Hybrid View

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)

Lower LVC in Cold Weather?

I have my LVC set at 3.2v on my Xerun 150A powered Maxx, but my charger says ~3.7v when I plug into the balancer. I know this is normal; batteries don't run as long in cold. However, this esc is the first programmable one I've owned (just VXL's before) I was wondering if it would be a good/bad idea to lower the LVC to 3.0 (theoretically leaving cells at 3.5v resting) or lower? Thanks!
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you double checked the voltage with a volt meter?
    I would have it set at 3.4!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Have you double checked the voltage with a volt meter?
    I would have it set at 3.4!
    Both my balance chargers say the same voltage, so I know its accurate. You have to remember that the weather I'm running in is approx 14*F (which really sucks, can't wait for summer lol), and any warmth generated by the batteries is sucked away by the snow-caked chassis.

I'll bump it to 3.4 in summer like you said, but any advice for winter running? Should I keep it where it is?

RC Qualifier
    because you charger only see the rested voltage not voltage under load

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    I know that, however 3.7v resting voltage isn't fully discharged (should be around 3.4-3.5 ish) I was asking if lowering it would be safe in this situation.

I wouldn't lower it I have the 120 wp hw ESC. I have mine for 3.4v and stops at 3.6v which is OK. Under load it stops your lipos which is a good thing because if you lower it anymore your going to dip the lipo voltage too far.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    I know that, however 3.7v resting voltage isn't fully discharged (should be around 3.4-3.5 ish) I was asking if lowering it would be safe in this situation.
    You may know that, but I don't think you are understanding what he is getting at.
    Under load, the batteries are at least hitting LVC... 3.2. They could even be dipping below that... don't forget that you do NOT want your LiPo's to dip below 3v/cell under load.

Cold is very hard on LiPo... it stresses them out and they don't perform the best.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    You may know that, but I don't think you are understanding what he is getting at.
    Under load, the batteries are at least hitting LVC... 3.2. They could even be dipping below that... don't forget that you do NOT want your LiPo's to dip below 3v/cell under load.

Cold is very hard on LiPo... it stresses them out and they don't perform the best.
    Ok that makes sense. I didn't know they'd be damaged so much from going under 3v under load. Thanks!

RC Racer
    I agree with jimmy when you punch the throttle the battery is putting alot of power out and when it is at say 3.5v per cell then it may dip to your lcv and it will shutoff. Maybe set your lvc higher so when it does get these high power discharges it doesnt dip below the 3v range. This is oly the way that i understand lipos so dont dog me if im wrong

In short that's what in was trying to say what Jimmie said. Also respect your lipos they will last longer and so will your truck
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Really isn't recommended but unless the battery voltage is pretty low under load drop below 3v would be very quick and would not do damage. I have recorded runs that dip that low but it was in milliseconds and did no damage