RC poster

Need help with Lipo & Charger please!

Hello, I'm a newbie to the RC world and just purchased my first RC truck. It's a Stampede 4x4 VXL (6708L) - (Velineon VXL-3s ESC / Velineon 3500 Brushless Motor). It comes with a 7.4V 4000mAh LiPo battery & the 2-Cell / 3-Cell LiPo Balance charger.

I'd like to purchase an extra battery and a faster charger, but I can't decide what I should buy.

If someone can please recommend a battery and a charger it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The first thing you need to decide is what your budget is. Most around here (including me) will suggest buying the best charger you can afford. A charger is a large part of the foundation of the RC hobby. Get a cheap one and your experience wont be as good as if you get a quality unit. I often recommend the Thunderpower TP610C AC/DC. I use one as my travel charger and its been excellent for me. Lots of power, nice compact unit, lots of features and its balancing software is excellent.

As for batteries, check out SPCracing.com They are the absolute best mix of quality/performance/price you can get anywhere. Everyone I know uses them and loves them.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Pave pretty much hit the high points. SPC is where I get my batteries.
    I recommend staying with a 2S lipo at least for now. 3S is just a little much for a stock Stampede.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into the Thunderpower chargers. Do you have a Web site you would recommend that sells them?

As mentioned I'm new to the RC world, so I'm trying to quickly learn how things work. Can you also suggest a specific battery that will give me a longer run time and more power compared to the one that was included?

Thanks

RC poster
    I love my traxxas ez peak plus 6 charger, like others said buy a decent one the first time, my 1st was a cheap one from the LHS and I regretted it shortly after. For longer run time a higher mah like 5000 or higher will fix you up.

RC Qualifier
    The ac680 has the same specs as the thunder power and is half the cost. I prefer gens ace or sky lipo, but you have to solder your own connectors where as Spc has traxxas connectors available.

RC poster
    Just this past week I upgraded my charger to the Onyx 245. I must say, best upgrade I have made yet! Charges both of my 2S lipo's simultaneously in ~50 minutes! Little pricey at around $115 but worth it IMHO.

RC Competitor
    I have the Onyx 245 also and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdl2mtl90 View Post
    Just this past week I upgraded my charger to the Onyx 245. I must say, best upgrade I have made yet! Charges both of my 2S lipo's simultaneously in ~50 minutes! Little pricey at around $115 but worth it IMHO.

RC poster
    Thanks No One

I looked at the SPC batteries, but there's several of them to choose from.

Is it better to go with a battery that's in a "Hard Case"? Also, what's the difference between a 50C or 55C battery?

Example: 6500mAh, 50C 2S, 7.4V - ($39.95) / 6500mAh, 55C 2S, 7.4V - ($49.95)

Here are the others I was looking at -

5400mAh, 50C 2S, 7.4V - ($49.95)
    8200mAh, 50C 2S2P, 7.4V - ($45.95)

Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Pave pretty much hit the high points. SPC is where I get my batteries.
    I recommend staying with a 2S lipo at least for now. 3S is just a little much for a stock Stampede.

RC poster
    Thanks Dude

It looks like I'll need to also buy the "Dual Charging Adapter", if I want to charge two batteries at the same time. If I just charge the one battery, do I need to buy any adapters, or can I just plug the battery directly into the charger?

So far the cheapest price I've found is about $100

What's the highest mAhs I should go with? Is there way to determine or calculate how much more run time you have, as you incease the mAhs on the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by 3 MEN AND A BOAT View Post
    I love my traxxas ez peak plus 6 charger, like others said buy a decent one the first time, my 1st was a cheap one from the LHS and I regretted it shortly after. For longer run time a higher mah like 5000 or higher will fix you up.

RC poster
    There's only about a $20 difference between the 235 and 245, which is not a big deal.

What I'm trying to determine is the differences between the two chargers. The 235 is listed as an 8A charger, with a battery capacity range of - 50-9900mAh, where as the 245 (I think) is a 5A charger with a battery capacity range of - 100-7500mAh. However, it can charge two batteries at the same time since it has two outputs.

I guess my questions are -

Does it matter that the 245 only goes up to 7500mAh? Will it not be able to charge a battery with a higher mAh rating - 9000, 11000, etc.?

Can the 235 charge two batteries with an optional dual adapter?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The first thing you need to decide is what your budget is. Most around here (including me) will suggest buying the best charger you can afford. A charger is a large part of the foundation of the RC hobby. Get a cheap one and your experience wont be as good as if you get a quality unit. I often recommend the Thunderpower TP610C AC/DC. I use one as my travel charger and its been excellent for me. Lots of power, nice compact unit, lots of features and its balancing software is excellent.

As for batteries, check out SPCracing.com They are the absolute best mix of quality/performance/price you can get anywhere. Everyone I know uses them and loves them.
    Listen to pave, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    The ac680 has the same specs as the thunder power and is half the cost. I prefer gens ace or sky lipo, but you have to solder your own connectors where as Spc has traxxas connectors available.
    Be careful with the chargers from this company. Many, maybe most of these chargers are just fine for a while, but, they have been known to turn into battery cookers. Mine was fine for years, then the balance circuit went haywire and started overcharging cell 1 on all my packs. I lost 130$ worth of packs because of it. It could have easily caused a fire. I was warned before hand, but because I was hard headed, I did not heed the warning. I know better now.

I have heard many good things about this unit recently. Nothing bad to say about it. The charger I have is:
    http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...0720iNET3-ADEU
    This is the last charger I will own, and its only 15$ more directly from Hyperion. This charger was recommended to me by Tom from spc for a field charger and the one he uses at the track(score!). On ac it will charge 2 5000 mah packs as quick if not faster than the 245. On dc power, it will charge 3 5000 2s packs faster than the 245 will charge 2, with the right balance boards. It gives internal battery resistance readings and every aspect of the charge can be graphed on your computer through the hyperion software and usb port. You can trust the accuracy of the hyperion line. I can not trust the balance accuracy of the "Thunder" brand chargers and its cheap china knock offs(not thunderpower)from personal experience, and some of the other battery cooking threads I have seen.

Hyperion has lower amp chargers for less money.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-08-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???