RC poster

Not able to hover with QR-1...

My wife picked up a QR-1 for me to mess around with and I'm having a bit of an issue with maintaining a consistent hover. If I try to raise my altitude to a couple of feet off the floor, it seems that it is constantly dropping back to the floor as soon as I try to back off the throttle in an attempt to stay at the altitude. It seems like backing off the throttle even 1 or 2 percent is enough to drop it all the way back to the floor before it catches itself and goes back up a bit.

Am I supposed to be constantly adjusting the throttle to keep it at a given altitude? I'm a first timer with any sort of copter, so I could very well be doing something wrong. I've tried the adjustments for stabilization but so far, no luck. Also checked to see that none of my motors are binding and they all appear to be ok.

Any suggestions would be great!

RC Qualifier
    If you're trying to maintain a hover, why are you backing off the throttle?

They will drift some in a hover, and I have found that the lower the Batts get the more throttle I need to add to keep a consistent height. Also, how far from the floor are you trying to hover? You need to be a couple feet at least to get away from the prop wash.

RC Qualifier
    The QR1 will move around, you have to fly it constantly moving the sticks to get what you want. It will not set in one spot for more than a few seconds, it will be best in larger open areas in calm air. If you fly in more confined spaces the air movement from the prop wash will make it drift...

From my experience this is just how most if not all micro sized Helis and Quads are. You are pretty much constantly making adjustments tot he sticks to keep them where you want them.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSnake View Post
    If you're trying to maintain a hover, why are you backing off the throttle?
    This may well be where I'm getting messed up. I'm giving it some throttle to get it to gain altitude, but I must be giving it too much and am dropping back to keep it where I want it instead of where it wants to go.

I'm doing pretty well with keeping it from wandering too much,so I think once I get altitude control down I may be able to start actually flying it some. I've got both packs charging now and will give this a shot.

Thanks for the advice!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah you'll get the hang of it and then look out lol....

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    Yeah you'll get the hang of it and then look out lol....
    Lol!! I'll feel so bad for my poor dogs once I get good with this thing!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    Lol!! I'll feel so bad for my poor dogs once I get good with this thing!!
    lol I chase squirrels here, they freak out and run up a tree with me right behind them...

RC poster
    Ok, after a couple more packs and one hard meeting with the ceiling resulting in an armature adjustment, I think I have a better handle on what I'm having happen. I can get a nice consistent hover as long as I don't try to get much past 3-4 inches off the ground (hard tile). Once I give it enough throttle to gain any altitude, it starts climbing but doesn't ever settle in at anything less than a hard stop. So to keep it off the ceiling, I have to drop the throttle back which brings it all the way back down to the ground in a sort of bounce pattern (it won't completely hit the ground, but never gets much past that 3-4 inch mark unless I increase the throttle).

Giving it enough throttle to gain anything seems to just send me to the top, even if it gains altitude slowly. At least for the time being, there's no chance of me hovering at a couple of feet as the manual suggests. But even with that, it's still fun to fly!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, it's late here and I can't go digging for the manual, but does it have anything in there about re-binding the radio?

If your going easy on the throttle, it sounds like the throttle curve is off, but I don't know if that's even adjustable with these radios.

RC Qualifier
    Mine was the exact same I could get it to hover 2-3in off the ground but any more and no matter what it would drift up or down. Pretty sure that's just the way it is.

RC Competitor
    You might try turning the sensitivity down on the throttle. That might allow you a little more movement on the stick and prevent those sudden changes. I started with mine very low and gradually moved sensitivities up. And I did experience what you are talking about initially. You have to lift it up with a good bit of throttle then quickly drop and add throttle till it stabilizes. The basic concept is that any drift in any direction means you are loosing some lift so it will drop a little. Seems like they even drop just using rudder and rotating. After much fiddling with trim and practice I have had a few times when it would lift easily straight up to hover but that seems easily upset with each battery change as to exact position and even the placement of the power wires. Generally constant inputs for both sticks seems to be the norm. Keep practicing, you will get it but it takes time.
    Last edited by bandg; 12-31-2012 at 08:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Going by the throttle readout 1 degree at a time and it wouldn't hover more that 2-3in buddy just the way it was.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bandg View Post
    You might try turning the sensitivity down on the throttle.
    I think you just helped me figure out a large part of my issue. As soon as I got it, I noticed the throttle was all the way down so I moved it to the mid point thinking that's where it should start from. I guess I never thought of it as a sensitivity. Just reset it back to full down and I was able to keep it in a much more defined altitude than before. Going to keep working with it, but I think I may be getting close to a breakthrough!

RC Competitor
    Great. It is a little tricky but that's part of the fun. It seems sort of like typing, as you get used to the controls you start to be able to do it almost instinctively. Happy New Year.