Thread: Rustler Manual?

RC poster

Rustler Manual?

Hi,

My son and I are new to the sport. Santa brought a new Rustler for the holidays! We are looking for a good repair/maintenance manual. We have searched the web but have had no success can any one make any suggestions.

Thanks Kevin and Gus

RC Racer
    If you don't have the manual that came with it, just go to that product on traxxas.com, and flow the downloads link. Lots a great breakdowns, parts lists there. With the schematics it's pretty easy to take the car all the way apart and put it back together.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

RC Champion
    Hears what your looking for . http://traxxas.com/products/models/o...rustlervxl2012 and http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...707Lrustlervxl they have all the pdf downloads . the LX5 and the VXL hv pretty much the same parts . And welcome to the Forum .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Thanks for the info! We had the Rustler out yesterday putting it through it's paces and we acquired a nice shake and crunchy sound coming from the back end. I pulled the back end apart and tightened the slipper clutch that made the crunching go away. I also noticed that one of the rear half shaft was bent and the rear tires wiggled back and forth more than seems normal. I just had it out for a run and it seemed OK but can people comment about the tires and half saft.
    K

RC Champion
    There should very little play in the shafts . What Rusty do you hv ? If it's a XL 5 you might hv bushing that need changing if this is the case I would put bearing in it .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    It could be your wheel nut. Make sure it didn't come loose while driving. I was driving my Slash in a field once and lost a wheel nut. I bought $8 Traxxas locking nuts (blue, of course) and I never had that problem again. There should be minimal play in the shafts themselves, like rhardy stated above.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC poster
    Thanks we have an XL 5 and I think i will change the bushings any suggestions?

RC Champion
    Go with bearing they well last a lot longer , there is different sizes 5x11x4mm and 5x8x2.5mm . I thinking u hv the 5x8x2.5mm . I would changing the smaller one to the larger one down the road , I ran the smaller one for a year before going brushless , then went to 5x11x4mm with new bearing careers . You'll need 8 bearing , two per wheel . you can get them off ebay REAL CHEAP .
    Last edited by rhardy60; 12-29-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    If you have a new Rustler XL5 then they are 5x11x4mm bearings. I bought a set of 10 off ebay for my Rustler for like rhardy says, real cheap. Super easy upgrade and you'll need to do it anyway when you go brushless. You know you will.

RC Qualifier
    Bearings are cheap, but note you will need 8. There are two in each wheel.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    Go with bearing they well last a lot longer , there is different sizes 5x11x4mm and 5x8x2.5mm . I thinking u hv the 5x8x2.5mm . I would changing the smaller one to the larger one down the road , I ran the smaller one for a year before going brushless , then went to 5x11x4mm with new bearing careers . [You'll need 8 bearing , two per wheel . you can get them off ebay REAL CHEAP .
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    Bearings are cheap, but note you will need 8. There are two in each wheel.
    I think this is what i sad . Didn't I ?
    1 Rusty VXL