RC Racer

looking for a charger

im looking for a new fast charger for my lipo and i have no idea wich one should i get my budget is a 100

I've owned the Onyx 230 and 235. Both were nice budget chargers and worked well for 2S packs. The 230 had no balancer and would only chage up to 3S packs, where the 235 has a built-in balancer and charges up to 4S packs. Problem with both of these is that on AC power, you won't see more than 6 amp charge rates for a 2S pack, even less for 3S or 4S. I think my 235 would only put around 3.5 amps into my SMC 5400mah 4S lipo on AC. That's not even a 1C charge rate.

A friend of mine has been using the Traxxas E-Z Peak charger for awhile now and I would fully recommend it if you're on a budget. Easy to use and seems to treat your lipos nicely compared to a lot of those other budget chargers. It's still an 80-watt charger, so you're not gonna be able to charge most lipos at more than 1C, but it works great if you have several packs or a lot of patience. Me, I like my Hyperion because I can charge any of my 2S packs at way higher than any manufacturer recommends. Now, my other pack is done charging before my first one dumps. I used to dump a pack and have to wait for another 20 minutes or so before the Onyx was done charging the pack that I started charging before I went out to run my truck.

RC Racer
    what do you think about the onyx 245 is that a good balancer

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty_415 View Post
    what do you think about the onyx 245 is that a good balancer
    The 245 seems to be good. Only bad thing I've heard about it is that you can't charge without balancing. Not really a big deal, but it does slow the process down. I'm not usually in that big of a hurry and always balance charge, but it racing, you're limited with time between heats and balancing isn't always necessary or practical.

The dual charging aspect is nice, but keep in mind that it's still and 80-watt charger. So you're limited to 40-watts per side when charging two packs. So, in theory, it's still gonna take the same amount of time to charge two 5000mah packs as it would to charge them one at a time on the 235.

RC Racer
    do you you know how long it would take to charge one 2s 5000 mah on the 245

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty_415 View Post
    do you you know how long it would take to charge one 2s 5000 mah on the 245
    If the pack is ran to LVD, you're probably looking at at least an hour.

RC Champion
    I use the onyx 245 and when charging my 3s 25c 5000mah in storage mold it take 1-1/4 hrs to charge and yes u hv to balance charge every time , but you can charge two batteries at same time .
    1 Rusty VXL

What features or specs are you looking for into a charger? Say if you want to charge a 4s at 10amps you'll need a charger with a Minimum of 170watts (before counting resistance). Now that same charger can charge a 2s up to 20amps( if the charger is capable). You'll need a good power supply but you can get a ham radio 360watt 30amp 11-15DC volt power supply for 30shipped.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    i can personaly recommend the thunder ac680. iv been useig mine for about 2 and a half years with no issues. comes with a ballencer and power supply for around 60 bucks.ballence charges a 2s 5000mah lipo from LVC shut off to full charge in about 1 hour. the only thing is if u want to use traxxas plugs you ether need an adapter or have a traxxas plug put on. cost about 5 to 10 bucks at a hobby shop or you can do it your self for next to nothing if u have a soderning iron."spelling". any way i think its a pretty good bang for the buck charger. they make a thunder ac6 wich is about half priced but has less power for faster chargeing of larger lipo's.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I agree with harry. Hyperion rocks, And I will not charge with anything else ever again. My http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...0720iNET3-ADEU Is 30$ over your budget, but well worth the extra cash.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    ^^^ my ac6 turned into a battery cooker. I will not go back due to the 130$ in lipos that were damaged due to that charger...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

I have a 245
    Great charger for price and simple to use the 235 however is difficult
    Charges up to 5a
    If you run more than 3s it won't work for you
    This is my favourite out of the onyx line up
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    I use the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus for my LiPo and NiMH batteries. I like it and it doesn't take long to charge either type of battery. Has a lot of nice charging features/settings built-in too. They're about $90 right now on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I have a 245
    Great charger for price and simple to use the 235 however is difficult
    Charges up to 5a
    If you run more than 3s it won't work for you
    This is my favourite out of the onyx line up

Why do you think the 235 is difficult to operate?

I been using a thunderpower tp610 for over 5 years and it has never failed me once. Seen a lot abuse too. Also note it's made in Korea same as the Hyperion.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP