RC Enthusiast

Castle creations sidewinder kv?

What does kv mean? Is higher kv faster? Is oower kv faster?what kinds of speeds would a stock svt raptor get with a 2s lipo and each tear of sidewinder? Thanks
    Rustler sidewinder 6900kv Stampede 4x4, Merv vxl

KV is how many RPM's the motor will turn per 1 volt of the battery. So for example the Traxxas VXL motor is 3500kv, that means it will spin 3500rpms per 1 volt of the battery. To figure how many RPM's the motor would run on a certain battery the formula would look like this. 3500kv X 7.4V = 25,900 RPM's. Now keep in mind this figure of RPM's is unloaded RPM's (the motor running by itself with no pinion gear on it) the actual RPM with the motor pulling the trucks weight will be lower and will never likely see the RPM figured in the equation. The equation is just to give you a general idea of what RPM's a motor will run with certain batteries.

As far as speed goes a higher KV motor would in theory be faster than a lower KV motor due to the ability of turning higher RPM's with a controlled voltage than a lower KV motor. For example 4600kv X 7.4V = 34,040RPM vs 3500kv X 7.4V = 25,900RPM. With that said there are a few other things to consider with KV ratings. Higher KV motors generally have less torque than lower KV making them more suitable for lighter vehicles such as on road touring cars. There's also one more thing to consider. The number of poles the rotor has, 2 or 4 poles. If you take two motors with the exact same KV rating, only one having 2 poles the other 4, the motor with 4 poles will have more torque and generally run cooler seeing as how it has more torque to get the vehicle moving easier. I think now all Castle motors are 4 pole.

As far as speed, it all depends on what you set the truck up to do. For the Slash most will recommend the Castle SCT Sidewinder setup. It has loads of torque and pretty good speeds as well. I ran a Sidewinder 4600kv setup in mine for a while but it ran too hot for my liking. The SCT system is perfect for this truck, runs cool temp wise with loads of power.

No I disagree..
    Castle SCT Race Pro
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

How can you disagree? he's 100% correct.
    But then again castle claims all their motors a one turn.
    Could you please explain that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    No I disagree..
    Castle SCT Race Pro
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

He's disagreeing on the sidewinder SCT being perfect for the slash. I also have the SCT Race pro. Both are rock solid systems IMO. On a budget the SW SCT will be great. If you have the cash, go for the Race Pro.

Oh sorry,get this,I called pro line to let them know what I think of there trans.
    They said it's my fault the 3800 sct is way to much for the slash and trans,I and many others think their trans is a over priced slug.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Oh sorry,get this,I called pro line to let them know what I think of there trans.
    They said it's my fault the 3800 sct is way to much for the slash and trans,I and many others think their trans is a over priced slug.

Billy you managed to get one of your anti Proline comments in a thread topic for castle motor kv ratings! LOL

Sure they appreciated your call. Especially after they sent you all the those FREE Parts for a Transmission you bought used
    Traxxas Slash all others are just Toys lol

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    He's disagreeing on the sidewinder SCT being perfect for the slash. I also have the SCT Race pro. Both are rock solid systems IMO. On a budget the SW SCT will be great. If you have the cash, go for the Race Pro.
    LOL ... I agree
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL