RC Qualifier

Dual Motors in Summits

Hey guys Im looking at the kershaw designs dual dewalt 14.4 setup and i was wondering if anyone has experience with the setup and can give their opinion on the overall design, setup, performance, durability and how it mounts into the car thanks

RC Qualifier
    IMO it raises the center of gravity too much, lessens run time, and undoubtedly would require another esc, I think 2 dewalts would draw more current than the stock esc could handle, although, I could be wrong.

I would think it would be harder on your batteries as well. Not to mention the drivetrain.

I would go brushless unless being waterproof is your reasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks and yes i would like a waterproof brushless but there are none around except for the mmm 2 which is 350 and i don't have or want to pay that much i think the single dewalt will be the way to go

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Okay thanks and yes i would like a waterproof brushless but there are none around except for the mmm 2 which is 350 and i don't have or want to pay that much i think the single dewalt will be the way to go
    That's what I'm doing when my Titan blows up, the single dewalt looks to be an easy mod using the stock motor mount.

IF down the road you decide you want more power adding another dewalt would be an easy addition...if that's the direction you want to go.

RC Qualifier
    And yeah $350 that's a hefty chunk!

RC Qualifier
    350 dollars is a lot and from what ive read i think the dewalt will do just fine, i didnt break my titan in so how much life will i get out of it? i will break in a dewalt though

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have seen non-broke in 775's get only weeks... and I have seen them get years of use.

There is only so much usable torque too... I think a single DeWALT is probably pushing that limit, let alone two!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Okay so I'm guessing dual dewalt will be a power overload and chew up your drive train

RC Competitor
    I'm not sure how emaxx diffs compare to summit diffs strength wise. But I ran dual titan 775's in my emaxx I have, and almost EVERY time I drove it I either broke a drive shaft or blew a diff. Mostly blew diffs. I think I bought or repaired at least 20 diffs that summer. Stupid me. Now it's got 1/8 scale diffs and it's brushless.

NOTErized!

RC Racer
    As some one who installed a 18volt Dewalt motor powered by 6s lipo's, too duel 700ho motors from kershaw designs. As well the traxxas big block motor and MME ESC.

The stock motor os great. If your I the the need for more for for the Dewalt 14.4v single motor. Dual is a waste of battery life.,,

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    I love my dual DeWalt setup and have yet to ruin gears. To play it safe, I did go with the RR slipper. Even with that, I have enough torque to loosen my slipper nut. Had to put on a second to lock it down. I'm also running MIPs as well.
    Run time is forever in low gear and a decent amount of time chasing my dog in high gear. I throw my original body on it (dog toy) and he clamps on the front wheel well and I pull him across the yard (90lb boxer)
    Here's mine. I've added fans since this though.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5361683
    Kersh Summit-LCG Slash-Slash 4x4-Merv-Rally-Wraith

RC Racer
    Buy all means! Go Dewalt over brushless! Dewalt 14.4 is the way to go! Your truck will last forever. I'd also recommend the Kershaw Designs Dewalt motor mount. I LOVE mine! I've bought lots of stuff from kershaw, and never had a problem!

Comming from someone who installed the X0-1 motor and esc in there summit... the Dewalt 14.4 is where it's at!