RC poster

7.4V LiPo Vs 8.4V Nimh

Hi,

What if any difference will be noticed in a Brushed XL5 Stampede if changed from using 8.4V Nimh to 7.4V LiPo?

Wouldn't more power be provided by the Nimh since it is 1V higher than the LiPo?

For equivelant MAH in batteries (e.g. 7.4V 4200Mah & 8.4V 4200Mah) will one last longer than the other or give about the same run time? What advantages would be achieved from the LiPo?

Thanks for your help,
    Greg

RC Champion
    The 8.4 well hv more punch in the beginning , But the lip well last longer run time without noticing a lost in speed , the nimh well loose speed after a bit . If you hv both batteries time them out and c what happens .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If you took two identical RC's and two identical RC drivers, with the only difference being the batteries... in the beginning of the race the NiMh will probably be faster. But, by the end of the first few laps (and sometimes not even that long) they will be neck and neck because the NiMh's voltage has dropped to match the LiPo's voltage. As they continue to race, LiPo's consistent voltage and amperage availability will allow the LiPo powered RC to pull ahead and win, meaning at this time LiPo has the higher voltage and the higher amperage availability. If the track is really twisty and forces the driver to slow down and power out of corners, the superior amperage availability of the LiPo will actually beat out the higher voltage of the NiMh and the LiPo would not fall behind, even in the beginning.
    Also, if you want to take into account weight and dimensions; the same capacity LiPo is probably going to be about half the weight. If you match the weight, the LiPo will be about twice the capacity... meaning that while the NiMh is being charged (and NiMh can only be safely charged one at a time vs LiPo's capability to be safely charged in multiples) the LiPo still has enough capacity to race another heat... or two.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thank you both for your answers, you have been a great help.

Greg

RC poster
    To add to the question of LiPo vs. NiMh.......how about in drag racing with it's short distance? Would the higher V. NiMh be better ?
    Thanks and GOD BLESS
    glenn

I think for drag race lipo will be better

I think that because lipo has better punch
    It does have lower voltage but maintains it and descends slow and steady
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeair View Post
    To add to the question of LiPo vs. NiMh.......how about in drag racing with it's short distance? Would the higher V. NiMh be better ?
    Thanks and GOD BLESS
    glenn
    Yes , It would be for the shortest distance .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I think for drag race lipo will be better

I think that because lipo has better punch
    It does have lower voltage but maintains it and descends slow and steady
    The higher the volts the more punch , Saying a lipo 2s 7.4v won't hv the punch as the 8.4v nimh . this is for short time .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies........I do have one of each so when the weather breaks I guess a test is in order.....
    GOD BLESS
    glenn

RC Enthusiast
    Get the 11.1 3s and you will never have questions about the 7.4 or 8.4 again. You will however need to have your wallet ready because your truck will DISSAPEAR!!!! that is for a short period of time before you hear the sound of your truck hitting the ground from it's cruising altitude of 10,000 ft. Please fasten your seat belts and lock your trays in the upright posisiton, oh and we will definatley be experiencing some turbulance.