Hybrid View

RC Competitor

big bore shock problem

need some advice put my big bore shocks on got the front ones on and added the oil. i pushed up and down on them a few times to get bubbles out. but now when they are on the truck they are super soft and dont rebound ? anyone know what im missing here

RC Champion
    Did you add the pre-load clips to put pressure on the springs?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    no i didnt add them.. on the sheet it said no preload for the front and 8mm preload rear for off road :s

RC Enthusiast
    I feel the exact same way about mine. Way to soft feeling.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fishquiz View Post
    I feel the exact same way about mine. Way to soft feeling.
    not only that mine just wont rebound or come up at all unless i lift the truck up myself.

RC Competitor
    no one has any experience with this happening ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisiq93 View Post
    no one has any experience with this happening ?
    Yes. I have different shocks on the front now, but when I run these I use Emax springs with the largest pre-load spacer on the front.

RC Qualifier
    the rebound of the shock doesnt have a lot to do with the oil it has to do more with the springs

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    the rebound of the shock doesnt have a lot to do with the oil it has to do more with the springs
    ok.. well what would you suggest then the truck rakes like crazy. the front sags with just the weight of the truck and then doesnt come back up. i still have my stock ones on the back and they work better than these.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    could you show a vid of the truck when you drop it from 2 feet up?

What wt oil did you put in the big bores?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    yea i can try and do that today. and i used the oil that the shocks came with..

There should be some sag in the suspension. Not sure if what your seeing is normal, or if the shocks are stuck. If the shocks are overfull with oil they can lock in place, but they wont move in or out. After the truck is dropped and you pick it back up, do the shocks rebound then, or do you have to pull the suspension arms down to get the shocks to extend?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    There should be some sag in the suspension. Not sure if what your seeing is normal, or if the shocks are stuck. If the shocks are overfull with oil they can lock in place, but they wont move in or out. After the truck is dropped and you pick it back up, do the shocks rebound then, or do you have to pull the suspension arms down to get the shocks to extend?
    they drop back down if i pick the truck up they dont stick.. but say i push down on the suspension it wont pop back up? maybe i should take some oil out ?

RC Qualifier
    they drop back down if i pick the truck up they dont stick.. but say i push down on the suspension it wont pop back up? maybe i should take some oil out ?
    Try a set of VGA jumping springs. They're a lot stronger than the stock springs. They will definately hold things up and you won't need any spacers either.

RC Competitor
    I put the springs from my original shocks on the big bores. The ones that come with the big bores are to short if u compare them side by side

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeorood View Post
    I put the springs from my original shocks on the big bores. The ones that come with the big bores are to short if u compare them side by side
    really ? why would they come like that. i wouldve just left the stock shocks on if i knew these were no good

RC Competitor
    The big bores won't blow the caps off on big jumps and they have better shafts in them. I put 50 weight oil in mine

RC Qualifier
    Yes the BB springs are shorter, these shocks were released in 07, for the current 1/10 2x4 TRX made at that time.

Polaris, like Mike stated, these are a big upgrade from stock. The amount of preload clips recommended, I wouldn't take it to seriously, as all they do is set your ride height. The first thing I would do is, remove the shocks & springs, then push and pull the shocks full travel, too see if you have any stiction, also just before full compression listen for air, it makes a squishy sound. If all is good after that, then I would check to see how much rebound you have. Push the shock to full compression and then let go of the bottom, it should rebound some on its own, but the amount of rebound is a personal preference. Just trying to help as you seem to be getting frustrated, this hobby can be that way sometimes. Also Youtube, has some good vid's as a shock is a shock, well sorta.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    Yes the BB springs are shorter, these shocks were released in 07, for the current 1/10 2x4 TRX made at that time.

Polaris, like Mike stated, these are a big upgrade from stock. The amount of preload clips recommended, I wouldn't take it to seriously, as all they do is set your ride height. The first thing I would do is, remove the shocks & springs, then push and pull the shocks full travel, too see if you have any stiction, also just before full compression listen for air, it makes a squishy sound. If all is good after that, then I would check to see how much rebound you have. Push the shock to full compression and then let go of the bottom, it should rebound some on its own, but the amount of rebound is a personal preference. Just trying to help as you seem to be getting frustrated, this hobby can be that way sometimes. Also Youtube, has some good vid's as a shock is a shock, well sorta.
    okay in the morning im gonna take them off and do exactly that.. ill let you guys know hopefully i get it sorted out.

RC Competitor
    i checked today and no they dont stick they bounce back when i let go.. but when the truck weight is on them and i push down they dont come up at all ? no squishy sound like you said unless it is full compressed.. i dont know how to post pics ? but the front drops down almost to the ground when i put the battery in the tray.

RC Qualifier
    What preload clips do you have installed currently? Also what springs, do they have a colored stripe on them, or stock?

Lg-8mm

Med.-4mm

Sm.-2mm

Extra Sm.-1mm
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    What preload clips do you have installed currently? Also what springs, do they have a colored stripe on them, or stock?

Lg-8mm

Med.-4mm

Sm.-2mm

Extra Sm.-1mm
    the front ones have small clips and nothing changed.. the springs have a little red stripe on the top of them

RC Qualifier
    the front ones have small clips and nothing changed.. the springs have a little red stripe on the top of them
    Red stripe, so your BB's came with springs. I would put the stock springs back on, yes they are a little on the soft side, but are still better than the progressive springs.(JMHO)

With the shocks and front tires removed, lift the suspension all the way up and then let it drop, it should fall all the way with no resistance. Your axles could be binding.

When you install the spring put two 4mm spacers on.

After installing the top shock screw, swing the shock back and forth, to make sure its moving freely.

Then after its all back together, install the batt, and give it the 8" drop test.

Then tune with spacers till a-arms are level after the drop.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    Red stripe, so your BB's came with springs. I would put the stock springs back on, yes they are a little on the soft side, but are still better than the progressive springs.(JMHO)

With the shocks and front tires removed, lift the suspension all the way up and then let it drop, it should fall all the way with no resistance. Your axles could be binding.

When you install the spring put two 4mm spacers on.

After installing the top shock screw, swing the shock back and forth, to make sure its moving freely.

Then after its all back together, install the batt, and give it the 8" drop test.

Then tune with spacers till a-arms are level after the drop.
    the axles shouldnt be binding i just installed new ones 3 days ago cause i broke one.. and i will give that a try hopefully it works.

RC Competitor
    I installed my BB shocks today with the original springs and had no issues. I think I went 8mm preload in the back and 4mm in front.
    After popping my stock shock caps off today at the BMX track I figured it was time for the upgrade.

Yes just put mine on since the weather here is bad so i used stock springs and 50wt oil and they feel good man.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Dude put the stock springs on them and use 40-50wt oil and you will be good to go if not look at losi springs or VG racing aswell....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Look up videos on youtube. Lots of tutorials in there.

After you pour the oil in, you should push the shaft in and out a couple of times and turn it left and right while compressed to remove bubbles. Do all of those steps without the shock caps and the bladder. The bubbles may be causing the slow rebound problem.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I had the same problem ... since then, I put 55 weight oil in and VG racing springs ----- HUGE difference

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by buduck04 View Post
    Yeah I had the same problem ... since then, I put 55 weight oil in and VG racing springs ----- HUGE difference
    I cut 2 coils off the front of my VG springs and it improved the ride and handling. They were actually too stiff except for jump landings. Going to do the same to the rear when I get a chance.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I cut 2 coils off the front of my VG springs and it improved the ride and handling. They were actually too stiff except for jump landings. Going to do the same to the rear when I get a chance.
    Yea I've noticed the handling is a bit stiff too ... seems to body roll more -- may have to give that a try

RC Enthusiast
    So i am going to try some 50 wt oil in my big bore shocks to see if that fixes my soft issue, any recommandation on best shock oil to use? I know it needs to be 100% silcone oil but other then that not sure which oil is best.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by buduck04 View Post
    Yea I've noticed the handling is a bit stiff too ... seems to body roll more -- may have to give that a try
    Cutting 2 coils off front and rear VG Racing spings and 50 wt. oil is what I started at. I changed the rear oil to 27.5 because the 50 was still too stiff. Now it's got better control and the rear end stopped bouncing. I also have the light sway bars front and rear to control body roll in hard turns.

Sounds like the shocks are doing their job. There is supposed to be some "sag" in the suspension. You adjust the amount of "sag" by adding spacers to adjust ride height. The springs may be the culprit. If you drop the truck from 2 feet in the air, and the suspension arms are level to the ground, the springs are around the right rate for the weight of your truck. The oil is only there to slow down the reaction time of the suspension arm. The springs are there to support the weight of the vehicle. The oil must be matched to the rate of the springs for the best results. If the oil is too light, the suspension arms will move up and down to fast, thus making the tires loose contact with the surface while bouncing. Vice versa, if the oil is too heavy, the springs are not strong enough for the heavier wight oil, the suspension will not be able to keep up a bumpy surface, causing the tires to loose contact with the terrain as the tires smack off the surface of the bumps. The springs are directly related to the weight of the vehicle, weight of oil, and the bumpyness of the surface. If the springs are too soft, they will not be able to support the weight of the truck. The oil is only related to the bumpyness of the surface, vehicle wt and the stiffness of the springs. The dif between springs and oil, is imo, that oil has much less to do with the weight of the truck, and the springs have much more to do with the weight of the truck. Hope I made sense, but this is my saturday night...
    Last edited by rag6; 01-08-2013 at 05:09 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Sounds like the shocks are doing their job. There is supposed to be some "sag" in the suspension. You adjust the amount of "sag" by adding spacers to adjust ride height. The springs may be the culprit. If you drop the truck from 2 feet in the air, and the suspension arms are level to the ground, the springs are around the right rate for the weight of your truck. The oil is only there to slow down the reaction time of the suspension arm. The springs are there to support the weight of the vehicle. The oil must be matched to the rate of the springs for the best results. If the oil is too light, the suspension arms will move up and down to fast, thus making the tires loose contact with the surface while bouncing. Vice versa, if the oil is too heavy, the springs are not strong enough for the heavier wight oil, the suspension will not be able to keep up a bumpy surface, causing the tires to loose contact with the terrain as the tires smack off the surface of the bumps. The springs are directly related to the weight of the vehicle, weight of oil, and the bumpyness of the surface. If the springs are too soft, they will not be able to support the weight of the truck. The oil is only related to the bumpyness of the surface, vehicle wt and the stiffness of the springs. The dif between springs and oil, is imo, that oil has much less to do with the weight of the truck, and the springs have much more to do with the weight of the truck. Hope I made sense, but this is my saturday night...
    ya my problem must be the springs then because its not the sag im having issues with its the truck pushing down the suspension almost all the way when i drop it from even 6 inches.. yes it makes sense about the spring.. my stock front shocks were both bent so i tossed them. i should go buy some new ones then i guess. kind of stupid how the "big bore" shocks have weaker springs than the stock.

RC Qualifier
    Nice rightup Rag6, Thanks!
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Some of the springs are dual rate, and soft at first and too hard as the shock is compressed. With these type of dual rate springs, you can tune the spring rate by adding spacers. Problem is, that if you need a stiffer spring rate, you start to loose your ride height adjustment as you raise the spring rate. You can then adjust ride height with the fuel tube trick, but its a pain in the butt. The only way this has ever been effective for me was when running on flat carpet with no jumps, and the truck had to be super low and just a couple of mm off the track and the suspension needed no droop.

Some of the older big bores came with single rate springs. These springs are more suitable for bumpy surfaces and jumping, where the suspension needs to have room to extend as well as compress...

RC Enthusiast
    I bought the BB shocks and had the same soft issue, i want to use the BB shocks and the progressive springs but need them to be harder. Can anyone recommend a good wight of oil to put in them that will make them harder even with the progressive springs?

RC Competitor
    I had have the stock shocks on my stampede. A cheaper option instead of big bores is just get the upgraded shocks shafts for them. I bent one shaft put the better shafts in the shock bodies and no issues whats so ever. I jump it at the track and off jumps in a construction site and no issues whats so ever.

I have used both losi and associated with good results.