RC Qualifier

New Summit Questions

I am going to be getting my new Traxxas Summit on Friday, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tricks of the trade. These are a couple of the questions I want to know: 1. Do you have to break in the motor since it is brushed? (I have a brushless slash and have never had a brushed motor) 2. I have seen people who have had electronic problems with their Summits ESC so is there a certain way I have to turn it on and off or something? 3. Is it possible to make a trailer for the Summit so it can pull my Slash 2WD? (How would I attach the trailer to the Summit so it would break the Summit, but I could get it on and off?) Thanks for the help answering my questions! If you want to show me pics or anything about the trailer too that would be great! Thanks, J.C.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    1) Have to? No... but it won't hurt! Just turning it upside down and cranking the throttle trim up for 15 minutes or so will get the job done. Blowing/washing the motor out and lubing it up afterwards....

2) Traxxas suggests to unplug the ESC to power it down. I have not had any issues with my ESC... but I did have issues with the throttle center drifting. I thought it was an ESC issue, but it ended up being a radio issue.

3) I have seen a few trailers... and even fewer threads. But I am sure it can be done...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    What do you mean when you say to blow out and lube the motor? Could it damage the motor if I don't break it in like you said?

It may not last as long.

By blow out, I mean to clean it... compressed air, motor cleaner, ect. Then relube the bushings at the ends.
    This should be done periodically anyway... as a part of the RC maintenance schedule.

RC Qualifier
    So get like the canned air that you can use on computers. Is there a special type of lube to get? Also, do you have to take the motor off of the Summit, and if you do is it hard?

The canned air will work... so will electrical cleaner. The cleaner will do a better job of it.
    The motor needs to be removed to get to the pinion end to relube... only need to pull one bolt to get the motor out.

Regular 3in1 oil will work ,sewing machine oil or similar one drop for front bushing one drop for the rear bushing

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    So after I run it on with the throttle trim, I blow the motor off with the canned air stuff, and then get sewing machine oil and put a couple drops into the end where the pinion gear is attached. When I run the motor on trim to break it in, do I want to have the motor all ready pulled out of the gears, or do I leave it in so the wheels turn?

RC Qualifier
    Break the motor in in the truck. Remove the motor, clean the motor with electic motor cleaner, hit it with compressed air, then lube with 3 in 1 on both ends of the can where the shaft is exposed

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Sweet, Thanks for all of the help. I will stop by my local Hobby Shop and pick up some stuff for the motor. I will make sure to post a few pics of my New Summit when I get it. Oh, what is the difference between electrical cleaner and the compressed air? And I use them both?

You can use them both if you want... the cleaner will clean better than compressed air alone, but if you already have an air compressor there is not a real need for the cleaner. Good cleaner will probably evaporate before you can blow it out.

Running the motor for break-in can be done in or out of the RC... doesn't really matter.

RC Qualifier
    Any time limit I should let it run?

Post #2.....

RC Qualifier
    Ok. And when happymachinist said to lube on both ends where the shaft is exposed, does he mean if the motor was still connected and the gear cover is taken off?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    Ok. And when happymachinist said to lube on both ends where the shaft is exposed, does he mean if the motor was still connected and the gear cover is taken off?
    Where the shaft comes out of the can give it a few drops of oil and let it seep in between the bushing and shaft. You shouldn't have to take off the pinion off.

RC Qualifier
    I mentioned compresse air to blow out any remaining motor cleaner. I saturate mine pretty good, and hit it with a blow gun right away. Mine doesn't evaporate as fast as I'd like.

RC Qualifier
    Does this video pretty much explain what I should do before I run it? Both batteries too when I run the motor til the batteries die? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkwbW5_65c

RC Qualifier
    What is better, faster to do, and more effective. Breaking the Titan 775 Brushed Motor in with the Water Method or the Non-Water Method?

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Man that's totally up to you Gently running a pack through, setting the throttle trim, water break in, drive it like you stole it. There probably just as many opinions as there are Summiteers With my Titan I ran a couple of pack through at a reasonable pace. I water broke my Dewalt.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    I don't want to go through the water and all of that stuff, so I will just do the non-water one. Seems like it should work, even though people say the water one get more power out of the motor. Is that true, that you will get better torque out of breaking it in with water?

Yes, due to the brushes being broke down to match the commutator more. But you also remove a lot of life.

RC Qualifier
    So in a video I watched, the guy was wrong when he said that breaking in the motor in water gives the motor more power and a longer life?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    So in a video I watched, the guy was wrong when he said that breaking in the motor in water gives the motor more power and a longer life?
    That has been debated for some time now.I have never done a water break in on a cordless drill....Thats what these are, cordless drill motors.A break in is a good idea(I did my dewalt brushes dry on my charger two 15 minute cycles cleaned and lubed in between and after) for longer life.original motor i took it easy for the first couple packs no full throttle hard launches no long full throttle runs you want to keep heat down while the brushes are seating
    Better power transfer= less resistance = less heat build up = longer lasting happy brushes = a bit more power and a In theroy longer life so more fun per $$$$ spent.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    So after I break in the motor for 20 minutes, should I lube it and do it again for another 20 minutes? And after I lube it after the end of all of that, can I go out and bash it hard, or should I go easy on it the first I run it?

RC Champion
    You will get more power out of a water broke motor. But you drastically reduce the life of the brushes

RC Qualifier
    Sweet. Well, when I get it Friday, hopefully I get it Friday, I will run the motor and lube it. Saturday I will drive it around the house in low gear and lube the motor again that night. Then, when Sunday comes, I am going to let loose at it with my friends and see how much power it really has.

For the size of it.It goes pretty good.
    TIP ::::: stay outta its way when its movin.If It hits you it will leave a mark...lol and maybe if your lucky, a scar and a story. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I know what running myself over with an RC Truck feels like. Hit myself with my Brushless Slash the first time I drove it. Anyways, after I break in the motor of the summit on Friday night, would it be ready to go pretty hard on Saturday, or should I still plan to go easy with it for a day just to make sure that the motor is seated nicely? I don't want to wreck the motor on the second day of having it.

I have read of perfect break ins followed by a motor that only lasted months.
    I have also read of people that just pull it out of the box and beat the tar out of it and have it last for years.

Who knows what your motor is going to do...
    lol

RC Qualifier
    Well, every motor is built the same, but it doesn't mean they will all work the same. Guess I will just break it it, run it around the house, then go bash it outside. Maybe I can make it crawl over my little sister!!! LOL

Some break in has gotta help, but my first one I just drove it lasted a year.second one,I broke in lasted couple of months then spit a brush,luck of the draw.775 is a pretty hardy motor for the most part

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    1.) Just take it easy for the first couple packs.

2.) Pull it

3.) Clean it

4.) Lube it.

Every few runs repeat steps 2-4.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Thanks for all of the help everyone. I will try and get pictures up right after I open it, and I might have to make a video to put on youtube of me unboxing it.

RC Qualifier
    What is the best gear to run the first couple packs through after I break in the motor? And do I have to lube the brushes as well as the ends of the shaft?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Any gear.
    DO NOT lube the brushes. They need to make clean, direct contact with the commutator.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. I couldn't remember if you do or not. I will make sure not to though. You guys on this forum are probably the best group of people I know. You guys make sure to help out anybody with questions so they know what they are doing. Thanks sooooooooo much!!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC poster
    Don't put any oil on the brushes. You could run in low gear for a pack or two but I don't think it really matters that much.

RC Enthusiast
    this weekend i will be making a trailer for my slash 4x4 and DR-1. I will let you know how it works out. i due know i will be changing springs to stiffer rear since the trailer will be hooked to the summit

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I want to make one for my Summit so I can tow my Slash 2wd. I think it would look beast.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    LOL man you had tons of Question hahaha man and you made another forum about the same thing hahaha thats kinda silly... but this help me out too ahah jimmie thanxs for giving him the good advice haha