RC Enthusiast

I'm knew and the racers at the local track think I am crazy....

Bought my son the Slash ultimate this year (the non-lipo) version.
    Got an onyx 235 charger and 2c venom lipo.
    Everything is stock and my son and I are having a blast running the car.
    Heck his first time doing some laps at the local indoor track were not fast but not bad for a kid who is used to toys r us brand cars/trucks.

The racers at the track are telling me that you won't win with a slash but you can put more money into it to stay competitive.
    I am not one of those guys that will show up with power supplies, 4 cars/trucks, etc.
    But to just go out and race, I figured some Pro-line ION tires (again carpet racing) and a transponder.

Is the slash better at bashing then racing?

Last RC I owned was the Tamiya Frog 25 yrs ago

Thanks for any advice.

I will link to a video of my son's first laps on the short course soon!

traxxas emaxx
    I put on rpm bumpers and a arms and the strc lcg chassis its good to go

RC Racer
    Yeah sure... I bought mine for my "son" too. Lol. I had the frog and the grasshopper. I'm enjoying the time with my son as well, which is more important than winning races. Have fun!

RC Qualifier
    Its a great starter truck. The ION tires would help out in the traction department. If your son is having fun thats all that matters. If he stays with it and really likes it you can build him a Losi/AE killer by installing the STRC lcg chasssis for $100 and the guys at the track will be singing a different song...
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxas emaxx View Post
    I put on rpm bumpers and a arms and the strc lcg chassis its good to go
    Thanks. Some guys are adjusting each shock position, each tire, it's crazy how they argue even over tire glue. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jrgold View Post
    Yeah sure... I bought mine for my "son" too. Lol. I had the frog and the grasshopper. I'm enjoying the time with my son as well, which is more important than winning races. Have fun!
    Yeah I was photographing the racing yesterday and the guys all know each other, thus the arguing lol, but they have one guy do all the tires, another work on everyone's shocks, etc. They just want to get rid of the bashers from wrecking them.
    I got yelled at by a racer because 6 stadium trucks crashed and I got them all back on the track and one yelled for me to get off the track. (I stayed in the middle of a non racing area until all cars passed. The top guys yelled at this guy to chill out. That by my marshalling, others were able to stay in the pits. I just didn't want to step backwards on a car.

Happy New Year!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDigger View Post
    Its a great starter truck. The ION tires would help out in the traction department. If your son is having fun thats all that matters. If he stays with it and really likes it you can build him a Losi/AE killer by installing the STRC lcg chasssis for $100 and the guys at the track will be singing a different song...
    Thanks!!! Transponders are so expensive now!

RC Champion
    At the carpet track I race my anza slash at, I along with some other fast guys, use the panter switch tires. They work really well and even after the pins where down, we spray some wd-40 on the rubber and it still hooks up well. Here's a link: http://panthertires.com/?page_id=42
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    upgrade to a castle 2400kv and mmm esc combo... you will pass them like they are going back wards.. hehe
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Champion
    Ahh dgudenau, I see you got to Larry's performance RC's! And he is correct, putting wd-40 helps with grip. We are not allowed to use traction compound on our track, so its our next best thing. I race every Sunday, I also race a slash. My names Alex, you might know me. Now back on topic, I highly suggest just practicing until you feel your son is good enough to get that strc chassis, or unless you go to another chassis, like the new lcg traxxas made up, or rce, SSC, etc. For your situation, I'm guessing you're at a clay/ carpet track, I would use the strc, stock traxxas lcg, or rce. They're all pretty lightweight so it will have nice agility. For outdoors and larger tracks, I would go with the SSC or the strc.
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Enthusiast
    Happy New Year Alex.
    Yes outdoors it's clay but indoors all carpet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RC poster
    He's Happy ? He's having fun ? so who cares what they say if he's enjoying himself

RC Racer
    it doesnt matter what track you go to, or any public place for that matter...theres always going to be atleast one jerk. the thing i like about my hobby shop is the nice-jerk ratio is about 50:1, so theyre few and far between. we have a dirt indoor track, one morning it was me and like 3 guys. i watered the track by myself and a few puddles were left over...the guy tried making a point by saying loud across the shop "we should have brought our boats"...its like, well then water the track yourself. ive seen a guy chew out a kid for stopping on the straight away (ill admit it bugs me too) but he lit him up and the kid ended up leaving because of him being a douche bag.
    if anyone ever yelled at me for being on the track marshalling, id just walk off and make em get their own cars...once they go flip, start making comments like "you make a better door than a window"

as for improving (your) sons truck, tires, lipo's, shocks, lcg chassis, motor+esc, axles- all in that order in my opinion. strc gets my vote all the way, i love mine and im glad i waited for it to get released. i was only disappointed with the battery mounting options because all i had at the time were 7cell nickels and theyre too long too fit...i made it work but this chassis is made solely for lipo.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks I know I made the right choice in vehicle because of course kids want the fastest, but traxxas is just so durable and fun. The good racers yelled back in my defense because guys were testing while marshaling and not paying attention.

What I don't want is for my kid to be disappointed, not in the results but how he is treated by adults. Amazing how the better racers are willing to talk shop etc but others are so focused you can't even say hi to them. Some realize just like any other hobby kids are the future.

In terms of tools, I have standard tools, etc but what's in your toolboxes?

RC poster
    A good set of 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5mm hex drivers. You can pretty much dismantle the whole rig with those.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni77 View Post
    Thanks I know I made the right choice in vehicle because of course kids want the fastest, but traxxas is just so durable and fun. The good racers yelled back in my defense because guys were testing while marshaling and not paying attention.

What I don't want is for my kid to be disappointed, not in the results but how he is treated by adults. Amazing how the better racers are willing to talk shop etc but others are so focused you can't even say hi to them. Some realize just like any other hobby kids are the future.

In terms of tools, I have standard tools, etc but what's in your toolboxes?

i use this, its not exactly the same, the wrench is different and my nut drivers are black.

i was able to put a pick in for digging dirt out of screw heads, temp gun, exacto knife, and a standard hex for pinion gear screws...i could prob throw some zip ties and velcro in too. some of the tools i dont use very often so i could really fit even more if i wanted but i dont need much more honestly.

RC Enthusiast
    I was just looking at this exact kit. How is it holding up?

RC Racer
    Losi race wrenches are probably one of the best and won't round out the screw heads as quickly as most, but they are a bit pricey in the $45 range. I've had the same ones for five years now and I use them a lot and they're like new. You get what you pay for.
    Team Greyhound: the 40+ mph club

Quote Originally Posted by supradrew View Post
    i use this, its not exactly the same, the wrench is different and my nut drivers are black.

i was able to put a pick in for digging dirt out of screw heads, temp gun, exacto knife, and a standard hex for pinion gear screws...i could prob throw some zip ties and velcro in too. some of the tools i dont use very often so i could really fit even more if i wanted but i dont need much more honestly.
    I have the same thing as you

I like it
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by supradrew View Post

I have the same thing as you

I like it
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni77 View Post
    I was just looking at this exact kit. How is it holding up?

well to be perfectly honest, the ratchet mechanism in the driver is just about shot...but it was my own doing. i had a radiator leak on my real car, turned out to be a loose clamp. no other tools in sight, so i put it to use and torqued about 4-5 clamps with it but i over-did it. i did see another kit with a similar driver that i may buy just for the driver.

even if i had to buy another tool set, i would still consider buying this one again...i just wouldnt work on my 1:1 car with it.

RC Enthusiast
    Lol paid for itself then I guess.