Thread: Slash VXL 2wd

RC Qualifier

Slash VXL 2wd

Can a Slash VXL 2WD handle a 2s 8400 MaH Lipo Battery?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Noo. it wont be able To Fit!!!

RC Enthusiast
    You may need the extended battery strap, or one of the aftermarket velcro-style strap kits, but electronically, the VXL's rated up to 3S, so yeah, it'll handle a 2S pack easily.

Remember, explained as simply as possible..

MAh is capacity. It's how much juice the battery has, how much run time you'll get. It's still a 2s, 7.4 volt battery.
    Last edited by wunjee; 01-01-2013 at 01:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I am going to sell all of my NiMH Batteries and Charger so I can buy Lipo for my Summit I am getting, and I want to get a battery that would work for both. What is a good battery that would work. Why would a 8200 MaH not fit? To big or to Long?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Actually, an 8200MaH battery might fit on the stock straps.

Looks like the Traxxas-branded 7600 2S will fit in the standard straps.

Even if it doesn't fit, it'll be because it's too tall, most likely. At which point an aftermarket strap is easy to get, or even a couple strips of velcro, which works just as well.

As wenjee said,the mah number is like your gas tank,it has nothing to do with volts.
    Although I don't no why, unless you fly planes you want a battery with that many mah,it will work with minor modifications in a slash.
    It will take a while to charge,but you'll get a hour or more run time out of it.Depending on your motor and running conditions.
    And with that kind of run time I would be keeping a close eye on your motor temps.
    IMO 5400 mah is good for near 30 minutes of run time in a standard velienon system.And I still give the motor cool down periods between races.
    Now my castle 4 pole systems with hardenad steel Robinson gears,are a lot harder on a battery,but I still don't use a 8000+mah battery.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Agree. 5400MAh-6000MAh is plenty. That's 30-45 minutes of running a Slash. Honestly, I stick with batteries in the 3600MAh range because any more and I get bored before the battery's low anyway.

In the Summet, a pair of 5000MAh batteries will last you all day...

Ye,but that's the nice thing about lipos,you don't have to drain them.In fact I often take some of mine out and run them for 10 or so minutes and charge them back up as maintenance in the off season.
    Lipos and brush less motors,have imo, brought new life back to rc-ing.And are kicking the pants off nitro

RC Enthusiast
    I still run my nitros because to me, it's more impressive. You get the whole sight-sound-smell experience along with going fast.

But electric, after the introduction of lipos and brushless systems, has just made getting that same performance, and so much more, a million times easier.

If you think it's had a huge impact on RC cars, you should see what it's done to planes and helis..

I don't fly,but have heard what your saying,is 100% percent correct.
    And your not the first one i have heard say they miss the sound and smell of nitro,but that's what kept nitro out doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by wunjee View Post
    I still run my nitros because to me, it's more impressive. You get the whole sight-sound-smell experience along with going fast.

But electric, after the introduction of lipos and brushless systems, has just made getting that same performance, and so much more, a million times easier.

If you think it's had a huge impact on RC cars, you should see what it's done to planes and helis..

RC Qualifier
    For you guys that run Lipo batteries, what is a good charger for lipos and NiMH Batteries that can charge 2 batteries at a time, and it isn't expensive?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Do not cheap out on a lipo charger.

Lipos can easily become unstable at best, volatile at worst. You want to spend money on a quality charger. It'll save your batteries, it could save your house...

Invest in a good charger, invest in a lipo bag, and do it safely.

I personally use an older FMA Direct Cellpro 3S charger and I love it. Absolutely adore it. It was only like $50.00 and is fantastic. It's got a remarkably safe reputation.

I've heard good things about the Onyx 245

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAZZS&P=ML

It's everything you're asking for, but it's not cheap.

I want this combo just because it's cool-looking.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCADG&P=ML
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCADH&P=M

Again, I cannot stress enough. Do not cheap out on either batteries or chargers when it comes to lipos. They are probably the most extreme case of "You get what you pay for"..

The onxy 245 can charge two at once but I don't recommend it,the 235 charges one at a time but at a much faster rate.
    Look into this closer,as I'm
    not 100% sure,but i was told the 245,charges at 1 amp doing two bats at once?Have not seen it first hand.
    But,IMO, the onxy is not the cheapest by far.But it will charge every thing from your transmitter,to your cell phone,and is even firmware update able.Has a 10 battery memory,+++,but that's just my opinion.The 235 is about $89
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-01-2013 at 04:18 AM.

RC Racer
    If had the thunder t6 multi from hobbypartz for several months. Its great. 6a max charge up to 6s lipo. It also charges 4 batteries at a time. Each charger is 50w so 200w total. It only was $80. Only downside is that it needs an external power supply. I made one out of a computer powersupply for free. Got it at local computer store. Heres a picture of how it looks.

RC Racer
    Oh yeah it also charges everything like lipo, life, lead (car battery) nimh, nicd. Its awesome

That is kick butt,I love my 235 but that's wicked.Are the two pic's the same charger? they look different,maybe just the other side.Oh i see one is the power supply,nice job!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pede1497 View Post
    Oh yeah it also charges everything like lipo, life, lead (car battery) nimh, nicd. Its awesome
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-02-2013 at 07:25 PM.

RC Racer
    Yeah it has tons of different things you can do to it. Im really enjoying charging all my batteries and my brothers' at he same time.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Traxxas Summit, and a 2wd Slash. If you want a good vehicle, list some things you would want to do with it. Bashing, Racing, ect. Then get a vehicle that would work for all of those things you want to do with it.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah88 View Post
    Hello guys, i have plan to buy any traxxas. But i don't have good knowledge about that. Some friend have suggest me traxxas rustler vxl. What you think is it interesting and excellent??
    Rustler VXL's good, so is the Slash 2wd, Slash 4wd, Stampede 2x or 4x..

It's really, really hard to beat the fun-for-your-buck that you'll get out of a Slash 2wd. They're inexpensive, they're tough as nails, they have enough aftermarket support to build several trucks using no OEM parts, they're big, and they're just tons of fun.

RC Qualifier
    Agreed! ! !
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Billy-Bones, I want an 8200 Mah Lipo for it because I have a Summit as well, and would like to use both of them on same type of batteries at the track.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Try 6000mah
    That might be better in the long run,.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    This is the charger that i use but mine says Hitec on it they are the same works great has both power options 12v or 110 my Hitec was $80 with everything does one battery at a time but how many can i run at the same time

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...hargerplus6amp
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pede1497 View Post
    If had the thunder t6 multi from hobbypartz for several months. Its great. 6a max charge up to 6s lipo. It also charges 4 batteries at a time. Each charger is 50w so 200w total. It only was $80. Only downside is that it needs an external power supply. I made one out of a computer powersupply for free. Got it at local computer store. Heres a picture of how it looks.
    then it wasnt free if you had to go to the Computer store to get it
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts