RC poster

3906 VXL Conversion - craigslist find

Hello to all maxx owners. this is my first post. i have been reading this forum for a long time just never joined the community until now....
    Anyway i found an ad on CL that posted up a Tmaxx 3.3 plus tons of parts for cheap... i snatched it up and the guy had upgraded just about every part on it including a new chassis. he kept all the old parts in a box and gave those to me as well.
    i had a beat up broken 3906 original emaxx that was in desperate need of parts. This is my build up of my old emaxx with Tmaxx parts.

Tmaxx parts used -
    Blue aluminum chassis
    Few suspension parts

Complete 3500 VXL system out of my slash on 3S Lipo. stock gears direct from 3906.

the rest is all out of my old 3906 model. I know that people are torn when it comes to the VXL on the maxx trucks. But i really find that it does very well actually and i am impressed that the VXL can handle this without any issues. The

Stock 3906 chassis that was broken.

I transferred everything over to the new chassis exactly as it was on the 3906.
    Next i knew the drives shafts wouldnt hold up to brushless for long. so i used the spare drives that came off the T. these are much beafier and are a direct fit on the outdrives. BUT..... they are wayy too long.

So i took to my dremel and cutting wheel and cut them to proper length. nasty at first but then trimmed them down and cleaned them up to fit nicely.

The Tmaxx drives are much wider, but they still fit just inside the new chassis. also the stock 3906 tranny was a direct fit!

here you can see they clearance isnt much but just enough to clear the chassis walls.
    Also you see the transmission in place and the 3500 VXL locked in. And finally i have the gear locked into second.

with all of the old removed and the new in place. the new chassis also allows proper room on the side for my 3S lipo.

on the opposite side i was able to mount the esc and the rx in place with screws using existing holes. Saves me from drilling into the chassis. i didnt have to drill once.

Thats all the pics that i have of the build.
    so i bought my Tmaxx and ended up with enough spare parts to revive my old 3906. not bad.

I do have a video as well that i will try to post later tonight. Full speed with a large black lab in tow lol.

RC Champion
    Dude, cool.
    But have you put the very weak gear change servo in for the steering. Or was that the only servo.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC poster
    yes..... i know :-(
    didnt have any spares left. but actually it works s
    decent enough when in motion.
    my goal was 0$ invesment to get it revived.

RC Champion
    If you lived in the uk you could of had my old 2055 steering servo for postage cost. looks good though.

RC poster
    nice... thanks man i appreciate that.
    its no biggie. i just wanted to see if i could revive my old emaxx and do a quick project.
    my main goal will be the Tmaxx i picked up.

RC poster
    here is a brief run with the pup.
    there were a few times when i would give it 100 percent throttle to get away from him, but flat running was about 80 percent throttle.
    standing still on the driveway this thing will do a backflip. i accidentally grabbed the controller and gripped the throttle all the way in and it kicked up and landed upside down

http://s1286.beta.photobucket.com/us...7015d.mp4.html

RC poster

RC Qualifier
    truck runs good man just watch your temps and your gearing i run 18/66 in my 3906 vxl with fans on it

RC Champion
    the dogs love the chasing, mine sleeps for the rest of the day after chasing the maxx for 20 minutes. best keep the body on incase the dog tries to bit something hot or grabs a wire.

RC poster
    the body is busted from previous bashing.
    he actually doesnt bite at it. once it rolls he just waits there for me to flip it back over. he enjoys the chase.
    oh yes hes sprawled out on the floor after hes done running and he wont move lol.

the temps seem do to be hot... so as you recommend ill
    be adding fans.

RC poster
    are the traxxas fans a good option or is there a better choice
    Last edited by 70ina30; 01-04-2013 at 10:11 AM.

RC Champion
    i don't know who currently uses that motor, but it would get hot. I think lower gearing and fans might help but don't know if it would help enough. It's not the lightest of trucks.