Thread: soder qr1 motor

RC poster

soder qr1 motor

Does it matter what kind of soder i use to connect the new motor to the board. If so why is it so important.

but anyways also scored on 2 new batteries off of ebay and there is also shells on there to..mth hobby, received them in 2 days..xmas being one of them.

RC Racer
    The alloy of the solder (60/40 or 70/30) really doesn't matter, it determines the temperature the solder will melt at. What you have to be careful about is the flux. Many solders have a flux core and there are different fluxes for electronics and plumbing. If you were to use a non-electrical type of flux the circuit board would probably start corroding.
    I am not young enough to know everything!

RC poster
    I would recommend splicing the wires as opposed to soldering on the tiny board. I've replaced several motors on my QR-1's successfully this way. You can use a little liquid electric tape to insulate the splices, or a tiny piece of heat shrink would work as well.

RC Competitor
    Where have you found your spare motors. I was flying today and just a small hit into a wall made the black end of my RR motor come off and trying to get it back on messed up the spring contacts.

RC Competitor
    Just called Traxxas and they wanted to charge me for replacing a motor that came apart. Yes it was a crash, but it was only about 5 ft onto carpet. Give me a break, a motor should not come apart that easy in a crash in such a light vehicle.

They are sending me a motor for free if I do the replacement myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Killer View Post
    I would recommend splicing the wires as opposed to soldering on the tiny board. I've replaced several motors on my QR-1's successfully this way. You can use a little liquid electric tape to insulate the splices, or a tiny piece of heat shrink would work as well.
    That's an excellent idea, create what is called pigtails!!! Do not desolder the original wire but cut the wire with a little room from the board and then solder the wire already from the board to the wire of the motor and add your heat shrink tubing to insulate it... This way you just desolder the wire and your not having to revisit the connection point on the board.... I would not splice or use any connectors cause that's going to add weight.... I would imigine with these small things the slightest change in weight or balance could probably affect them... A little bit of wire though,,, shouldn't really.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    The wires are tiny and thin but, they are not that difficult to solder. You will need to put your work under a magnifying glass, have a sharp point soldering iron, a small dot of flux from a tooth pick and it should almost flash solder.

RC poster
    I have replaced two motors with liquid electrical tape with no problem at all. what happens is when you crash there is a gap between the blade and the motor so when you crash it pushies the motor threw the bottem.. here is a way to prevent it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds1oulQf2D8

RC Competitor
    Traxxas is now including a black plastic spacer with the new motors.

Hope this takes care of the motor design issue.

Same part number as the orig part number of the same type motor.

RC Competitor
    Where did you get the report that a black plastic spacer with the new motors?

I sent them e-mails about this that they should do it, but have not had word that they are going to do it...

RC Competitor
    I never got a report, but I did get one in the mail yesterday with my new motor that they sent me.
    I sent them an email asking for my other 3 spacers.

Including this spacer is a clear indication that the motor has a design issue so I am hoping to get an additional 3 to correct the other motors.

I think everyone with a QR-1 should contact Traxxas and ask to have 4 spacers sent to them free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by holdnickso View Post
    I never got a report, but I did get one in the mail yesterday with my new motor that they sent me.
    I sent them an email asking for my other 3 spacers.

Including this spacer is a clear indication that the motor has a design issue so I am hoping to get an additional 3 to correct the other motors.

I think everyone with a QR-1 should contact Traxxas and ask to have 4 spacers sent to them free of charge.
    If you think you need them, why not show some can-do attitude and craft them yourself?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I think holdnickso has a valid point. The original version has an engineering design flaw. That in normal use (and crashing is normal use) a small impact to the top of the motor can cause the pin to break the motor. (I had many harder crashes then the one that caused my motor to break).

So like any product that has a design flaw the manufacture should supply a fix at low cost to the owners. Plus Traxxas charges 6X more for the replacement motor then some of the third parties. So they should supply more then on motor spacer with a replacement motor.

Convo I read in another forum about a new heli:
    Member1: I hope the new version is as crashworthy as the outgoing model was.
    Member2: Why? Did you buy it to fly it or to crash it?

My suggestion was not suggesting that Traxxas should not do something about any problem that might exist. It was pointing out that for very little cost and even less effort you can effect the same result as waiting for anybody to ship something to you. The wait is my biggest problem.
    My trucks are full of little mods that could have come from the factory but that I am happy to have done all by my lonesome.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Got an email today from Traxxas and they are sending me 3 more spacers.

Now that's the support I am used to !!

RC Competitor
    I agree in making mods and do it all the time, but these motors falling apart this easy is crazy.
    I have tons of tools and equipment, but making 4 parts to fit these small motors and being this is a micro aircraft means any tiny weight can impact performance.
    Since they already had a design and shipping I knew it should not be a long wait.

Also a matter of principal, my quad was less than 2 weeks old.
    Looks like Traxxas is supporting it.

RC Competitor
    FYI in case this helps anyone.
    When I replaced my motor I cut the wires about 1 - 11/2" from the new motor and cut the existing board side wires a little to overlap.
    Stuck on some 1/8" heat shrink tubing, made some quick solder connections, shrunk the tubing and stuffed the extra wire into into the little pocket between the motor mount and arm.

No change to flight or trimming needed.