Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Hello to everyone! New member here...

Just want to say hello and what's up to everyone! Watched a lot of videos on the Stampede 4x4 VXL and all I could say is that I am a fan of that r/c.

I'm currently searching for one. Does anybody know where can I get one for cheap online? Does not matter what color. I just want to get a good deal so I can start bashing.

All i can say is do lots of searching on lhs and the internet and hopefully you with find a super duper deal dude.Welcome to the family we are always here to help...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    All i can say is do lots of searching on lhs and the internet and hopefully you with find a super duper deal dude.Welcome to the family we are always here to help...peace
    Thanks for the warm welcome man.

Any websites you know about that sells the stampede 4x4 vxl for cheap?

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    You could always get a rolling chassis off of ebay for somewhere around $150 and build the rest of the truck part by part. This way you wouldnt have to shell out a bunch of cash all at once and you get to pick the stock or upgrade parts you want on your truck. Check ebay for auctions and also be sure to check the market place here on the forum cuz theres usually some pretty decent deals on there and you can make offers as well. Welcome to the forum and good luck in the hunt for your new P4de! I'll keep my eyes open for ya!

Also, when you are looking around for deals, keep in mind that a slash 4x4 can be converted over to a stampede 4x4 with a chassis and a few other parts. Very simple to do the switch.

There are always slash 4x4's for sale on the market place.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8970704

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8970672
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 12-20-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Hey fanatic, welcome to the forum.

If you're a noob, I'd recommend buying a ready to run RTR truck. Like baldy said, look for a used one from the market place here (MP), or a new one off eBay or amainhobby. There are so many choices to make it's easy to get something you don't need or won't use.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    I just received my 4x4 brushless with LiPo from towerhobbies.com yesterday. Love it!! Good price, plenty of savings promo's to be had, and I received it in 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by pdl2mtl90 View Post
    I just received my 4x4 brushless with LiPo from towerhobbies.com yesterday. Love it!! Good price, plenty of savings promo's to be had, and I received it in 2 days.
    Good man welcome to the family tell us what you think after you taken it out a few times and if you get stuck we are here to help....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Hey fanatic, welcome to the forum.

If you're a noob, I'd recommend buying a ready to run RTR truck. Like baldy said, look for a used one from the market place here (MP), or a new one off eBay or amainhobby. There are so many choices to make it's easy to get something you don't need or won't use.
    Yup! I plan to buy a RTR truck.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    You could always get a rolling chassis off of ebay for somewhere around $150 and build the rest of the truck part by part. This way you wouldnt have to shell out a bunch of cash all at once and you get to pick the stock or upgrade parts you want on your truck. Check ebay for auctions and also be sure to check the market place here on the forum cuz theres usually some pretty decent deals on there and you can make offers as well. Welcome to the forum and good luck in the hunt for your new P4de! I'll keep my eyes open for ya!

Also, when you are looking around for deals, keep in mind that a slash 4x4 can be converted over to a stampede 4x4 with a chassis and a few other parts. Very simple to do the switch.

There are always slash 4x4's for sale on the market place.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8970704

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8970672
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually took a look at building from a roller chassis at ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-VXL-...dca925&afsrc=1

I basically did the math for the Stampede 4x4 VXL chassis above on ebay ($175 shipped) together with the following Stampede 4x4 VXL stuff all from ebay:
    -->Body - $36 shipped
    -->Tires/Wheels - $43.50 shipped
    -->Motor/ESC - $148 shipped
    -->Radio/Receiver - $54 shipped
    -->Servo - $23 shipped

Total came out to $479.50

$479.50 (Building a roller chassis) VS $499 (RTR Stampede 4x4 VXL)

A brand new RTR model in ebay can be bought for $499 shipped. That's $19.50 in difference ($499-$479.50). I might as well get the RTR stampede 4x4 vxl since it's only $19.50 more than a roller that I will build off from ebay.

Let me know if you could show me parts that could even lower the $479.50 price that I came up with. If your recommendation allows me to save more than $60, i'm better off building the roller. $60 savings and up is the magic number.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 12-22-2012 at 03:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The main reason for buy a roller is the stock tires are not very good and you will want to upgrade, you get to pick your own body and paint it to personalize it and the stock ESC/motor is decent but it is limited and there are much better options for similar price.

Honestly, you get the most truck buying used. I bought a used RTR only run twice for under $300 from RcTech. You can get heavily upgraded used pedes for $300-500 from various forums. Just depends on how comfortable you are buying used and how much patience you have to wait for one to come available. But you will save a ton of money in the long run if you plan to do any upgrades or run on 3S.

RC Qualifier
    You can get a new one for $450 from Tower.. And it comes with a Lipo. ( need to be a member)
    But also looked for used, got 2 over the summer RTR for under 250 each.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

You could probably do a little better on the motor/esc if you buy it off the market place, but not much better, maybe save $25 or so.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    The main reason for buy a roller is the stock tires are not very good and you will want to upgrade, you get to pick your own body and paint it to personalize it and the stock ESC/motor is decent but it is limited and there are much better options for similar price.

Honestly, you get the most truck buying used. I bought a used RTR only run twice for under $300 from RcTech. You can get heavily upgraded used pedes for $300-500 from various forums. Just depends on how comfortable you are buying used and how much patience you have to wait for one to come available. But you will save a ton of money in the long run if you plan to do any upgrades or run on 3S.
    I really want to run the stampede 4x4 vxl stock for now. If I get bored, then let the modding begin.

The problem right now is that I cannot find a used stampede 4x4 vxl. Lemme go check RcTech. They might have something there... Another problem buying used is that if there was a problem with it. I will have to return the truck to the seller, and file a dispute (if you used paypal). Too much hassle. However, if I find a used one in good running order then I'm all set. Btw, your also right when I buy nice used rtr. I will definitely save money when I upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    You can get a new one for $450 from Tower.. And it comes with a Lipo. ( need to be a member)
    But also looked for used, got 2 over the summer RTR for under 250 each.
    When you say Tower, is that TowerHobbies? If so, I did check out the website and the traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl starts at $501.99 shipped to me. Let me know if you have the link for the stampede 4x4 vxl for $450.

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    You could probably do a little better on the motor/esc if you buy it off the market place, but not much better, maybe save $25 or so.
    Yeah, your right. My goal was to save more than $60 if I ever build one from a rolling chassis.

RC Competitor
    I got mine (in canada ) at best buy for $419.99..

If you're serious about buying a new rtr 4x4 before the 31st of this month, send me a pm and i will give a coupon code for towerhobbies that will knock another $40-50 off the price. (codes expire at midnight of the 31st).

RC Qualifier
    Code 010AG will take off $65.00 bucks at towerhobbies. But only till the 31st!!!
    http://www.towerhobbies.com/coupon_codes.html
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    One thing to consider about these trucks..... this is how I buy a "new to me rc" .... if I've never owned it, I'll buy a rtr from the factory. This gives me all the stock parts, set up is close to correct 95‰ of the time, I don't have to worry about the condition of a truck I don't even know about. I can check the screws, parts, charge it and go. Then the learning process has begun from a factory set up and the right set up.
    If I own the truck already, or had one, I understand all aspects, tuning, factory, race, mods.... I can save money buy building from a roller. I know the trucks week points, struck points, and have a direct plan of attack or will with awesome results without the (?'s).
    I would recommend buying an rtr for a new owner because it gives you the right start, and an opportunity to see the progress of upgrades and their affect on performance. I think many people get a bum deal on used and just don't realize it, trying to make junk work. That ends in a failure that turns a customer away for good. If you buy used, first time, try to buy from a very well known seller with a strong rep for the condition of his trucks in previous sales. Then you know your formed opinion is of the true product, not a beater someone skated by you. Good luck
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC poster
    Code 010AG will take off $65.00 bucks at towerhobbies. But only till the 31st!!!
    This is what I did. Ordered Monday, shipped Tuesday, was on my front porch Thursday!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
    I got mine (in canada ) at best buy for $419.99..
    I'm from the usa and I would really like to prefer to purchase a stampede locally. Thanks for the input though.

If you're serious about buying a new rtr 4x4 before the 31st of this month, send me a pm and i will give a coupon code for towerhobbies that will knock another $40-50 off the price. (codes expire at midnight of the 31st).

I would definitely purchase one from towerhobbies if I cannot find one for less than $460. I'll definitely buy one before the 31st.
    No One,
    I checked out towerhobbies with the link you sent me. There's also a $10 off coupon. Will that apply as well? Thanks for the link btw.

RC Qualifier
    Pretty much one code per order. So just use the biggest.
    Brings its down to about $438.00 shipped to your door.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    One thing to consider about these trucks..... this is how I buy a "new to me rc" .... if I've never owned it, I'll buy a rtr from the factory. This gives me all the stock parts, set up is close to correct 95‰ of the time, I don't have to worry about the condition of a truck I don't even know about. I can check the screws, parts, charge it and go. Then the learning process has begun from a factory set up and the right set up.
    If I own the truck already, or had one, I understand all aspects, tuning, factory, race, mods.... I can save money buy building from a roller. I know the trucks week points, struck points, and have a direct plan of attack or will with awesome results without the (?'s).
    I would recommend buying an rtr for a new owner because it gives you the right start, and an opportunity to see the progress of upgrades and their affect on performance. I think many people get a bum deal on used and just don't realize it, trying to make junk work. That ends in a failure that turns a customer away for good. If you buy used, first time, try to buy from a very well known seller with a strong rep for the condition of his trucks in previous sales. Then you know your formed opinion is of the true product, not a beater someone skated by you. Good luck
    Well said man! So true on many aspects.

I'm really leaning towards a brand new one, but if I see a nice used one, I might just have to go for it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pdl2mtl90 View Post
    This is what I did. Ordered Monday, shipped Tuesday, was on my front porch Thursday!
    Very nice purchase man! Can't wait to get mines as well.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forums. Some really good points people bring up. But if you are new to the hobby. Just get a new RTR, run it and have fun and go from there. If you aren't new and are knowledgable with RC's etc... I totally agree with %99 of what people said.

But I was trying to look at it from a " noob " point of view, if I came on the forums and got all that info thrown at me I would be lost lol, wouldn't have a clue what part to get and so on, confusing info to a noob . Hey, I still consider myself pretty much a noob, no where near as knowledgeable as most of the guys on this forum. Infact, I have learned most that I know about this hobby from these forums.

Welcome and early congrats on your purchase, can't go wrong with Traxxas man, awesome stuff.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Qualifier
    Pretty much one code per order. So just use the biggest.
    Brings its down to about $438.00 shipped to your door.
    Wow! Definitely not bad for the price shipped to me.

My search for a new RTR stampede 4x4 vxl got halted by this:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792081

No One or any memeber in the forum,
    Do you guys know the seller in the above link?? He really has a good deal on his stampede, considering it has mods as well. What do you guys think?

Let me know guys!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 12-22-2012 at 09:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Some really good points people bring up. But if you are new to the hobby. Just get a new RTR, run it and have fun and go from there. If you aren't new and are knowledgable with RC's etc... I totally agree with %99 of what people said.

But I was trying to look at it from a " noob " point of view, if I came on the forums and got all that info thrown at me I would be lost lol, wouldn't have a clue what part to get and so on, confusing info to a noob . Hey, I still consider myself pretty much a noob, no where near as knowledgeable as most of the guys on this forum. Infact, I have learned most that I know about this hobby from these forums.

Welcome and early congrats on your purchase, can't go wrong with Traxxas man, awesome stuff.
    Thanks for the warm welcome man! I might have to purchase a used stampede 4x4 vxl because of this:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792081

Lemme know if you know the seller or if that is a good deal. If not, I'll just get the one at towerhobbies for $438 shipped to me.

Thanks!

If it were me, i wouldnt bother with that used one off of rcgroups. The guy started his account under a year ago and has only posted a total of 5 times. None of us will know him cuz not even anyone on that site knows him due to him not actively participating in the forum. He has a 0 trader rating which is hard to trust to begin with, and the only posts he has made are of him trying to sell this truck or to inquire about someone elses stuff thats for sale. Hes also way to eager to sell to whoever stampede_guy is (im assuming its you) and stampede_guy has zero posts. If he was a reputable veteran member of the site then id say go for it but since it seems so shady, id steer clear and get the new rtr from tower. That site looks altogether sketchy to me. Theres multiple threads of people asking to get their account deleted, as well as all their posts and threads deleted too, cuz they say they moved away and people can still find them via a google search. Not to mention some people even asking for donations. Doesnt seem to be a whole lot of moderation or any kind of control there, even all the buying/selling threads are privately moderated by the person who posted them.

We dont want to see you get burned on a deal like that, especially not during christmas. If its such a good deal he would have it listed on ebay. If it was listed on ebay, then id likely be inclined to buy it because both paypal and ebay offer buyer protection and would give you less chance of being burned. So either you risk losing 325 and get no truck if its a bunk deal or pay the 438 and get a brand new rtr that is guaranteed to be delivered to your door and also comes with warranty. Up to you man, but take care.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    Looks to be a decent deal cant say anything about them seller but the truck looks good in the pic and the price isnt bad.that being said what baldydaniels said makes sense I would want to talk to the guy on the phone and just make sure it felt right and even then for another $100 you have your own brand new truck
    Last edited by madscrapper85; 12-22-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Im not saying he isnt legit, he may be... Almost. He has 87.5% positive feedback, leaving a 12.5% fail rate. Thats better than a 1 in 10 chance of a deal going bad. On ebay, if a seller falls below a 98% positive feedback rating they get banned. Just food for thought.

That above complaint is from a member with a 100% trader rating, only 2 transactions, but 100% rate nonetheless.

He also had one other poor rating where he argued his side of the story, but not very well (cant post it due to foul language).

Kinda seems like he'd be alright to deal with as long as there are no complications whatsoever. Either way, its a different story if i were to decide to take the risk myself, that would be on me. But i could not in good conscience tell the OP to go ahead, as i would feel pretty bunk if the deal went sour. On a $5-50 deal, yeah id deal with him, but for $325, thats a pretty big risk.

These are just my thoughts on the subject and are in no way intended to harm the reputation of that member or that site. A seller rating is there to be taken into account when considering a purchase. Just think about it, would you buy from towerhobbies if there was a known and documented 1 in 10 chance of your item never showing up?

RC Qualifier
    If it were me, i wouldnt bother with that used one off of rcgroups. The guy started his account under a year ago and has only posted a total of 5 times. None of us will know him cuz not even anyone on that site knows him due to him not actively participating in the forum. He has a 0 trader rating which is hard to trust to begin with, and the only posts he has made are of him trying to sell this truck or to inquire about someone elses stuff thats for sale. Hes also way to eager to sell to whoever stampede_guy is (im assuming its you) and stampede_guy has zero posts. If he was a reputable veteran member of the site then id say go for it but since it seems so shady, id steer clear and get the new rtr from tower. That site looks altogether sketchy to me. Theres multiple threads of people asking to get their account deleted, as well as all their posts and threads deleted too, cuz they say they moved away and people can still find them via a google search. Not to mention some people even asking for donations. Doesnt seem to be a whole lot of moderation or any kind of control there, even all the buying/selling threads are privately moderated by the person who posted them.

We dont want to see you get burned on a deal like that, especially not during christmas. If its such a good deal he would have it listed on ebay. If it was listed on ebay, then id likely be inclined to buy it because both paypal and ebay offer buyer protection and would give you less chance of being burned. So either you risk losing 325 and get no truck if its a bunk deal or pay the 438 and get a brand new rtr that is guaranteed to be delivered to your door and also comes with warranty. Up to you man, but take care.

You definitely made a lot of good points Baldy. I'll really take what you said into consideration. And yes, I am stamped_guy on that forum.

After seeing what you posted above, I'm really torn now between a brand new stampede 4x4 vxl and a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
    Looks to be a decent deal cant say anything about them seller but the truck looks good in the pic and the price isnt bad.that being said what baldydaniels said makes sense I would want to talk to the guy on the phone and just make sure it felt right and even then for another $100 you have your own brand new truck
    I'll try to talk to the guy some more. Can't really take a risk with $325.

Im not saying he isnt legit, he may be... Almost. He has 87.5% positive feedback, leaving a 12.5% fail rate. Thats better than a 1 in 10 chance of a deal going bad. On ebay, if a seller falls below a 98% positive feedback rating they get banned. Just food for thought.

That above complaint is from a member with a 100% trader rating, only 2 transactions, but 100% rate nonetheless.

He also had one other poor rating where he argued his side of the story, but not very well (cant post it due to foul language).

Kinda seems like he'd be alright to deal with as long as there are no complications whatsoever. Either way, its a different story if i were to decide to take the risk myself, that would be on me. But i could not in good conscience tell the OP to go ahead, as i would feel pretty bunk if the deal went sour. On a $5-50 deal, yeah id deal with him, but for $325, thats a pretty big risk.

These are just my thoughts on the subject and are in no way intended to harm the reputation of that member or that site. A seller rating is there to be taken into account when considering a purchase. Just think about it, would you buy from towerhobbies if there was a known and documented 1 in 10 chance of your item never showing up?

Based on your findings, he really seems like a legit guy. $113 difference between the tower hobbies stampede ($438) and the quoted seller above ($325).

I'll just talk to this guy some more.

Again, thanks for all the input guys. You all have been very helpful.

RC Qualifier
    I personally like the new car smell!
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    ^^^Who does not want a new car smell??^^^

I do want that new car smell though... Lol!

RC Qualifier
    Got it settled guys...

I purchased the Stampede 4x4 vxl at towerhobbies.com. Used the coupon provided by member No One and got a big discount!

Thanks No One and all who helped. Will post pics when I receive it!

Sweet, Congrats on the new truck man! Now start saving up again cuz pretty soon you'll get bit by the upgrade bug!

RC Qualifier
    Sweet, Congrats on the new truck man! Now start saving up again cuz pretty soon you'll get bit by the upgrade bug!

Thanks!

Anyways, I just looked at aluminium shock caps and an aluminium engine mount. Will not mod til I get the pede broken in. I'm just fortunate that it comes with a 2s lipo pack. I'll Just have to bash here, bash there, bash everywhere for now... Lol!

I believe those are the first ones to mod on the pede. What other "first" mods are ideal for the pede? Anyone feel free to chime in.

Dude get the alu bearing adaptor traxxas part 6893x just because i dont trust the plastic one or get the kingshead motor mount. just replace stuff that breaks dont upgrade just for the sake of it theres no point...peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Dude get the alu bearing adaptor traxxas part 6893x just because i dont trust the plastic one or get the kingshead motor mount. just replace stuff that breaks dont upgrade just for the sake of it theres no point...peace
    Thanks for the input man!

I just want to make the truck stronger since the shock caps tend to come off with frequent bashing. I'll just keep bashing with it since I really want to know how the truck behaves and be able to control it well before upgrading the motor/etc. Not planning on upgrading the motor though. Maybe when I get bored with it, but for now I just want to run it stock with the 2S lipo. My plan was to upgrade parts that tend to break so I might get the shock caps, aluminium engine/motor mount, and the bearing adaptors in the next month or so.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 12-24-2012 at 02:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Truck came in today!

Will post pics later tonight.

towerhobbies.com is the best! Highly recommended.

I hope you like your new pede dude and just replace stuff when it breaks and enjoy fixing her when she needs an overhaul ..peace

RC Qualifier
    Pics: