Thread: 40 series tire?

RC Champion

40 series tire?

Can I run a 40 series wheel and tire on a brushed erevo? If so what do I need? I know 17mm conversion and what's a good baser tire? Are big joes to heavy? I see badlands look good or mashers..

RC Champion
    It depends on if you wanna constantly pop a wheelie every time you take off. Big wheels are hard on drive line. A brushed e-revo i think you can run any size wheel you want. I had a brushed e-revo project last winter, and i was beating around with 40 series trencher x off of my summit. (there is a smaller 3.8 trencher that is more recommended). Plus i used summit wheels, and the badlands you mentioned. Badlands are nice.
    Last edited by ajcar; 12-01-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    I run a little bit on the street with badlands do u lose a little bit of handling due to them being narrower?

RC Champion
    When brushed e-revo i didn't lose much handling with badlands. Maybe a little more sliding on pavement, but nothing uncontrollable.

RC Qualifier
    40 Series doesn't tell you anything about the weight or outer dimensions of the tire. It only means that the rim diameter is 3.8" and that it has a standard bead.

A better all-round tire might be the Proline Shockwave (this is not a 40 Series tire, its a 3.8" tire with the Traxxas Bead). Badlands probably get better traction off road, but that's the compromises involved.

RC Champion
    Most off roading i do use badlands. Looks mean on a e-revo.

My other best off road option is the 17mm nitro 3.3 revo rims, and tires.
    Last edited by ajcar; 12-01-2013 at 08:16 AM.

RC Qualifier
    ^^ somebody likes grape G2 lol

RC Champion
    What about the regular trenchers and not the X's which aren't as big?

RC Champion
    Will I strip diffs or break drive shafts anyone how much heavier they? It's just the brushed version?

RC Qualifier
    Based on weights that I have seen of the 2 tires mounted, I'd guess the following weights of the tires alone: the standard 40 series Trencher is about 300g with foam. The Trencher X comes in around 325g. Then add the weight of the rim. Then you have to find 40 series wheels instead of 3.8 Traxxas bead wheels. The stock Talons are 200g with foam.

To answer your question - maybe??? It depends how you drive and how you are geared. It is more strain on everything. You could theoretically putt around very slowly with big tires and never break anything.

RC Champion
    Ok I'll think I'll go badlands

RC Champion
    Will I lose a lot of speed with trenchers?

RC Competitor
    I have tried all the tires discussed here except for the trenchers. My favorite tire so far is by far the badlands. Pavement running will wear them down fast but they handle well in dirt, on grass, and in my opinion on pavement as well. I know this is an off-road tire but at decent speeds, not insane brushless speeds, they do quite well. An added benefit, I don't know the weight but pre-mounted on the Desperado rims, they seem really light, so should be easy on your drive-train as well. On that subject, I would think with a brushed version Of the E-Revo there wouldn't be a huge concern with the drivetrain anyway. Just my 2 cents worth.

RC Champion
    I ended up ordering the original trenchers..saw a YouTube of
    A brushed erevo with big joes on it and it was doing pretty well..o well I'll see how they are..luv this hobby!

RC Competitor
    Trenchers are good for air control off road and badlands are not good for air control.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Those badlands in the pic above are 3.8?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    Yeah, there are no 3.2 badlands

RC Champion
    Badlands are my favorite 40-series tire. I have a set of those and some trencher x's. The x's stay on the shelf most of the time. They're just too large and floaty. I'll put them on my summit occasionally.

RC Competitor
    Try some taped regular Trenchers