RC Competitor

New Summit Owner

Hey all I am the proud owner of a new Traxxas summit. I used to be big into 1:5 scale RCs.Having my Son a few years ago forced me to sell everything. My summit was a gift from my wife & son for Christmas (there way of letting me know I can start enjoying my own hobbies again). I am looking forward to getting back into my RCs The Summit seems like a good place to start. I am sure this question has been asked in here 100 times & I don't mean to beat a dead horse but if anyone has any suggestions for upgrades feel free to speak your mind. I have already purchased a second body, 2 led light bars 1 for each body, as well as a second set of wheel locks to match second body. I hope to get aluminum skid plates & upper/ lower aluminum arms as well. This been my first electric rc I am also thinking lipos is the way to go battery wise, not sure if I need a lvm for this or not any advice is welcome thanks & I look forward to interacting with you all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For its intended purpose, the Summit is VERY good right out of the box and requires no real upgrades to have fun. Certainly if a person wants to add eye candy there is nothing wrong in doing so, however this truck does not require it. LiPo battery packs can add significantly to to the overall run time of the truck. If the truck is a relatively new model it should have low voltage detection capability built into the ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Welcome!

If your ESC states "Low Voltage Detection" on it, there is no need for a LVA/LVC/LVD device as you already have one built into the ESC.

Out of the box the Summit is a rare RC that really does not need a whole lot... it does very well in stock form for its intended purpose! The best advice I can give is to give it a quick check over and drive it... if something goes awry, this is the place to come to; one of Traxxas' best tools is this forum. If there is an issue, we all are willing to give all the advice we can to get down to the bottom of the issue and get you RCing once again.

You may want to reconsider the aluminum arms if you do anything beyond crawling. For the most part, stock is actually more durable than the aluminum. The stock ones give and bounce back to original form... aluminum just bends and can only be bent back so many times before it snaps.
    If you do decide to go with aftermarket arms, be sure to get ones made for the Summit and not the Revo... as there is a difference!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    My suggestion would be to take it out and play!

As has been said, the Summit is great out of the box. Before changing anything, enjoy it first. I don't know how old your son is, but with the ESC in training mode and a pretty open place to run, I've let my 5 year old granddaughter rumble it around in low range

Welcome to the forum!!
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Competitor
    ya that is why they went with the summit my wife did some homework & heard it was great out of the box but me been an old school tuner I will be tweaking it a little just to tinker, for fun. My ESC is identical to the 1 pictured above minus the low voltage detection, but my model is the newer model came with the new red & black body. Is it posibble to have low voltage detection without it been stated or is this something I should be getting before adding lipos? Like I said I now alot but am new to electric all I know is what I have heard in the past from friends. Any help is welcome. thanx for the replies & input.

I have the model 3019 ESC & a quick search tells me it does not have LVC so I will be looking into that before running lipos.
    Last edited by Rum Guy; 12-30-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Don't take it out unless your going to use it.

RC Qualifier
    LVAs are another option. They plug into the balance taps and beep when your batteries discharge to the set voltage. 3-$5 off eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If it does not stat "Low Voltage Detection", it does not have it. But, as Happy stated; a couple of $5 LVA's (Low Voltage Alarms) and some 2S extensions will take care of the issue and allow you to run LiPo safely.

If you want, I can post up a write-up I did a while back on LiPo info...
    All you have to do is ask!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    just thought I would toss up a pic of my summit & my stampede which I just bought today, more for my son to enjoy with me.
    Don't take it out unless your going to use it.

RC Qualifier
    It needs no parts, out of the box, but it can be tuned for what you're doing. You can tune it more for rock crawling or more for speeding around, etc...
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless