Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

ERBE seems slow?

New owner of a secondhand truck ERBE. I'm not sure what pinion it has but it is running a 58t spur gear. I am running 2x2s 5000mah 30C batts from SPC. I have calibrated the esc with the tx, performed a firmware upgrade with the castlelink, verified that punch/power and all other settings are not restricted. It is running the LT rockers and springs (but I have already ordered P2 rockers). It also appears to be running t-maxx tires rather than talons. The issue is this thing will not pull the front wheels off the ground and the top speed seems less than impressive. If I were to guess, the top speed would be roughly 35mph, it gets out-ran by a stock stampede on 2s. I know the pinion gear count is critical really for you all to help me but it just seems odd that acceleration and top speed are both unimpressive. Seems like I would have one or the other. Any advice?

Gotta know what pinion is on there. Only 2 screws take a peek.

Tmaxx tires wont add so much as to slow you down.
    4s at 30c is good power output (room for improvement though)

Welcome to the Forum
    Post up a picture when you get a chance.

Stock ERBE gearing is 68/18

Using a speed calculator on mine with Mod1 gearing (36/20) and 4s Lipo (at 4.0v/cell) on LRP Crimefighters i get a theoretical top speed of 64.67mph
    Last edited by Cameron; 12-31-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    If I remember right the theoretical 4s top speed with an MMM should be around 40mph. If your running the tmaxx chevron tires I believe they are also slightly smaller and much harder then revo tires. My e revo had tmaxx chevrons on the rear when I got it and the rims barely clear the rear carriers.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum. If you bought it second hand I would go over the entire drivetrain and look for binding or a seized bearing somewhere. My ERBE with 2x2s SPC 5000mah 50c batts and stock gearing does 41mph according to telemetry and it will end up on its roof if I mash the throttle from a dead stop
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Enthusiast
    I'll get some pictures and pull the pinion tomorrow to get a count. I put it on a stand and rotated the tires to see how the diffs sounded and the were quiet. Turning the spur by hand feels notchy but I've read this is due to the magnets in the motor (??). I thought maybe the tires on pavement along with the super soft travel the lt rockers have right now might be eating up all the power preventing the standing backflip from happening and maybe robbing general acceleration altogether. I still expect it to be more impressive than it is though. I'll see if I can get a qquick video of it running around. It doesn;t even really sound angry when it's running, I basically hit full throttle and hold it the whole time around a large parking lot and it never gets close to feeling out of control. close to the edge but not out of control by any means.

Easiest way to do a quick check for drive-line bind is to just loosen this screw and tilt your motor away from the ESC. tighten the screw back up to keep the motor from sliding back into contact with the spur and just give the truck a roll across the floor, it "should" roll relatively quiet and without a ton of restriction.
    There will be some noise from the trans and other lash point on the drive-line. But you will know right away if you roll it and it stops in a foot. My E-slayerPro4x4 pictured will roll about 10' on carpet just by giving it a little kick.

LT rocker travel shouldn't have anything to do with it not wanting to wheelie, i can wheelie my stock Lipo powered Summit in forward and reverse if i want it to.

Also to your point of putting it on a stand and rotating the tires, if you only spin one tire it wont make any noise while spinning the opposite tire, thats the diff internals working. If you turn both front or rear tires in the same direction that will give you a better idea of any noises it might make.

RC Champion
    Just a few possibilities....
    -Your running those 2s packs in series (as opposed to parallel) correct?
    -Have you changed any settings in the esc? If so set everything back to default and see if it has power then.

If those two aren't the problem then my next guess would be that whoever you got the erbe from may have run the motor too hot too many times. Over time that will weaken the magnet on the rotor which reduces power output.

The motor in that car has too much power for any mechanical setup problem to slow it down, it would just tear up whatever is slowing it down pretty quickly. If the motor is good and your clutch is tight you should either pull a wheelie or do a lot of spinning out when you peg the throttle on 4s.
    Last edited by candy76man; 12-31-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Does it go faster in reverse?

RC Enthusiast
    no it doesn't go faster in reverse, about half as fast to be specific. The harness is wired for series and I get 4 rings from the esc then 2 beeps before it's armed but it does feel like I'm running half throttle, esp when compared to an EMBE we have on hand (although it is novak powered). What would be the symptoms/testing procedures for loose clutch? The truck is not currently on hand for me to pull the motor and test the drive line but I will get this done tomorrow and report back. Thank you for the checklists.

A loose slipper would definitely let you know. It will really squeal at you when you first drive away.

RC Enthusiast
    ok is there any testing that can be performed against the motor to determine if it is the issue? I will try to get a video of this thing running down the street tomorrow if the weather cooperates. I texted a friend of mine to see if he could get the pinion count tonight and I assume he is reading this thread and will push it across the floor while he's at it to see if the drivetrain has any bdining...

if he takes the spur cover off, place his thumb on top of the slipper and roll the truck on the ground. if he can roll the truck easily without the spur turning the slipper is waaaaay loose.

RC Enthusiast
    we believe it is a 14 tooth pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Now that someone has mentioned it. Check that slipper tightness. My truck really squeals when the slipper is loose. Some rigs, like my slash hardly make a noise.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If its a 14t pinion that could do it. Right now I run a 21
    Tighten the slipper nut fully then back off 1/4 turn

Well 58/14 according to the calculator is just under 30mph. So this may be a case of just being under geared.
    Although 68/18 isn't a whole lot better at 32mph.

Based both on 4.0v/cell 4s lipo 2200kv and a 5.9" tire diameter.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Should really punch in 3.7 v will never pull 4volts

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fat1 View Post
    ok is there any testing that can be performed against the motor to determine if it is the issue?
    I don't know how you would go about testing the motor to see if it's putting out the power it should but if you eliminate all the other possibilities it only leaves the motor being bad...and from what you have said so far that seems to be the way things are pointing.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

But, but, but, that makes it even worse lol.

Here you go

68/18 = 28.99mph
    58/14 = 26.44mph

RC Enthusiast
    but undergeared that badly would produce epic backflips? or not...?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Your batteries could be weak too. Do you have any other batteries?

RC Enthusiast
    ok he loosened the mesh adjustment screw and the vehicle rolls smoothyl across the floor. However we have both noted the vehicle is very difficult to move when the mesh is set and the motor is engaged. Is that normal? Notchy is the only way I can describe it...I'll order some pinions, is 18/58 where I should start or go right to 21/58 or both...

So if it comes down to it, send it to castle for repair and pay the fee or buy a new one or put an asian variety in it's place?

RC Enthusiast
    yes I have 3 sets, 4x SPC 30c 5000mah and 2xSky Lipo 20c/40c 4000mah. The SPC's were only marginally better, I'd say C rate was the difference...balance charged on icharger 206b with meanwell 350w modified power supply from epbuddy.com

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes its a 4 pole motor so that is normal
    I would go for the 21 pinion

Do an internal resistance test with the 206 and see how how the readings are
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-31-2012 at 10:39 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    ok we'll give it a shot and report back. I did notice the notchiness was not as tight after I ran it the first time today but it is still there

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Really need to be around 72 to be accurate but you will get an idea. Mine are around 2.4 over 10 their getting weaker

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fat1 View Post
    but undergeared that badly would produce epic backflips? or not...?
    Not necessarily, If it's geared lower (more rpm at the wheels) that motor can get the wheels spinning a lot faster much quicker producing more violent acceleration...but the gearing he's running definitely shouldn't feel anemic as he's describing and a wheelie (or throwing a rooster tail if no traction) should be easy to do if the slipper isn't preventing it.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    He said it feels like it's going about 35mph and he's running a 14t pinion on 4S... That sounds as anemic as it should be for that gearing and battery configuration. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the setup other than it's not setup the way it should be for the kind of speeds he wants to get.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
    He said it feels like it's going about 35mph and he's running a 14t pinion on 4S... That sounds as anemic as it should be for that gearing and battery configuration. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the setup other than it's not setup the way it should be for the kind of speeds he wants to get.
    True, the top speed sounds about right but he makes it sound like it is lacking torque? It should still be able to either pull a wheelie or spin out pretty impressively even if the top speed isn't that impressive?
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast
    To me it does look sluggish. I have had mine since X-Mas and can offer no advice but mine on 4s with stock gearing flips if I pull the throttle hard and 5s wheelies at full speed.

RC Qualifier
    have you tightened the slipper clutch tight and backd off a 1/4 turn.sounded to me like the slipper clutch was squealing

RC Qualifier
    Get a 18-21 tooth pinion, tighten the slipper a bit more and it should fly.

RC Enthusiast
    I did tighten the slipper clutch but idk how tight is too tight so I tightened about 1 turn total and then backed off just a "smidge" like a 1/16th turn. I'll look up the adjustment procedure in high def so I can see how tight is too tight and try again in a couple days. maybe tomorrow if I get out of the office in a timely fashion

RC Enthusiast
    I can only find 32p pinions in even numbers, all the odd numbers are "MOD1" but I don't see MOD1 spurs. This is on towerhobbies.com....you guys have any links? Thanks for all the help on this, I will keep you posted.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    I just watched your video. Do you know that the Mamba Monster IS NOT waterproof? Unless someone has done something to waterproof it. I saw snow and I wouldnt want you to fry ESC. Just a thought.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Enthusiast
    LoL we agonized over it but it was either run it or wait till summer around here. I chose to run but stay out of the snow, we haven't ran more than a pack through it so far...but I don't plan to make a habit of it either. Thanks for looking out for me though

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    going from 14/58 gearing(27 mph) to 21/58 is 41 mph. i think that will make a difference!

RC Qualifier
    the bl could be broken in not fuctioning
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.