RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Picked up a Mini Digger for my daughter

I just couldnt resist. Futureshop had them on sale for $140... so $155 taxes included. My daughter LOVES wearing her little kid backpacks around so I thought she'd probably like the backpack as well.

She cant really drive it yet. She doesnt get RC control and I doubt she could hold the radio. BUT... ill probably take the motor out and let her play with the truck alone. Then put things back together when she's ready to drive. Honestly though, for $150ish... how could I resist.

Im not sure where most people talk about the mini digger, what subforum it should be in. If someone could let me know I can post in there.

Pave
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    That's awesome man! She will love it for sure, starting her nice and early with the RC madness hey!! Futureshop has got some good deals on Traxxas RC's at the moment, I need to stay away, the p2de vxl looks tempting, same with the digger
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

I was surprised how fast my 2 year old daughter caught on to RC... yes, at first she only turned the wheels; but eventually she found the trigger! Now if only she could coordinate both operations at the same time. lol But I think it would help if she could actually reach both controls at the same time.

Open field, re-geared to go VERY slow (trans flip, 10?/55), ESC in training mode, constant supervision.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Got any pics there pave?
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    WOW!!! Thats cheap. My LHS had a digger for $224......So I bought my 3 year old boy a brushless MERV. He loves that thing and he is a great driver for his age. I trained him with my Losi micro-T. Good find Pave!
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    This thread is useless without pics!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    This thread is useless without pics!
    We should have an acronym for that. UWP (Useless without pics
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    lol Kind of hard to get pics when you don't have it. I am assuming he ordered it online because I am pretty sure they don't carry them in store. I could be wrong. Love FS for their free shipping to

Quote Originally Posted by bloody wheels View Post
    WOW!!! Thats cheap. My LHS had a digger for $224......So I bought my 3 year old boy a brushless MERV. He loves that thing and he is a great driver for his age. I trained him with my Losi micro-T. Good find Pave!
    Yeah super cheap man. Take a look at all the prices, some really good deals on the MERV, EMBE, X0-1, P4de, P2de etc... Bad time of the year for me, or i'd picking up another 2 models probably

Only ordered it 3 hours ago... hehe. No pics yet. But I promise, there will be.

You can get an XO1 for $880 or something. A summit is only $500... amazing deals right now. I almost feel like stocking up or something. Hehe. I debated between the digger or a brushed mini revo. The Mini revo was $40 more and I really liked that the digger included a back pack. I can probably turn the digger into a 4X4 for less than $40...

Anyway, my plan is to take the motor out at first and just let her play with the truck (she likes trucks, even makes shifting sounds when she "drives" them). Then ill give her the radio and lock the steering to one side, jsut let her do circles. Then ill hook it all up for her.

I love the idea of flipping the trans jimmy. I was going to gear WAY down, use training mode and set the dual rates and end points really low on the radio but flipping the trans would be more effective. Should be easier since its only 2wd. Thanks for the idea.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im not sure where most people talk about the mini digger, what subforum it should be in. If someone could let me know I can post in there.

Pave
    Its just a 1/16 Revo with the front drive line removed. So the 1/16 Revo or 1/16 Summit section would be a good place. Its a bit confusing though. Its a Monster Jam truck so some people post in the pede section even though it shares nothing with the pede chassis. And for some strange reason the 1/16 vehicles are separated even though they are the same thing just with a few different parts. There really just needs to be a single 1/16 forum or a new section made for the 1/16 forums.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Only ordered it 3 hours ago... hehe.
    I knew that
    Never trust a fart.

I agree that the 1/16 Digger doesnt have an appropriate forum. it fits into a number of them. Its not a big deal. Ive got enough experience with all of the 1/16's I wont have any questions. Id just like to know where the best place to update with pics and changes and stuff. I feel like the 1/16 summit forum is most appropriate. Its more like a summit than anything else, just missing the front drive. I guess ill post stuff there.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Stephan81 was awesome enough to let me "buy back" the TQi I sold him a few days ago. So now ill have a nice, light, 2.4 radio for Cali to use when she's ready.

Thanks man.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Very cool, I got my son one in the summer, he did pretty good for 3 years old but when I added the 4x4 it really made it easy for him to drive, it was around $75 for all the parts just getting them at my LHS, I agree there is no good forum for it.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    If she's anything like her dad, it wont take her very long to figure out how to drive this new truck. My boy has been driving rc's since the day he could finally hold the Tx on his own. Even when his arms got tired (almost instantly) from the ol 27mhz boat anchor, he would just leave it on the floor and use it like that. Once your daughter sees that the truck moves when she messes with the tx controls, she'll be hooked for sure!

Everyone laughed at the fact that Future Shop started selling Traxxas RTR's and parts (myself included) but their prices are a thing of beauty compared to the lhs around here, especially during this time of year. Already picked up 2 brushed Merv's ($183+tax each) and my P4de just before x-mas ($335+tax). All of them right off the store shelf, and they've got tons of electric Platforms in stock, Zero nitro though.

You'll have to post a pic of ur girl wearing the Digger backpack, that'll be a cute one for sure!

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Summit for 500??? Might have to get me another one
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Champion
    Not a problem Pave, glad I could help and the little one will have a easier time with the TQI, I recommend taking the wheel off as well, the foam around it, will make it a little smaller.

I doubt FS ships to USA (I believe they aren't in the USA anyway, could be wrong). And if they did, shipping and customs would kill you SummitCrawler. Better off getting it from tower and leaving us canadians with the killer deals hehe

They have them in store Baldy? Didn't know that, though they were online only. Atleast the FS's I have been to didn't have them, cool beans

Many of the FS's here in ontario have a whole isle dedicated to traxxas.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Many of the FS's here in ontario have a whole isle dedicated to traxxas.
    Same here, tons of stock parts and Traxxas alloy upgrades as well. They also have a huge extra storage cage full of RTR's. The one bunk thing about the FS stores carrying RC's is that they dont carry any lipos, not even one. No lipo chargers either.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 01-02-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

The future shop in Newmarket Ontario had lipos and the charger. I was very surprised. No lipo models though. Just the older Nimh kits
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Wish i could get one or two for that price! I know nothing about future shop and didn't realize i cant have one shipped to me in the states. Unless I'm missing something? I'd love to pick a couple up at that price to have for either my kiddos or some other local youngsters.
    Great find!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

Wow...
    I know where I'm getting my next rc..
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Just bought 2 more.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Decent price for sure, Looks like the sale ends today according to their website.

Just bought 2 more.
    Hey Pave, So much for that resolution

My resolution is to stop spending every extra cent I have on RC and guns and actually start saving some money. Thats it... im not going to commit to anything else. Just one major life adjustment at a time.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just bought 2 more.
    Wow Luke!!!! I expect to see a great Traxxas display before we hit the trails.

You guys wanted to see some pics... so here they are.

The one in the middle is Cali's... but the body, wheels and tires and bumpers are all coming off.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Congratulations on your purchase. You can look forward to a long lasting bond with some great father daughter time!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Man that's awesome Pave & congrats on the purchase!! Very very stout little platform (I know you have the same). After 4 months of bashing and running into stuff the little guy cracked the chassis in the front. I'm sure it had to do with using the T-Bone bumper and pushing the impact to the next weakest spot. Doesnt help he has a big block in it either. Castle 5700 with Vapor Pro ESC. Its a beast. Man I can't wait to see pics of her playing with it.

Also glad to see you joining the dark side of RC (Grave Digger). LOL

BTW the little guy ( Korbin ) & I have tickets for Monster Jam this Saturday January 12th at Reliant Stadium in Houston. I'll definitely take some pics and post them the following days.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You guys wanted to see some pics... so here they are.

The one in the middle is Cali's... but the body, wheels and tires and bumpers are all coming off.
    Very nice!