RC poster

A few Mods to make my 1/16 Summit more like my 1/10 Summit

I have had my 1/16 Summit VXL for 2 months now and did a few mods to make it more like my 1/10 summit.

First thing I did was install a Spektrum receiver and a ******* 2200mah 2s lipo ( which required a little trimming on the battery door ) and realized this thing is way to fast for my liking, I was not looking for a crawler but this thing was crazy fast !!

So next on the list was to do the gear swap mod in the transmission along with a 55 tooth spur gear and 15 tooth pinion, I also programmed the Throtle expo on my DX3s radio to -50% to help low speed throttle control without affecting the full throttle capabilities, Those mods made the low speed driveability much better but it still has enough speed to satisfy my needs ( If I want to go fast I can always run series packs or a 3s lipo.....or just pull out my Ken Block Rally car )

Next was to address the issue of no lights but after a trip to my LHS where I picked up a front and rear light set for a 1/10 Summit I was good to go, the lights fit the holes perfectly and with a little soldering and shrink wrap the harness was shortened to the appropriate length

The last mod I just finished up was the Dual steering servo install, I programmed the 3rd channel of my dx3s to be mixed with my steering channel and simply bolted in the second servo, I know I could have just upgraded the stock servo to something with a higher torque rating but I like the Idea of dual traxxas waterproof servos, it just looks cool While I had the servo saver apart I cut some spring shims out of Traxxas Plastic body washers to tigten up the servo saver action so I could take advantage of the extra torque of the second servo without eliminating the servo saver completely.

after those few mods It suits my needs much better, It still has enough speed to pull wheelies and do some jumping and also has the low end power and steering torque to be alot more capable on the rock pile. It's by no means a speed demon or a Comp crawler but it is more of what a Summit was intended for.....FUN !!!

Last edited by Pete32200; 02-02-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: wrong pic
    Too many toys to list, And the list changes Daily

RC poster

RC poster
    Next on my list is some 500k weight diff fluid.

RC Qualifier
    Nice work. I like the look of the lights. Really makes it look more like the big summit. What would be awesome would be if they made the locking doffs for it. Well we can hope...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WesselDoubleT View Post
    Nice work. I like the look of the lights. Really makes it look more like the big summit. What would be awesome would be if they made the locking doffs for it. Well we can hope...
    that locking diff would be, well awesome. but is it possible? would or could it fit? not sure i dont or havnt drove the bigger summit.
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Racer
    Looks great Pete! For sure go with thicker diff fluid or maybe some Bad Horsie diff locker. That will help performance. Good stuff man.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

RC Racer
    Thought I would post a pic of my lights. Only took 5 min to install. These things are really bright
    Last edited by MacKenzie28; 02-03-2011 at 07:51 PM.

RC poster
    Doesn't the light kit come with 2 extra red lights? If so did you just cut them off, or what did you do with them?

RC poster
    Tail lights come with 4 extra that just get cut off

RC Racer

Summit with three rear leds. Didn't was to solder so I reamed a hole thru the middle of the bumper, can't have to many lights

RC poster
    I have locked both axles and now I need to do the dual servo mod. Can this be done with all stock electronics and contoller?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wm23n1 View Post
    I have locked both axles and now I need to do the dual servo mod. Can this be done with all stock electronics and contoller?
    Yep, There are 2 channel 1 outputs on the stock receiver, just plug the second servo into that port on the receiver.

I went to 500k diff oil instead of locking them but I may still lock just the front axle, Its much better but not quite the way I want it yet

RC poster
    i upgraded my 1/16 summit with velinion motor and esc and i bought a 2.4 g transmitter with linked receiver, its pretty fast on 55 tooth spur and 25 tooth pinion, will it be more faster if i replace the pinion with a 15 tooth pinion? need answer? thanks
    Last edited by ricky austria; 04-17-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Champion
    you will get more speed from a larger (more tooth) pinion. You have a 25 now (stock is 16 for the summit). You will get more torque and better low speed control from a smaller pinion. (or vice verso with the spur gears)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    What kind of wheel tires are those