RC poster

Pro-Line Masher 3.8s on my Stampede 4x4 VXl change of pinion needed?

Hi All

I have treated myself to a pair of Pro-Line Masher 3.8s and have put them on my Stampede.
    They look awesome!

My question is do I need to change the stampede pinion? and if so what should I change it to?

RC Champion
    3.8"? Yes, definitely use a smaller pinion. Drop at least 3 teeth, maybe more.

RC poster
    LOL thanks yep 3.8's I wanted it looking like a proper monster truck.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what pinion I should get?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Well, 9/54 is about as low as your gonna for but, don't know if it'll be low enough on a stock system.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    These things are monsters, I doubt you'll get a Velineon to turn them without heat problems regardless of gearing. You could try getting a better motor:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m213-3660-3000kv-8t.html
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC poster
    Wow you are right! They are huge and heavy tyres!
    Does anyone know another lighter tyre that will give a more beefy look to a stampede?

RC Qualifier
    If yer usin a 3.8" wheel , brushed e maxx tires are 5.75" tall which would be alot less than the 6.65" tall 3.8" mashers. I use a 3.2" wheel and use t maxx classic tires which are also 5.75" tall but squat a tad to 5.60" due to the taller side wall and not stock foams on my extended p4de(cough SL4SH cough). I have a maxx length body on it to make it look like one, heh. When i had my truck at the original p4de length, i used 5.30" tall wheely king tires on 2.2" wheels for a cool monster truck look. Proline is now making masher 2k's on the stock 2.8" wheel, which are 5.00" tall as another choice. I never had a velineon system, i used a mmp and 3800motor. then went to a hw sc8 and tacon 3660 3000kv motor. Gearin for both was 14/54.

RC poster
    Thanks you that has given me some ideas

Go proline 2.8 mashers they look so good dude and use 9-13t pinion with the 54t spur and get some fans for the esc and motor....peace...ps look into the hw sc8 and tenshock 4 pole 3400kv v2 motors they are well worth the money
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    I just bought the 2.8 trenchers last night.....they look better than stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I just bought the 2.8 trenchers last night.....they look better than stock!
    They are so good i have had mine for 7 months and never go back to stock ...peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    They are so good i have had mine for 7 months and never go back to stock ...peace
    I've been reading a lot that the trenchers causes the motor to become hot, Is this true?

They do put a bit more stress on the motor but not to much its because they do not lose traction like the stocks ones do.but use a vxl esc fan and a fan on the motor and dont over gear and you will be fine...peace

RC Qualifier
    They do put a bit more stress on the motor but not to much its because they do not lose traction like the stocks ones do.but use a vxl esc fan and a fan on the motor and dont over gear and you will be fine...peace
    Didnt know there was also a motor fan available. What gears are appropriate to use when running 2.8 trenchers? Not going for the 3.8.

RC Qualifier
    I've got 3.2's and that's the biggest I'd go. Those wheels are too big and heavy and are going to overstress everything and probably slow it down too.

when running trenchers with the vxl systen i would go 9-11t pinion max and use the vxl fan for the esc and a good single fan for the motor and you should be fine dude...peace

RC Qualifier
    when running trenchers with the vxl systen i would go 9-11t pinion max and use the vxl fan for the esc and a good single fan for the motor and you should be fine dude...peace
    The stock gearing from traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl is 11/54, so that will works out when running 2.8 trenchers right?
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-08-2013 at 12:22 PM.

RC Champion
    if you use stock gearing and add bigger tires, you're going to see an increase in temperatures between the motor and ESC. You'll need to monitor the temperatures and potentially gear down increasing torque to accomodate the larger tires.

Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    The stock gearing from traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl is 11/54, so that will works out when running 2.8 trenchers right?
    Yes dude i ran 11t pinion with my trenchers and fans on motor and esc....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    if you use stock gearing and add bigger tires, you're going to see an increase in temperatures between the motor and ESC. You'll need to monitor the temperatures and potentially gear down increasing torque to accomodate the larger tires.
    Yes dude i ran 11t pinion with my trenchers and fans on motor and esc....peace
    I'll make it a point to get an esc fan and a motor fan during the summer. What's the next lower gear? 9/54?

Yes dude the lowest is a 9t pinion so in the summer run a 9t and fans and you will as good as you can be....peace

RC Qualifier
    Yes dude the lowest is a 9t pinion so in the summer run a 9t and fans and you will as good as you can be....peace
    Cool! Will do that in the summer.

Thanks!