RC Qualifier

Help on first mods for stampede 4x4 vxl...

All I could say is that I'm so happy with my Stampede 4x4 vxl. Great bashing truck. Definitely a stress reliever after work! I want to thank everyone in the forum who helped during my search.

Anyways, here's the list I came up with for upcoming "light" mods:
    -->Traxxas EZ Peak Plus charger
    -->Aluminium shock caps
    -->Aluminium bearing adapters (traxxas part 6893x)
    -->Aluminium motor mount with bearing (Kingsheadz)

What else do I need to do? I'm not really planning to upgrade the esc and motor since the truck is still new. Same thing applies to MIP back axles. It's too early for that. I want the old ones to be worn out first.

RC Champion
    I think you should just run it until some parts break then upgrade as you go. I would recommend some RPM a-arms because they will last a long time on a bashing truck. Its good to here you like your pede so have fun!
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    I think you should just run it until some parts break then upgrade as you go. I would recommend some RPM a-arms because they will last a long time on a bashing truck. Its good to here you like your pede so have fun!
    I actually want to stock some parts like the alu shock caps and alu bearing adapters since I really hate that feeling when something breaks and you need to wait a while for a particular part to arrive in the mail. I'll also get the RPM a-arms you mentioned stocked . Thanks for recommending that!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Wait for a dull moment for this one but, tires...... this is a major truck changer! This will refresh your overall view of the truck in looks and more important, the ability. You will get some unreal traction from tires like badlands, trenchers, masher 2000s ..... I say wait for it because of its wow factor. Just an opinion by the way.... You will gain performance in a way that feels like a whole new truck but don't forget, bigger tires and more traction also deliver more heat and wear on the moving parts of the drive train. If I get bored with a truck/car I own, I put a new lid and tires/wheels package on it. This will revive your love for the truck bigtime! Its also like a new attitude, I notice I'll drive it like it looks..... a vicious paint job and tires will get me pounding on a truck, a super fast street set up ends up being driven to the limits of its speed and cornering. A really nice MT look always ends up trying to be a plain around my neighborhood, lots of frequent flyer miles on that set up lol.
    A lid is very important too... its the skull of your truck, protecting all the important content. The closer to the corners it gets, the better it will protect your suspension and electronics. Many aftermarket bodies are out there that are 2-3 times as thick. Proline, Jconcepts, hpi, parma, some ar. 02mm thick, some. 04 and some are. 06mm thick. Your stock body is a .02mm body for reference.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Wait for a dull moment for this one but, tires...... this is a major truck changer! This will refresh your overall view of the truck in looks and more important, the ability. You will get some unreal traction from tires like badlands, trenchers, masher 2000s ..... I say wait for it because of its wow factor. Just an opinion by the way.... You will gain performance in a way that feels like a whole new truck but don't forget, bigger tires and more traction also deliver more heat and wear on the moving parts of the drive train. If I get bored with a truck/car I own, I put a new lid and tires/wheels package on it. This will revive your love for the truck bigtime! Its also like a new attitude, I notice I'll drive it like it looks..... a vicious paint job and tires will get me pounding on a truck, a super fast street set up ends up being driven to the limits of its speed and cornering. A really nice MT look always ends up trying to be a plain around my neighborhood, lots of frequent flyer miles on that set up lol.
    A lid is very important too... its the skull of your truck, protecting all the important content. The closer to the corners it gets, the better it will protect your suspension and electronics. Many aftermarket bodies are out there that are 2-3 times as thick. Proline, Jconcepts, hpi, parma, some ar. 02mm thick, some. 04 and some are. 06mm thick. Your stock body is a .02mm body for reference.
    I also want to stock up on wheels! I was just looking at them last night and can't really decide on which one to get. There's just too many types out there. What's a good one for bashing? At least better than the stock ones? I also feel ya about with new wheels and a new lid. It's basically like getting new shoes with matching clothes. Got to dress right for the occasion right? I'll get wheels as soon as I see the new ones get worn out. Never thought of a lid yet, but that's something to consider since I really like to do A LOT of bashing.

Btw, what brand are the gold shock shafts you mentioned earlier in the other thread?

They are traxxas brand shafts, (trx1664t up front) and (trx2656t in rear). Mashers are my all around favorites for bashing mixed terrain but badlands are by far the best dirt slinging set I've ever had! They wear out a bit quick when going from off to on road so for that reason I keep the mashers around. Other good all terrain are trenchers but have considerable amount of mass. It adds to toll on axles, shafts, motor and so on. Im sure others will share the tire and traction experience with you.
    Here's a few body and tire/wheel examples for ya to check out.

I build mine for bashing too! I find the most durable combo of parts to keep the action going. I don't have a p4de anymore but its a really cool truck. I prefer the larger sl4sh monger trucks these days.

My input is drawn from person experience but it all will very according to your own habits and driving style so what works for me, may last minutes for you.
    Welcome to the hobbie! Look forward to seeing pix and vids as your truck evolves.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 12-29-2012 at 05:29 PM.

RC poster
    I second the RPM A-arms, I broke one of my front arms the 3rd day I had it!

RC Qualifier
    They are traxxas brand shafts, (trx1664t up front) and (trx2656t in rear).
    I actually was looking at the Masher 2000s. Read about them and your right. They are a good all around tire. I'll go for the Masher's first then badlands next when the Mashers get worn out.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I will definitely post pics of the pede as I upgrade it slowly.

Cool pics too btw! You really have a nice collection of trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by pdl2mtl90 View Post
    I second the RPM A-arms, I broke one of my front arms the 3rd day I had it!
    The local hobby store ran out of the front RPM A-arms so I'll be getting them next week. Price is VERY reasonable as well!

Most of the pix are different bodies and wheels on the same chassis. I had one p4de, have I giant sl4sh xl mt, a TeamRCE sl4sh for racing (well now its a rally lol), 2 sl2sh mt, 1 p2de in pieces, losi micro rally, losi micro highroller.

RC Champion
    If you plan on doing some hard bashing, I would recommend a set of losi ten scte shocks. They have a bigger bore than the traxxas shocks and they are really smooth. I have them on my p4de and dreadedend could also testify that they are a good choice. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Ten-SCT...item5aeca47b80
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Most of the pix are different bodies and wheels on the same chassis. I had one p4de, have I giant sl4sh xl mt, a TeamRCE sl4sh for racing (well now its a rally lol), 2 sl2sh mt, 1 p2de in pieces, losi micro rally, losi micro highroller.
    Cool!

The more the better!

If you plan on doing some hard bashing, I would recommend a set of losi ten scte shocks. They have a bigger bore than the traxxas shocks and they are really smooth. I have them on my p4de and dreadedend could also testify that they are a good choice. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Ten-SCT...item5aeca47b80
    The link that you gave me are the rear set. I might get them since the price is not bad. Can the Losi ten scte front shocks fit on the stampede as well?

Will the Losi ten t rear shocks fit on the stampede as well?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-30-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: post merge

Yup, you get yourself a set of front and rear losi ten-t and replace your f/r with um. I tell ya what, you'll have some Killa suspension with those! that's what I run. They are a huge diameter shock body, takes light weight oil with a super plush ride! They can take the heavy, heavy bashing, much more than the stock or big bores will. Those are the shocks on my truck getting the big air too. You need to get them for around $60 tops to call it a good deal. You can build them in custom colors for $70. Red, silver, gun metal gray so don't pay anymore than that.

I am gutted my wife got me big bores i hope i can make them as good as poss if any of you have ideas pls tell me.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    They are traxxas brand shafts, (trx1664t up front) and (trx2656t in rear). Mashers are my all around favorites for bashing mixed terrain but badlands are by far the best dirt slinging set I've ever had! They wear out a bit quick when going from off to on road so for that reason I keep the mashers around. Other good all terrain are trenchers but have considerable amount of mass. It adds to toll on axles, shafts, motor and so on. Im sure others will share the tire and traction experience with you.
    Here's a few body and tire/wheel examples for ya to check out.

I build mine for bashing too! I find the most durable combo of parts to keep the action going. I don't have a p4de anymore but its a really cool truck. I prefer the larger sl4sh monger trucks these days.

My input is drawn from person experience but it all will very according to your own habits and driving style so what works for me, may last minutes for you.
    Welcome to the hobbie! Look forward to seeing pix and vids as your truck evolves.
    what model of bug body is that?
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Racer
    Also if your going to run lipo batteries in the future you'll need mip axels. Kinda pricey at 60-75 a pair but well well worth.

Andrew

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAD View Post
    Also if your going to run lipo batteries in the future you'll need mip axels. Kinda pricey at 60-75 a pair but well well worth.

Andrew
    That I'm saving up for. Definitely a must for the rears.

Quote Originally Posted by OnebadTMAXX3.3 View Post
    what model of bug body is that?
    Proline 1/10 rock crawler body.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, you get yourself a set of front and rear losi ten-t and replace your f/r with um. I tell ya what, you'll have some Killa suspension with those! that's what I run. They are a huge diameter shock body, takes light weight oil with a super plush ride! They can take the heavy, heavy bashing, much more than the stock or big bores will. Those are the shocks on my truck getting the big air too. You need to get them for around $60 tops to call it a good deal. You can build them in custom colors for $70. Red, silver, gun metal gray so don't pay anymore than that.
    Another question: Will the rear losi ten-t shocks be a direct bolt-on on the stampede? Or do I have to do any mods to make those bad boys fit?

The losi's are almost exact same length as stock. Direct fit but you do need mounting hardware for the oversized eyelets on the shock caps. $8 for the rebuild kit that has the parts you need in it.

RC Qualifier
    The losi's are almost exact same length as stock. Direct fit but you do need mounting hardware for the oversized eyelets on the shock caps. $8 for the rebuild kit that has the parts you need in it.
    Are these the hardware your talking about:
    http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...re-cln-/Detail

RC Qualifier
    Did some bashing in a park near my home. My wife took the pics. Very supportive with my new hobby! *****, I love the stampede!

What I would do is contact the seller from ebay that you perchance the shocks from, simply -state respectfully rather than ask politly- that you. "Will need" the mounting hardware for the shocks. They are always willing to through it in rather than take a chance of having to re-list on ebay.
    That will save a $10 bill.
    The part you linked is not it. I was just browsing around, I'll find it for ya but if you follow my directions above, he/she will through it in with the sale!

What I would do is contact the seller from ebay that you perchance the shocks from, simply -state respectfully rather than ask politly- that you. "Will need" the mounting hardware for the shocks. They are always willing to through it in rather than take a chance of having to re-list on ebay.
    The part you linked is not it. I was just browsing around, I'll find it for ya but if you follow my directions above, he/she will through it in with the sale!

RC Qualifier
    Please do let me know once you found a pair of the rear ten t shocks.

Thanks man!