Thread: Servo Issues

RC Qualifier

Servo Issues

So I have been having some problems with my VXL steering lately. The servo isn't broken, but I think the horn (bolted onto the white piece of the servo) has stripped. It clicks and slips a lot, so I stopped using it to protect the servo. Being the VXL, there is no servo saver. I have the stock Traxxas bellcranks. I was poking around the web to try to find replacement parts, but I cannot find any. An aluminum one would be nice, but what do you all recommend?
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Are you sure you didn't just strip some gears inside the servo? I replaced the gears in mine twice before I upgraded.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    So I have been having some problems with my VXL steering lately. The servo isn't broken, but I think the horn (bolted onto the white piece of the servo) has stripped. It clicks and slips a lot, so I stopped using it to protect the servo. Being the VXL, there is no servo saver. I have the stock Traxxas bellcranks. I was poking around the web to try to find replacement parts, but I cannot find any. An aluminum one would be nice, but what do you all recommend?
    I would bet the gears are stripped I would upgrade to a metal gear I have had good luck with a futaba metal geared servo and cost was only 30 bucks
    Traxxas Slash all others are just Toys lol

RC Qualifier
    I thought the VXL has this setup

It has a servo saver built into the bellcrank. All that aside you can check the horn and see if its stripped by removing it and inspecting the teeth. I have not found the horn as a separate part number but you can buy the compete setup part# 6485.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, It has the bellcranks. And I know it isn't the gears because I took everything off the servo and it turned fine. No stripped gears there.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Those bell cranks like the pro line are junk,me an the rest of are race crew either glue them,or toss them.
    Try tightening it as much as you can,to be sure the lobes aren't slipping,If that fails try gluing it,In fact with that bell crank you shouldn't have a servo saver,that takes its place as the servo saver.
    The lobes on the side without the spring slide ,if the spring is lose.The pro lines we tried tightening them as fare as they would go,the lobes slip,glue them,or get the traxxas aluminum ones.QUOTE=geeves;5372791]I thought the VXL has this setup

It has a servo saver built into the bellcrank. All that aside you can check the horn and see if its stripped by removing it and inspecting the teeth. I have not found the horn as a separate part number but you can buy the compete setup part# 6485.[/QUOTE]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by geeves View Post
    I thought the VXL has this setup

It has a servo saver built into the bellcrank. All that aside you can check the horn and see if its stripped by removing it and inspecting the teeth. I have not found the horn as a separate part number but you can buy the compete setup part# 6485.
    me too
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Qualifier
    If its slipping or catching open up the servo and check those gears they're only plastic so not the strongest.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by f687s View Post
    me too
    Sorry U Confused i Fix 4 U

So I have been having some problems with my VXL steering lately. The servo isn't broken, but I think the horn (bolted onto the white piece of the servo) has stripped. It clicks and slips a lot,
    you can check the horn and see if its stripped by removing it and inspecting the teeth.
    Being the VXL, there is no servo saver. I have the stock Traxxas bellcranks.
    I thought the VXL has this setup, It has a servo saver built into the bellcrank.
    I was poking around the web to try to find replacement parts, but I cannot find any. An aluminum one would be nice, but what do you all recommend?
    I have not found the horn as a separate part number but you can buy the compete setup part# 6485.
    Last edited by geeves; 12-31-2012 at 05:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The servo gears aren't stripped, I disconnected it from the whole steering linkage three times and works fine. It's not the gears inside the servo.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

I'll try this one more time,as I and many others I know and race with,have dealt with this problem.
    The bell crank is junk,It's made to work just like the pro line,witch is junk.
    You can glue the v shaped lobes together,or if you want first try tightening the adjusting screw as tight as you can.
    On a short coarse race track there worthless,your truck is all over the place.Get a good servo,after that one you have now breaks,witch depending on how you run your truck wont be long,and your problem will be gone.
    I'm not saying a steel geared servo is indestructible,but it will let you control your truck a lot better,and a good servo can be rebuilt.

RC Enthusiast
    I second the servo saver.

I tried the ProLine bellcrank, thinking it'd be nice and smooth like the old Losi and Associated bellcranks.

Lol.

It bound, it slipped, it was awful.

I went back to my 3743X with a nice servo saver.

No problems since. I still run the stock servo. All's well.

RC Qualifier
    I race on an oval track, it's been good for me. I could probably use the blue Traxxas bellcranks, since the theme of my truck is blue. But for now, the horn is the most important part for me.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Oval track.the bell crank isn't doing any work,try running a short coarse with jumps u turns quick reactions.WE have a big oval,and for that, yes they are fine.
    I race on an oval track, it's been good for me. I could probably use the blue Traxxas bellcranks, since the theme of my truck is blue. But for now, the horn is the most important part for me.

RC Qualifier
    I run mine with the vxl bellcrancks on a savox 1258 on a 1/8 track and have no issues with steering.

What type of track ,and surface?I haven't had as much experience with the vxl set up ,but i know the pro line is worthless,on a rough short track
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    I run mine with the vxl bellcrancks on a savox 1258 on a 1/8 track and have no issues with steering.

RC Qualifier
    A variation of the track has jumps, and even when racing on it I get second place finishes a lot.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    A 1/8 very large track set up more for Buggys than sct. Big jumps table tops and 2 woop? Sections on red dirt loose when dry but pretty tacky when damp.

Sound cool,I'd really like to try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    A 1/8 very large track set up more for Buggys than sct. Big jumps table tops and 2 woop? Sections on red dirt loose when dry but pretty tacky when damp.