RC poster

Do not recommend

I hate to say it, but I do not recommend the QR-1, especially at its current price. I got my son one for Christmas, and after about four packs, it's now inoperable.

A couple of things bothered me before it went completely kaput. First off, one of the arms kept popping out on after nearly every flight. Also, I tried all the recalibration tricks, but this thing is finicky for flying.

Lastly, the nail in the coffin, is that the wires on one of the motors simply pulled out, leaving me with a hunk of plastic. Unless I can sell off the thing as parts, it was a waste. My son was heartbroken.

RC Qualifier
    You may be aware of this, but if you call Traxxas support they help out. I can't say what they will do, but sounds like they may just replace the entire bird.

I got one 2 days ago as an early gift and have beat the tar out of mine playing with it. I have been too rough with mine, but it still works and flies fine after a few minor repairs that cost me nothing. My point is I think Traxxas may have had some quality issues and sounds as if you got one of the crappier ones.

Good luck, but Traxxas Support will do their best to make it right.

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas will help as soon as parts are available I know how you fill I bought my qr1 and on the first 2 flights I lost a motor on each flight I had it for 3 weeks and only got to fly it twice The problem with mine was that the motors were wired backwards and they were running backwards this is not good after replacing the 2 motors and changing all the wiring I have ran about 10 packs with no problems The problem your having with the arms popping out is a good thing if they didnt pop out they would break I know mine was also doing it and I put one round of black tape on the seem and on the next flight I landed kind of hard and broke 1 arm off

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Buying a QR-1 and giving it to a kid is going to result in damage. This thing is not indestructible and its NOT as easy to fly as some may have hoped it would be. I think thats really the biggest problem with this unit as a whole. Quality control issues aside, its being advertised as a "beginner" product that is "easy to fly" when in fact, its not. Im going on my 6th or 7th SET of packs and havent broken a thing. But Im barely able to spin it in a 360... im taking it VERY slowly to make sure I dont wreck it. If you just grab the controller and start flying around (as many kids would), your going to crash hard and stuff is going to break. I honestly think a kid would be better off starting with a DR-1 as opposed to the QR-1
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I think flying in general is kind of tough when you have nevr flown before. But like riding a bike once you have it becomes a lot easier with a little experience under your belt. I have owned 3 other small helis one coaxil and two fixed pitch and now the QR-1. To me the QR-1 is the easiest to fly and the most durable and also the most capable of any I have own.

All that being said it is a real bummer on Christmas morning when your kid is let down. Not much can fix that now. Traxxas is wll known for taking care of their customers it may seem like too little too late right now but once you get the thing fixed up and your kid gets a hang of flying it the bad memories w2ill fade
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I opened up my QR-1 (orange - the fastest color) heli on Christmas morning. I made sure to read the instructions thoroughly while the first pack charged. Also, due to some previous helpful threads here on Traxxas, before attempting the first flight I added thin stick-on felt pads beneath each motor mount. So far I have run 4 full packs through it without even one break or failure of any kind. All of my flying so far has been over carpeted areas and with VERY cautious control inputs. It is inevitable that crashes and breakage will occur, but thus far I could not be happier with this bird.

RC Qualifier
    My motor wire broke off after only 5 flights yesterday and I'm a great flyer with tons of experience. It just happened out of nowhere. Guess I won't be getting the dr-1
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Qualifier
    flying a quad rotor heli is hard even for highly experienced people like jang, watch his review and see what I mean
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Enthusiast
    The wire on these motors are tiny I thought the wires pulled out on my first motor after taking the motor apart I found it was wired wrong turning backwards which probably burnt the wires off after the brushes got fouled up I also agree with pav the qr1 is not for beginners by no means I run mine mostly in expert mode and it is very fast but to me it seems easier to control than in beginner mode after getting the wiring fixed I have crashed it pretty hard also got it hung up in the christmas tree and to my surprise no problems so far probably 15 packs thru it so far

RC poster
    I have to say the qr1's do fly really nice but I ended up pulling the wires off the motor myself while I was taking it out. The motors aren't easy to get out. Called Traxxas and they are repairing it for $10, plus shipping. I got my son one for Christmas and one motor started acting up, When I went to take it out the bottom of the motor can was off, so it must have come loose and wasn't contacting properly. So that one will be sent in as well. They are so much fun to fly though, I just need to be more careful with those motors. I have a DR1 as well and I have had no issues with it. They fly nice as well, but I think the quad is more fun to fly.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Newaza View Post
    I hate to say it, but I do not recommend the QR-1, especially at its current price. I got my son one for Christmas, and after about four packs, it's now inoperable.

A couple of things bothered me before it went completely kaput. First off, one of the arms kept popping out on after nearly every flight. Also, I tried all the recalibration tricks, but this thing is finicky for flying.

Lastly, the nail in the coffin, is that the wires on one of the motors simply pulled out, leaving me with a hunk of plastic. Unless I can sell off the thing as parts, it was a waste. My son was heartbroken.
    ARe you sure because I flew my friends and it. Was cool and easey
    what's up guys

Remember 2 motors turn in one direction opposite the other two, that may explain why you are seeing different wiring on the motors...

I can't fly well, my first Heli I went through rotor blades worse than candy.... I ended up selling it... Now I do have a Non Traxxas Quad and I have flown the QR-1...

For a flying machine it's a beginners dream... But compared to ground RC's that do not have to deal with rotor wash, winds, turbulance,,, it's a totally different beast...

Thing is you bought a Traxxas,,, Go give Customer Service a ring and see why you bought a Traxxas.. They've not disappointed me.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous