RC Competitor

Cool California Mille and related events, car nuts opinion's wanted!

Has anybody done or heard of this event? I have always wanted to do it and this year I have the funds to partake in it. Today I just took part in the anti-Football run sponsored by the same company and it was just an absolute blast. We had over 300 cars 25 years and older driving along the best roads in the bay area. At one point we had literally a line of beautiful classics, about 30 plus.

It started out by meeting at 8:00am at a restaurant on the water. I got there about 20 minutes late, so I had to look around for a parking spot. And with all the people cruising the lots, it was a little bit difficult. But I found a spot and turned in my registration form.

At 9:00, people started heading out. Since I didn't know anybody there, I headed out too. So, we cruised on the street until we got to a stop light before a freeway on-ramp. A very big loud, yellow car was in front of me that sounded great. It was called a Henrey Jay and it had a screaming v8 engine. He was being a total show off to everyone that was behind him though. He was one of the few cars there today that had a v8, besides me. Despite this I kept my cool and cruised onto the freeway. We drove on the freeway for about 10 minutes, and I realized what an amazing site had appeared. We were all in a line of 30 plus cars, driving on the freeway. It was just so cool, I got such a special feeling that I can't exactly describe.

For the beginning half, I got stuck behind a totally awesome Desoto Suburban. The driver in that thing was handling tight windy roads like a champ, I had a ball watching him. I kept plenty of room in between me and him, I didn't want to pressure him. Then the road opened up, and I passed him.

For about 20 miles we drove through unbelievable country side roads. The roads were through huge rolling planes and most of it was fresh pavement and everybody was just going at it. This road was perfect. I kept on thinking to myself how could it get any better then this. The only problem was, I was behind a Citroen DS and he was going slow. Finally though he pulled off to let me pass. He wasn't being a jerk, it's just there wasn't anywhere he could pull over to let me and a group of about 15 other cars go!

So now, I was in front of a group of about 15 cars and I couldn't see anyone for quite awhile. Since I didn't really know where I was going, I pulled over to let the group of cars in front of me pass. So as I watched them pass, I didn't notice any slow looking cars. About 9 of the 15 or so cars were Porsche 911's, so that was good news because I wouldn't worry about them going slow. But the Porsche that I was behind, MAN did that think sound good. Those older air-cooled Porsche engines have such a raspy sound to them I just love it. But then, I had to pull over to go to the bathroom. I really wanted to stay with this group, but I just had to go.

So after going to the bathroom at a pretty scary looking abandoned school, I was back on the road. But I was by myself and didn't know where I was going, so I pulled over and set my gps up which took about 15 aggravating minutes. They are such a pain sometimes. And I was delighted that I would stay on this same road for 22 more miles. Since I wanted to catch up, I really went at it. I have never pushed my car this hard and it was such a thrill doing so. It was just me, the road, and Eleanor. Turn after turn, I just couldn't get enough. It was a sensational moment, I was one with my machine. Before I knew it, I had caught up to the group of Porsche's and was back to doing what everyone else was doing, cruising. But I didn't really understand why everyone was cruising, the road we were on was perfect.

But, pretty soon the roads really opened up. There was a long straight away along a lake that everyone accelerated hard on, but I was laid back about it and maintained my cruising speed. And I'm happy I did, because at the end of the straightaway there was a stop sign that was a right turn onto a two lane road that was completely straight and you could see it for miles. So as I was pulling up to the turn, I saw that an old Alfa had broken down. Three cars were stopped at the stop sign trying to help the guy in the Alfa out. So I figured that they definitely know more then me about old Alfa's, and passed them up. But as I passed them, everyone accelerating hard onto the two lane straight road was all I could pay attention to. The car in front of me was that same Porsche 911, and he left that stop sign about 5 seconds before me and accelerated out HARD. That raspy exhaust sound was just shouting "Look at me!" So, I wanted to see if I could catch him. And I gave her all she's got, tabs fully open my car was just howling through the countryside and I caught up to him pretty quick.

By the time we hit our next turn, I had managed to pass the row of the Porsche's and a couple other cars so I was in front of the pack. The guy behind me wasn't pressuring me, so I brought my speed down to a nice cruise which our group maintained for about 15 Minutes.

Then at a stop sign, a Ferrari 355 passed us from the other road and he was going slow, until I caught up to him. He started going all out and I wanted to hang with him. And I ended up chasing this guy down through a mixture of windy mountain roads and open long straight away's.

Through the corners, I had some trouble keeping up with him but coming out of corners and on the straight away's I was right with him. But me pacing him led to some trouble, because I was miles ahead of the group of Porsche's, and the Ferrari wasn't going to the same place as the rest of the group. So, I got lost and had to regroup by looking at the gps and figuring out where the heck I was. After I did, I turned around and started heading in the right direction. Once I got back on the main road, I met up with a guy in a Sunbeam Tiger. He said he knew where he was going so I decided to follow him. So at the next stop sign he told me that there weren't anymore turns besides a right, and he let me go in front of him.

So once again, I charged through the countryside and was having a blast. And then, I caught up to that Yellow Henrey Jay that was being a total showoff earlier. I knew that his car had a serious v8 under the hood and the guy driving was a hot driver so I started pacing him. That was the loudest car in the whole show. When he got on the power it was honestly like a hurricane of noise. Despite all his loud noise, I was hanging with him just fine. And I ended up staying with him throughout a lot of the ride. But then, The right turn at the stop sign came up that the guy in the Sunbeam Tiger told me about, and I wanted to see if I could pass the Henrey Jay. Put him in his place, and show him that a new sheriff is in town. And sure enough, he went at it full power. I started accelerating as hard as I could out of the stop sign, and he was still going at it in front of me. But I was closing the gap between us. Before he knew it, I was passing him on his left. Victory. Afterwards, I ended up talking to him, and it turns out he had a 700-hp supercharged Chevy in his car. Moral of the story, no matter how fast you think your car is, don't think your the fastest!!

So has anyone done this event or the California Mille?? I really want to do it after the amazing experience today!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Never heard of it... but thanks for the story! I enjoyed it!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    Competed in the Silver State Classic three times, the last time out clocking 162mph in the 7-mile straight. We were going to make the cage mods and such to go for 200mph, but a garage fire killed that idea.

Car #294 will be rebuilt some day...

I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

RC Qualifier
    Now I have heard about the silver state classic. Also seen a show with featuring the silver state classic. And must say I'd love to take my Subaru STi to that when I'm done building it.
    What are you running in your Eleanor? But def a great story, I'm jealous for sure. Wish we had some event like that here on the east coast for sure.

RC Qualifier
    I was picturing this whole country side in my head, sounded like a very beautiful place to drive.. Makes me want to drive it..
    What kind of car were you driving and pics would be nice..
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    ^^^^^^^what car were you driving^^^^
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm.. My dream car.. Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500, 6 speed of course, dark blue with black tinted windows..
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    I'm guess since he made the Eleanor comment, he's driving a mustang. A very special mustang at that. Watch the movie Gone in 60 Seconds.

RC poster
    You described it perfectly! I was at the same event and I saw your car! Absolutely beautiful machine! And I was in that row of 911's, but my dad and I were in the Viper green Porsche 914.
    Here are some pictures, they weren't taken by me though.

This was the starting restaurant that everyone met at:

Here are some shots of the roads we were on:

Last edited by 67SuperSnake; 01-03-2013 at 05:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That mustang will be mine one day, one day I tell you.
    Love that sun on the water shot!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    This is the EXACT blue I want, same model as well..yes it's a Shelby Cobra GT500

[IMG][/IMG]
    Never trust a fart.

RC Competitor
    Great pictures 67SuperSnake.
    Me and him had a great long talk about Mustangs and his nutty little 914! It was really nice to meet you and your father!

His Porsche 914 had a chevy v8 in it! Absolutely crazy car right there. Perfect car for the roads we were on too. My Mustang felt too big on a lot of the roads and had too much power. Maybe that's why I was the only mustang there that day Makes me think I should have taken the convertible instead of the fastback.

My Eleanor:

RC Qualifier
    very beautiful care man... read one of your other cars that had sevral pictures of Eleanor; i envy you. I absolutely despise fords, EXCEPT for the stangs; heck! i'd be willing to sell one of my Dodges to buy a car such as yours. P.S. Gone in 60 seconds was an excellent movie! really liked the pink Cuda that was in that movie as well...
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    P.S. Gone in 60 seconds was an excellent movie! really liked the pink Cuda that was in that movie as well...
    Liked the movie couldn't stand what they did to poor Eleanor!!!! They should have been arrested for it... lol

I like these planned cruises,,, I just don't think my 98 Honda Civic would fit in though.... loll
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    That picture so doesn't do it justice lol. You guys should have seen his Fastback it was absolutely amazing. Everything was mint, it was so clean you could eat off the oil pan, or any part of the car for that matter. I mean he must not drive it more then 200 miles a year...

@Nitronaught yes these events are extremely fun! This was my 2nd time going to this specific event with my dad and it was just awesome. Tbh, as long as your car is fun, events like this are fun. Everyone was encouraged to bring cars that were 25 years or older, but there were plenty cars that were newer. There were two 2010 Corvette Convertibles, a Ferrari 458, a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, a Lamborghini Gallardo, Two identical Lotus Exiges, a Nissan GT-R and a BMW M5. It's funny though, these cars got the least amount of attention. Just goes to show you how alot of people classics are so much cooler. The two Ferrari's were parked next to each other and the Desoto Suburban was parked next to the Ferrari's, and everyone looked at the Desoto and then passed up the Ferrari's. It was really funny to watch. And speaking of crowds of people, you guys should've seen 67Mustang's fastback.... Every time I looked at it 20+ people were always crowded around it. People just dig older Mustangs it's crazy.

And I just got a feeling too that the people who owned the newer cars didn't know much compared to the guys with the older cars. The new car guys were young, and all flashy looking just like their cars, while the older guys would be in a leather jacket with racing gloves in an Mgb roadster like they were in a le mans race. They just looked like they knew the ropes so much better.

RC Competitor
    Interesting points Nick regarding the Ferrari's and such. And everyone thank you for the compliments on my car. It's what keeps me doing what I do in life.

When you build a car, when your resurrect a car from the dead and make it your own, just the way you want it is a truly special thing to do. Not only are you restoring American history, but you are bettering those around you. Imagine if everyone drove a Honda Civic or a Toyota Prius or a Dodge pickup. A car would be a "tool" to all of us. Having beautiful cars that put smiles peoples faces is doing a favor for every person that see's your car and enjoys it. That's what I love about cars, they are essentially art in so many ways. You just have to have something special and beautiful enough that the car can make you take a step back, and think of everything in a different way. And to be the person that created that art, enjoyment, excitement and amazement for the many people that see your car is such an amazing feeling.

That's why I chose the Mustang as my car. So many millions of people know what a Mustang is, so many millions of people can relate to a Mustang. Whether it's the cars look, countless stories of drag races, first kisses, trips and breakdowns, so many can feel like they have a special relationship with a Mustang.

My car doesn't get out much at all. I have had the car built for 4 years and she has 947 miles, including the 132 mile driving event. So before that, she had 815 miles. She is the queen of my treasure chest.