Thread: lipo

RC Enthusiast

lipo

what size and where could i get lipos for the 1/10 summit

RC Qualifier
    You should get two 2s lipos 5000 to 6000mah will be fine, I run mine on 2s 6000s and she goes great and the run time is awesome

RC Enthusiast
    where could i get them

RC Competitor
    Go for 2s 8000 mah from spc racing
    http://spcracing.com/index.php

RC Enthusiast
    will the 8000 be to much power

RC Competitor
    yeah! more than 2 hours of crawling with the same batterie set!

RC Enthusiast
    where could i buy them

RC Competitor
    follow the link.

RC Enthusiast
    ok sorry.... forgot to click on it

Spc quality lipo good price.But make sure you have a charger that is lipo ready

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    will the speed charger with the clips that can adapt to any thing work..... it works great for the stock batteries

Quote Originally Posted by kyle12 View Post
    Check the physical dimensions to make sure they will fit. And no it isn't too many mah's (power), but it might not fit in the battery bay.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    go for 5 A(5000 MAH) just to be safe
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC poster
    Spc lists the 8200 mah packs fitting the summit and e-revo.

RC Enthusiast
    so 2 8200mah would be 1640mha and that's ok for the car

RC Enthusiast
    ops forgot to add the last 0

RC Competitor
    Yea I use two of the spc 8200 in my summit and fit perfect.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thank for the info helps a lot

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Capacity has very little to do with power... voltage (cell count) is where the power comes from.
    The only way capacity can effect power is with available amperage.

so 2 8200mah would be 1640mha and that's ok for the car
    The EVX2 uses the batteries in series, not parallel; so the mAh will still be 8,200.

These were specifically made for the Summit, so they will fit.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 12-31-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    you guys use the 11.1 volt

RC poster
    The EVX-2 speed control won't handle the 3s 11.1 volt packs, you want the 2s 7.4 volt packs.

RC Qualifier
    I am getting my Summit on Friday, and should I buy Lipos if I only have the stock NiMH Batts that come with it? I will have a total of 5 NiMH Stock batteries that come with it, and a charger that only handles HiMH. Would it be worth the money to sell and then upgrade everything?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

That is up to you.
    I made the decision to go LiPo and have never once regretted it.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I would have 5 Batteries and an Awesome charger to sell, so I think if I can get I buyer in the next month, I will sell them all and go Lipo with a Lipo Charger.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

What ever you do, do your homework on your charger. Cheap chargers are very rarely cheap in the long run!

RC Qualifier
    What type of Charger would you recommend?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I use and recommend an iCharger.
    But Revolectrix, Hyperion, and (real) Thunder Power all make good chargers for a decent price as well.

You can have a 10 amp charge system that can support safely charging up to 6 same cell count LiPo's at once for about $125.
    You can have a 20 amp charge system that can support safely charging up to 6 same cell count LiPo's at once for about $150.

Both of these systems are 100% safe for you and your batteries. KSB, a moderator here, has personally seen what a cheap charger can do... they can burn down $100,000+ worth of equipment!

Here are a few threads to read through:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rger-vs-cooker
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...charging-setup

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. When you mean 6 same cells, does that mean it can charge six batteries that all have the same amount of cells?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Yes... as in 6 2S batteries or 6 3S batteries ect.
    The device is called a ParaBoard.

You can charge fewer at a time with it than 6, so you know you do not have to have 6 batteries to use it.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. I looked at the IChargers, and would the iCharger 306B be a good one for charging a group of batteries at the same time? I think it can charge a whole variety of batteries too. Here is the link!http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-306b.html
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

All iChargers can charge the same chemistries as they all pretty much run the same software and very similar hardware. The biggest differences between one iCharger and the next are cell capacity and amperage.

The 306 is a great charger, that is for sure!
    The two I was referring two in post 27 are the 106 and the 206. I have a few power supply conversion threads in the Alley, one of which describes a solderless SPS conversion where you can have a safe, reliable 24 volts at 40+ amps for about $25.

RC Qualifier
    go to the battery section of the summit info
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...mmit-batteries
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Qualifier
    Do you know how long it takes the iCharger 206B to charge 2 2s 8200 MaH Lipo Batteries at once?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    All this talk about "will it be too much power" or "running two will be 16000mah" etc.. makes me feel the need to say:

Google, 'lipo battery' and within one paragraph usually, you will learn everything you need to know! There's nothing mysterious about lipos or batteries in general, but you really need to learn more about them before you start spending money on things or damaging them!

You can put any mAH in the car, the more there is.. the longer it runs. The stock EVX-2 runs off of a total of 4-cells when running lipo, each cell is 3.7v. So four cells is 3.7v times four = 14.8volts. You can have 100,000mAh so long as you are still at 14.8volts, and you can have 5,000mAh again so long as you are at no more than 14.8v (when batteries are charged they are higher than that, but not for very long at all)

I am currently using two batteries in parallel with a different ESC. They are each 4S batteries, and at 5,000mAh. That's a total of 10,000mAh at 14.8v. 10,000mAh is good for a very long drive! (couple hours is no big deal for them)

So to answer your original question myself:

What size and where to get them: Figure out what you want to do with the truck, if you only want to drive for half an hour or so, just get one 4S 3-5000mah battery, and keep the weight down. If you want maximum driving time, get some 4s 5000mah batteries from ebay!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    Do you know how long it takes the iCharger 206B to charge 2 2s 8200 MaH Lipo Batteries at once?
    At a 1.22C charge rate it will take about 40 minutes from LVC and about 20 minutes from storage.
    If you want to keep it at the standard 1C charge rate; the charge time is roughly the same.
    --- Yes, this is for both batteries.

RC Qualifier
    40 minutes for 2 batteries, and possibly possibly and hour for 4 I am guessing. That is pretty good compared to my charger for NiMH Batteries that taked 45 min for one! Well, I guess I will have to sell all of my NiMH Batteries and Charger so I can go Lipo. Is there anything I should really now about Lipos? Can they not get wet or stuff?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

By design LiPo are what I would consider water resistant. The cells within the pack are sealed, but water can get in between the cells and corrode them if left wet all the time; which is bad.
    When I run my Summit through snow part of my maintenance procedure afterwards is to dry the packs with a towel, blow out the ends with compressed air, then set them in a dry and warm environment for a bit. I imagine if I did not have the air compressor I would get a container full of cheap rice to place them in after I wiped them down. Rice draws the moisture out of most anything.
    Keep in mind I NEVER submerge my RC. Most of the water is only on the surface, not deep within every crack and crevice.

4 8200mAh 2S packs charged all at once with a 206 would be about 80 minutes from LVC and 40 from storage.

I wrote this a while back... but most of it applies here too:

I apologize in advance for the length of this write up. However, I feel that it is important to have as much factual LiPo information as possible and to have it all in one location.
    That being said...

LiPo 101
    now in session

Rules
    1) NEVER discharge below 3v/cell
    2) NEVER charge above 4.2v/cell
    3) NEVER puncture your pack
    4) NEVER short out your pack
    5) NEVER use a pack that has puffed
    6) NEVER charge unattended
    7) NEVER charge at a higher C rate than recommended
    8) NEVER use a pack that has been over charged/discharged
    9) ALWAYS check cell voltage before connecting your pack to anything
    10) ALWAYS keep your LiPo pack well balanced

To calculate the charge rate of your pack
    mAh x charge C rate / 1000 = charge amps
    For example:
    A 2200mah 20-40C pack that states a 2C charge rate.
    2,200 x 2 / 1000 = 4.4
    This battery pack can be charged at 4.4 amps.
    - Please note that if no charge C rate is stated, 1C is standard.

To calculate the constant discharge rate of your pack
    mAh x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example:
    The same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

To calculate the peak/burst discharge rate of your pack
    mAh x maximum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example:
    Again, the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 40 / 1000 = 88
    This battery pack can provide a peak discharge rate of up to 88 amps.
    Peak rates are limited in time... unfortunately, this amount of time does not have an industry standard. This is how a lot of inflated discharge ratings can be claimed. In my experience, honest retailers/manufactures of packs will list the constant discharge rating along with the burst discharge rating and not only the burst rating.

Ratings
    When setting up your power system for your RC, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be warm... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last.

Parallel
    Running two LiPo's in parallel will double run time and also your available amperage... which is handy for high demand systems. Some misinformation I have read about the discharge C rating of packs in parallel is that the rating of the pack doubles. This is not the case. The C-rating of a battery pack is a fixed parameter of that pack; well actually it is the cells within the pack that have the C rating. Connecting two packs in parallel does not change either pack as they still have the same specifications, however it does create a battery "system" with twice the effective C rating. The packs are the same, but the parallel system is now theoretically capable of discharging at twice the Amp rate. This is much like the cumulative capacity available when connecting two packs in parallel.

Series
    Running two LiPo's in series will double voltage, therefore nearly doubling the speed of your RC. Capacity remains the same. The two packs ran in series MUST have the same capacity and discharge rate. They should be of the same brand as well as have the same amount of cycles on them.
    Be prepared to gear down when increasing voltage on your power system.

Charging
    There are many charging options out there... it can get really confusing really fast. The best advise I can give is to get the absolute best charger you can afford... your charge system is the backbone of your electric RC hobby, treat it as such. RC's will come and go, but your charge system will remain.

The following features are what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum for a charger... balance charging and a storage charge/discharge feature. Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. If the charger cannot perform these tasks, look for another charger. If you are going to be charging multiple LiPo's at the same time or 10th scale or larger packs, I recommend getting a charger that is capable of at least 10 amps. Also, ANY half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo's at a time. It does not require a dual or multi-charger to perform such a task. It only requires the right support equipment... I use a ParaBoard.

Here is what I have done...
    this information might help with your decision

I use inexpensive batteries.
    I have found them to be very reliable, extremely cost effective, and they have been proven to be under-rated; usually providing more mah and a higher discharge C rate than stated on the pack. SPC is a great brand that under promises and over delivers. There are others that claim extreme discharge ratings that are simply impossible with the technology that is available.

I use an iCharger 206B.
    When I purchased the charger, I thought I would never use all 20 amps of its capability. Well, now I rarely charge at anything less than 20 amps lol. I have even considered selling it to get more amperage! I have performed hundreds of charge cycles with this charger and it handles the task without a single issue.
    I highly recommend any charger in the iCharger line.

I built my own power supply.
    I have ~$30 into my 24v 75a 1800watt power supply.
    Sounds complicated, but it really is not that difficult. If you go this route, you are going to want a server power supply as they do not drop voltage when you are pulling amperage like a standard ATX PC power supply.
    You can also purchase these pre-built.

I hope this information helps!!

Here are some links to some more:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rger-vs-cooker
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...charging-setup
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ply-Conversion
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ply-Conversion

RC Qualifier
    ok. thanks for the info! It helps a lot! I was wondering though, what is so bad about the stock NiMH batteries that come with the Summit?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit