RC Enthusiast

New Stampede Owner

New member with a new Stampede. New to the electric scene. I have a new Stampede VXL 4-wd. Ran 3 packs so far and here is my problem. Will not pull a wheelie-power seems ok but soft,speed seems to be good,but also has studdering when throttle applied (was told by someone it is called cogging). My son has a new 2-wd VXL Stampede and he can pull the front tires off the ground until pack runs down. I can run the same top speed-just don't seem to have the power on bottom end that he does. All new.all stock.even swited battery packs to make sure it wasn't the battery. Is this normal? Right now I am dissappointed withe the 4-wd. I thought the VXL's were not suppose to "cog" and had good power. What do you guys say? Again I am new to the scene-so may I have over looked something.So what do you guys think?

RC Champion
    it should be able to wheelie, maybe you need to tighten the slipper.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Enthusiast
    tighten the slipper-stright out of the box?I will check-thanks

RC Champion
    well if you want some real power u could upgrade to lipo batteries
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Enthusiast
    You are correct from what I have read and seen here and that will be one of the first upgrades to be done.but right now I need to get all my problems worked out first.

RC Racer
    Yup, LiPo up, only way to go in my opinion; night and day difference!

RC Qualifier
    Did it come with the lipo 2s? Mine does wheelies with the 2s.

Congrats with the stampede! It's really a nice basher.

RC Qualifier
    4wd is heavier and power is distributed to 4 wheels versus two. Your truck will destroy his in a race due to better handling, which is one of the purposes of 4wd. Tighten the slipper an 1/8 - 1/4 turn. Traxxas tends to leave it a little loose because a slipper prevents wheelies which protects the drivetrain and improves handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    No lipos-got a good deal on the one with the nicad batteries. I can already see it will be a good basher and yes lipo's are in the future. Now for the cogging issue. My LHS said this is normal and will probably get better with time. Have any of you had this problem? sometimes it is not to bad and sometimes it is. Trying to be easy on the throttle and all of a sudden a big rush of power and head on into a big rock-not good!

Thanks revoman 78 and slaughter 33..I will check the slipper. May leave it as is and see about getting a lipo first.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-31-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: post merge

If you got nicad batteries, that could be your problem. Or did you get nimh batteries?
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry-told you I was a noob....it is nimh batteries

Another thing to think about. You should not drain the nimh packs all the way down. At the first sign of the truck dramatically loosing power(dumping), you should stop immediately, let them cool and recharge. If you do drain nimh's down to nothing, they could end up soft on power after the next charge...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Competitor
    Had some serious cogging issues with mine running a 3s Lipo. Turned out to be a bad ESC. LHS replaced and I was back in business with little to no cogging. It only slightly cogged with very little throttle. I am able to pull wheelies all day long with my 2s and especially my 3s Lipos. Oh, also make sure you are not in training mode. ESC cuts power to 50% in training mode. Training mode = no wheelies.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Brian.cline for the info.Checked and the ESC is is sport mode. Cogging is still there after a couple of more packs. Stock batteries (minh) and was able to pull a few wheelies in the grass! Not in dirt or concrete-go figure. I think I need to step up to at least 2s lipo,but the cogging issue is what is bothering me. You can here it chatter at speed running on a smooth surface. My sons 2wd stampede don't have any of these issues. I may have to contact my LHS or maybe Traxxas-don't know.

RC Qualifier
    Cogging is 100% normal and will happen to some degree on even the best unsensored systems. The chatter you hear is the play in the drivetrain. Again, perfectly normal. I think the cogging effect is magnified on 4wd because of the more complex drivetrain.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Slaughter that makes feel alot better about this.

RC poster
    I received a stampede 4x4 for christmas, and right out of the box i dropped a 3s lipo in it. My Pinion gear had no threadlocker on the grub screw which fell out and ended up shredding my spur gear. It made it cog real bad till i noticed what the problem was. Not fixed yet, but you might check that.