Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    It was hard to tell in the video, does it have a center diff?

The speed looks right for that gearing.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Champion
    Oops double post.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

I'm running 21/58 gearing at the moment with 2/3s...it's a blast...may change the 58 to a 56 for a while.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
    True, the top speed sounds about right but he makes it sound like it is lacking torque? It should still be able to either pull a wheelie or spin out pretty impressively even if the top speed isn't that impressive?
    After watching his video, I'm even more convinced there is nothing wrong with his car. Driving it in icy conditions on tires ment for dirt, there's no way you're going to get enough traction to pull wheelies. I've come to the following two conclutions.

1) His top speed is exactly what it should be for his setup
    2) His lack of torque is actually a lack of grip

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    After watching his video, I'm even more convinced there is nothing wrong with his car. Driving it in icy conditions on tires ment for dirt, there's no way you're going to get enough traction to pull wheelies. I've come to the following two conclutions.

1) His top speed is exactly what it should be for his setup
    2) His lack of torque is actually a lack of grip
    I agree, I saw no problem either, just needs traction and a bigger pinion if it's not fast enough for him.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    I suspect that may be the case, I'm going to change the gear and see where that takes me. If the motor seems to be the issue should I send it in for repair or buy a new one or put tenshock or some other asian motor replacement in there? What's the best bang for the buck I guess is what I'm asking.

RC Champion
    Maybe go with mod1 gearing.
    I recently built my erbe and went mod1 since I have a lot of steel spur gears from my nitro cars.
    19/40 with proline road rage tires hit 47 mph on 2x2S.
    Ground was still wet so traction was an issue.
    I'm going to test 21 and 22t pinions soon.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I already showed you with your gearing how slow you would go. I wouldn't even worry about it. Just gear up and you will be good

RC Enthusiast
    understood. Thank you

you're WAYYYY undergeared. try 58/22. i looked at your video, and that's what really jumped out at me. easy way to tell if your motor is bad is if it's getting really hot fast......meaning...150+ after just 2-3 speed runs up and down the street in cold weather with current gearing. it'll also smell "hot" so to speak.
    also, you're running on very cold streets...you're getting a tremendous amount of wheelspin from the motor. i can see it in the video.that's a big reason for no wheelies. you'll run alot faster on dry surfaces. you just don't have alot of traction going on...if you wanted the whole wheelie thing going on in the winter....light springs and light shock oil.

i run very thick oil...90wt on purple springs because i love to jump...very controllable and very few wheelies....anyway...hope that helps...after looking at the video...i don't see a thing wrong except being undergeared.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

Double check the throttle end set points. Being a used truck hard to tell what the last owner did..
    in the end it is your gearing, gear it up 18/54 is a good start.... then maybe a 21 or 20/54.......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you to everyone for the advice. I have all the gears on order and I will follow up with you and let you know what I find out. I kind of thought the same after watching the video, the low gearing may be over powering the slipper clutch and then the tires having no grip on wet or frozen pavement...is what it is. I would assume a higher gear may let it roll some, get some speed and maybe try to stand up. Wheelies aren't necessarily the goal but the ability to do them is cool and just about every revo in every video can do them on command or even flip over so...

As for the motor: I let my 7 year old daughter drive it around a huge parking lot for an entire pack (~30 minutes) and the motor wasn't even warm. I had the same thought that if the motor was having any type of issue it surely wouldn't survive that without getting hot or showing some signs of death.

if you are easy on the throttle, temps will be good.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    on a motor that was beat and overheated with magnet damage heats up quickly even going slow in minutes. your good!

RC Enthusiast
    So I believe I discovered the issue. Got the new gears in but it still didnt have any "snap". It had good speed but didn't seem to compare to fellow brushless maxxes in the neighborhood. I decided to check out the slipper situation more closely and discovered the aluminum shoes had been installed backwards (rounded edge facing slipper plate) so I corrected and it instantly made a difference.

However, now the spring has chewed through the bearing and it appears there is no method for protection....am I missing a washer or something that goes between the spring and the face of the bearing in the center of the spur gear? I have a brand new unopened TRA5352R. It has two cupped washers but the instructions state they are only used for nitro installs in place of the spring. I installed this system per the instructions (origninal owner sent half a spare clutch kit and I followed the instructions that were with it) but it doesn't seem to be kosher. Anyway, thanks for all the help. Please advise.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Shouldn't need the washer

RC Enthusiast
    I believe the bearing may have been crushed when we "super-tightened" the slipper clutch. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and I have a better understanding of how it works and is supposed to work, I just don't want it to happen again. I'll see if ace has a bearing that will fit and go from there. Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just snug the nut then back it off.
    Good luck finding the bearing

RC Enthusiast
    fyi, it was the clutch. I went with the hot racing double up system, still going easy for break in but a couple blips proves it was the slipper clutch. Thanks for all the help, the 21/58 gearing helped a ton too with overall speed