RC poster

Shock oil coming out of small hole when compressed??

Hey guys I also just noticed while compressing the Summit I have one shock that is bleeding oil from a very tiny hole at the base of the shock?? Can anybody give me some feedback please??

RC Qualifier
    It's normal, If you just refilled the shocks, just compress them a few times til the oil stops coming out
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC poster
    It's brand new so I guess they overfilled one at the factory?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, that could also happen. Just take it out and compress it a few times and then wipe the oil off with a paper towel. It should stop quickly!

RC Qualifier
    I going to tell on myself here......ONLY to possibly help someone from making the same mistake. It proves that we can all make a meathead mistake here and there; because I have been big into RC’s for over 10 years now and I knew better?!?! LOL

We don’t get a lot of snow down here in the South but we got 12 to 13 inches Christmas day. My son got his Summit for Christmas and couldn’t wait for a little snow bashing. Well after it was all over, as you could imagine the truck was pretty snow packed, so I dug/knocked what I could out and turned the truck upside down and left if for a couple days (BIG mistake) to let the rest melt away.

Now I know most all of you veterans know what happened, but for you guys that don’t………all the oil bled out of that tiny hole in the shock cap. Which for me it’s no big deal because I was planning on rebuilding them with 70 weight oil anyway, but for little man it was a big deal because I haven’t found the spare time to do it yet. Oops!!!!!
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    I going to tell on myself here......ONLY to possibly help someone from making the same mistake. It proves that we can all make a meathead mistake here and there; because I have been big into RC’s for over 10 years now and I knew better?!?! LOL

We don’t get a lot of snow down here in the South but we got 12 to 13 inches Christmas day. My son got his Summit for Christmas and couldn’t wait for a little snow bashing. Well after it was all over, as you could imagine the truck was pretty snow packed, so I dug/knocked what I could out and turned the truck upside down and left if for a couple days (BIG mistake) to let the rest melt away.

Now I know most all of you veterans know what happened, but for you guys that don’t………all the oil bled out of that tiny hole in the shock cap. Which for me it’s no big deal because I was planning on rebuilding them with 70 weight oil anyway, but for little man it was a big deal because I haven’t found the spare time to do it yet. Oops!!!!!
    Umm, I left mine for a month inside down, there was no issue with shock oil bleeding out.

There is always a chance that the bladder on the inside of the shock is not in there quite straight. If it does not stop after a bit of use, you may need to take off the shock cap and fix it. This would require topping off the fluid.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Competitor
    No oil should come out of the bleed holeif the shock has been assembled properly. The hole is only there to bleed out excess oil as you screw the top cap down. Also, make sure the little blue bladder in the top of the cap is "popped" or expanded before reassembly. As mentioned above, if the bladder is damaged or the top cap is not screwed on tightly enough then oil will leak out.

My LHS also suggested putting the shock back together with the piston at half stroke. This is because the piston shaft displaces too much oil if you put it back together fully compressed. If you put it back together with the shaft fully extended, as the shock compresses, it becomes pressurised. Try it on the bench without the spring on the shock and you'll see the shaft move out of the shock of its on free will.

I've just put 70w oil and double orange springs in my rear shocks. 40w up front on dbl orange too. Haven't road tested yet but am contemplating variable valve dampening kit 5461 for rear initially to slow down compression and help with rear squat.
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV