Thread: LiPo Storage

RC Competitor

LiPo Storage

So, maybe this a noobie question, but I have read that you should "store" your LiPo batteries at approx. 60% of max capacity. And storage is anything more than 2 days. What's everybody's thoughts? Is there an easy way to discharge the battery without running the truck. My issue is that I will not have time to run my Pede until the weekend and i have (3) batteries I would need to discharge.

If your charger has a storage function, set it to about 3.8 or 3.85 volts per cell and use that. If it only has a discharge function, you'll have to monitor the voltage or capacity discharged.
    FWIW, leaving LiPo packs fully charged for extended periods causes permanent loss of capacity and increased internal resistance, leading to shortened run time and decreased punch.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-02-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I don't think mine has any type of discharge function. It's an Onyx 245. I will look into it. Any better suggestion for charger?

Hyperion, ThunderPower (NOT "Thunder"), iCharger, and FMA Direct among others (and let's not forget Traxxas) are all good brands. All chargers I'd currently recommend are balancing chargers. If you want an all-in-one, the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus 6-amp, the Thunder Power TP610C-ACDC, and the the Hyperion Hyperion EOS 0720i NET3 7S 16N CHARGER AC/DC come to mind. These are 80W - 90W chargers on AC. DC-powered chargers can have much higher wattage limits. The Hyperion above has a wattage ceiling of 90W on its internal AC power supply, but 150W using an external DC power supply.

My own preferences:
    Cell count (LiPo/LiIo/LiFe) of 1-6 cells in series, more is better.
    Charge power capacity of at least 120W, more is better.
    Discharge power capacity of at least 20W, preferably 50W or greater.
    Battery setup memory of 10 is good, more is better.
    DC-powered charger used in conjunction with a converted server power supply.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.cline View Post
    I don't think mine has any type of discharge function. It's an Onyx 245. I will look into it. Any better suggestion for charger?
    you will just have to keep an eye on your charger, wait till its charged to 3.8v per cell and then manually stop the charge cycle.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
    you will just have to keep an eye on your charger, wait till its charged to 3.8v per cell and then manually stop the charge cycle.
    But you should charge it at a low amperage to ensure accuracy. Just like the voltage drops when current is drained, voltage increases when a charge current is applied.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    I store my batterys at 4 volts per cell for extended periods of time at room temperature. When i wanna go rc'in I charge em to 4.20 volts per cell. All my packs are 3000mah packs, and this usually means i stuff 1000mah back into them for storage. Sometimes when someone who is new to rc wants to run one of my trucks, i just toss in a pack at storage voltage so they dont break anything, heh. I've been doin it for a year now and so far so good.

RC Competitor
    I run Gens ace lipo's and it says right on the pack to store at 3.8v per cell. Maybe check your battery manufacture's instructions for storage voltage as every pack could be different.

RC Racer
    Not to run with this post, but what would a prolonged storage period be, a month or more?

Andrew

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    But you should charge it at a low amperage to ensure accuracy. Just like the voltage drops when current is drained, voltage increases when a charge current is applied.
    How much do u recommend? 1 amp or 2