.

I'm lost!That's just strange.
    Guess i would give traxxas a call,Sorry i couldn't help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kesterj View Post
    ^^^ good point i will go try that now...

update:

ok so i did that and the motor spins at 1/2speed when pull the throttle forward, even if i flip the polarity on the motor... and full power on reverse....

comments?
    Does it have a 2.4 ghz transmitter or the old am? If it has the 2.4 sounds like the throttle endpoint has been tampered with reset it to default and re bind it try again.

Since it is your sons I understand not going brushless. My 3 year old has a stampede and there are two different motors I let him play with ( just because he likes to work on his ) hpi firebolt 21t good motor last forever and the electrifly s600 both are the same price but will outlast many titans. I also recommend gearing way down especially if he plays in grass. I got the lowest gear you can put on them is 11/90 gives it enough torque to wheelie too!!
    Last edited by bigdodge44150; 01-04-2013 at 08:23 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    so from my last test, i was thinking maybe i should reset every thing...
    frist i must say the directions on the setting the throttle needs to be more precise, but i got it...

so now the motor runs at full speed forward and back...

now i MUST say the motor can take a workout...

you guys have been an asset:
    i test on the "old" motor the break in test that i was going to do this morning. so last night the motor was in water for 9 mins, i dropped some WD-40 on the bearings, and tested the motor... the first 2 mins i had to change the water, it was near brown, and that i had to change in at the 5 min mark, very light drown, with a very particles and it was good from there...

now before all this, i have seen the motor smoke up and light up, so in my mind it must be dead by now. and to here the motor run again... my word, i am very happy with this. i am still going to buy that new motor as back up.

going to put it together now... let you guys now now it runs...

RC Enthusiast
    hi guys, it two days now the the truck in running, not at full power but better than it did before...
    thank you again...