RC Enthusiast

Too Much Aluminum

Newbie to Rustler VXL, had Nitro T-Maxx 3.3 but that was a few years ago and a whole other story.

I have upgraded to an RPM front bumper, Traxxas aluminum steerting blocks, and Traxxas aluminum turnbuckles both front and back.

My experience with the T-Maxx was the the front end always took the most abuse so I was also thinking of upgrading to aluminum caster blocks, aluminum bulkhead, and aluminum shock tower. But at what point does the aluminum begin to out weigh plastic?
    Rustler VXL, Stampede 2.5, T-Maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Aluminum will always weigh more than plastic. It sounds like you're doing the right aluminum parts though. Also, a little extra weight on the front of these vehicles is welcome.

I might have stuck with the stock turnbuckles though, as they're made of steel.

RC Champion
    I built a 100% aluminum Ruster and was VERY surprised at its performance. It was going to be my speed run platform until I ran out of money and put the VXL stuff in it. These things LOVE weight... Especially in the front. It hurt acceleration but not as much as I was expecting and top speed is the same. The only thing I wouldn't do again is the aluminum chassis. If it had a carbon chassis, it would weigh a LOT less and I would expect it to accelerate much quicker.

Sent from my iPad mini
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    I might have stuck with the stock turnbuckles though, as they're made of steel.
    I did not know that, thank you. I have placed the original turnbuckles in the Rustler toolbox. Doesn't hurt to have extras!
    Rustler VXL, Stampede 2.5, T-Maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    The steel ones are much skinnier though... Making them weaker. Aluminum links are definitely an upgrade.

Sent from my iPad mini

Its all about the RIGHT blend of aluminum, and Plastic... Thats the key to all my trucks.... Works out real well.. Middle, and our on the edge of the arms..

Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    Usually it is good to leave at least the arms plastic because you have to have one breaking point, or else you will have major bending of aluminum in any decent crash.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Surprisingly, I have yet to bend anything and I've had some good crashes. I'm sure a full speed 3s curb shot would snap a bulkhead but jumping, flipping, and crashes on nimhs have yet to damage anything.

Sent from my iPad mini

RC Champion
    All aluminum always received a bad rap but imo you can NEVER go wrong with all aluminum i RARELY flip my rustler. and havent broken anything in awhile. i've been riding all aluminum for over a year very hard too. the only thing i dont do with my rustler is jump ramps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    I built a 100% aluminum Ruster and was VERY surprised at its performance. It was going to be my speed run platform until I ran out of money and put the VXL stuff in it. These things LOVE weight... Especially in the front. It hurt acceleration but not as much as I was expecting and top speed is the same. The only thing I wouldn't do again is the aluminum chassis. If it had a carbon chassis, it would weigh a LOT less and I would expect it to accelerate much quicker.

Sent from my iPad mini
    Do you mean 95% aluminum? The lexan, springs, tires, and hardwear would have to be another material...
    And there he goes with the carbon...

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    All aluminum always received a bad rap but imo you can NEVER go wrong with all aluminum i RARELY flip my rustler. and havent broken anything in awhile. i've been riding all aluminum for over a year very hard too. the only thing i dont do with my rustler is jump ramps.

Sorry G Rustler. But that setup wouldnt stand up to my insane bashing... I beat my trucks up, and even replace Plastic RPM parts from time to time. That Integy alum would buckle on the first run. I run em hard for sure.

That being said, That my Pede. At the moment, my Rustler is set for 100mph non bashing speed runs. Il convert it back to a regular setup.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Nor mine. At the very least you want RPM plastic arms. Something has to flex when you crash. I also prefer plastic shock towers but many go with aluminum.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    Do you mean 95% aluminum? The lexan, springs, tires, and hardwear would have to be another material...
    If you want to get technical... Yes. There's quite a bit that's not aluminum. Every part that could be aluminum and still function properly (with the acception of the front shock bodies) is aluminum though. The axles, hexes, wheels, tires, foam, rod ends, springs, shock shafts, shock pistons, hardware, servo, ESC, RX, wires, motor, gears, bearings, and battery plate aren't aluminum... among other things.

Sent from my iPad mini