Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Revo 2.5 to Revo Platinum build thread

Hey guys, was board si I started tinkering with my Revo 2.5 #5310. I did swap a 3.3 into it when the 3.3s first came out. It also has 17mm hubs. Other than that everything was stock. Arms, reverse, even the spur gear was all original, never broke a part. I caught the upgrade bug and decided to convert it to Platinum specs. Here is where it started:

Bought a 3.3 Slayer/Revo frame

Started the Deanodizing process using 30% Caustic Soda

Cleaned up and ready to install parts
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    Now the install begins.

Got the rear assembly put on with Traxxas wing mount and wing.

Now the Trans with a forward only kit and stock 38 tooth spur

Now the front end. The shocks have been filled with 50wt oil with stock pistons. Green springs in front, Tan for the rear.

RC Qualifier
    Electronics installed with 2.4 Traxxas radio. Traxxas 2075 Throttle servo. Jr metal gear steering servo. Slayer boxes. Servo delete plate for the second servo hole.

Dyed rockers black (not dark enough...turned blue) Traxxas sway bar kit. All pushrods are Traxxas red tubes. Still need to get the red turnbuckles. I am staying with the stock axles because......they work fine and are inexpensive to replace. 125cc fuel tank. Will upgrade to a 150cc.

Found a good deal on some Proline Badlands. Installed them on Proline Deserado 3.8 1/2 offset. Erevo bumpers. Stll waiting on the front sway bar links (the red ones) and my Platinum body.

How she sits right now with my Slayer converted Revo(Silver one). Will update when other parts arive.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bloody wheels View Post
    Electronics installed with 2.4 Traxxas radio. Traxxas 2075 Throttle servo. Jr metal gear steering servo. Slayer boxes. Servo delete plate for the second servo hole.

Dyed rockers black (not dark enough...turned blue) Traxxas sway bar kit. All pushrods are Traxxas red tubes. Still need to get the red turnbuckles. I am staying with the stock axles because......they work fine and are inexpensive to replace. 125cc fuel tank. Will upgrade to a 150cc.

Found a good deal on some Proline Badlands. Installed them on Proline Deserado 3.8 1/2 offset. Erevo bumpers. Stll waiting on the front sway bar links (the red ones) and my Platinum body.

How she sits right now with my Slayer converted Revo(Silver one). Will update when other parts arive.

I like the desperado wheels. I have two paris on the way. Could you please tell me which clutch bell/spur gears is best for these wheels? They are smaller than stocks on 5309. I'm running trx 3.3.

RC Racer
    My intentions was to convert my 2.5 to a 3.3 to platinum specs, but thanks to the good deals on eBay I went way overboard. And I'm still not done! Watch out. Modding these things is addictive.
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! BB Revo

RC Qualifier
    Lol. No doubt. I left this one stock for so long but too late to turn back now.

RC Racer
    I bought my revo for $20 and my intentions was to clean it up and flip it for profit. Well now I got way too much in it to make any kind of profit.
    Good luck with it. You won't be satisfied with it until you stuff a big block in it.
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! BB Revo

RC Qualifier
    Ive got an O.S.30 I thought about putting in my silver Revo. Its in a buggy of mine right now but I dont really like the 30. I would love to go O.S.21TM.

RC Qualifier
    Installed the engine with ez-start. (no comments I like the cheezy start lol). Motor saver air filter on stock Revo filter neck. Ths racing pipe, and Ofna fuel filter.

Installed bearings in place of the bushings in the throttle linkage.

Put some little springs on the disk brake.

Still more to come.......

RC Champion
    Platinum chassis with an easy start and stock flywheel...just doesn't seem correct.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
    Platinum chassis with an easy start and stock flywheel...just doesn't seem correct.
    Yea im not going for an exact replica of a Platinum. I dont want the center diff, or the flywheel with a bump box. Its going to look like a Platinum, just building it the way that I want it.

RC Champion
    I too prefer the platinum style layout,
    This is one of mine,
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

^^That's also the 5308 layout. The electronics boxes are now referred to as the Slayer boxes. I too agree that I like this look better than the older Revos or the current 5309.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I too like the Slayer electronics boxes. Less cluttered. My Platinum body should be in here in a few days. Any suggestions on a color? I was thinking maybe a pearl white or solid white.

RC Champion
    White looks good, as well as silver, grey, and black.
    A vendor on Amazon usually has the platinum body for sale for $21 to $26 shipped. I purchased 2 from them.
    Last edited by Zepher; 01-06-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    I am running 15/38 combo with the Deserados. My silver one is running 14/38 due to the larger tires. Its all up to you I guess but I like the 15/38 combo.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bloody wheels View Post
    I am running 15/38 combo with the Deserados. My silver one is running 14/38 due to the larger tires. Its all up to you I guess but I like the 15/38 combo.
    Thanks. I have 14, 16 cb and 36, 38 and 40 spur. I guess I'll try all combinations.

RC Qualifier
    My red aluminum sway bar links came in, along with my Revo Platinum body.

RC Racer
    Build threads are cool, good to see ya doin it your way. If I can recommend a ratio, try runnin ya 3.3 at a 15 clutchbell and 40 spur.
    TRAXXAS...................Should be :- KIXXAS.

RC Qualifier
    What kind of setup are you running with that gear combo? Like wheels and tires.

RC Racer
    JConcepts Rulux half ups with 1/2" offset wrapped in Badlands. My mate runs the combo you have pictured, Proline Desperados 1/2" offset, with Badlands. He also runs the same gearing as me. Both our tyre combos are very close in height, mine are just a little wider. My next combo will be the Desparados in 1/2" offset and Badlands. This tyre and wheel combo seem to fit each other better all round. The Desparados were not made when I got my set. Even when I get my new wheels and tyres my ratio will remain the same.

I have found for the bashing I do that gearing to be great. I don't think a big top end speed is real beneficial when thrashin around. I spose it depends on what ya into. The low gearing is helpfully however for chuckin wheelies " they never get old " and for hittin jumps with short runups, also for gettin out of corners real quick on the little circuits that get made in parks, and skate parks, BMX tracks or where ever we are.

Next time you drive, see how much straight you use to get ya ride reving at its " true " max RPM in second gear. I have found my mills don't get that oppertunity very much even with a ratio of a 15 bell & 38 spur. Hence me going to the 40 tooth? Maybe it's just where and how I drive, you may be totally different. It's only five bolts to make the adjustment, 3 on the spur, and two on motor mount. Quick and easy to try.
    Last edited by 3.3; 01-09-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    TRAXXAS...................Should be :- KIXXAS.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! I ill give it a try. I have to make a run to the LHS soon so ill pick up some gears. I sent you a pm too.

RC Qualifier
    Finally got my body in and painted it pearl white. I'm done with this Revo for now.......

RC Qualifier
    The truck looks good.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3