RC poster

Unhappy Brand New Not Working 3.3

So I just bought a t-maxx 3.3 last night came home charged up the ez start batteries and they won't start it. It just sits there and turns over a few times and then the ez start motor on the car starts to smoke so I let off of it. Is something bad on it already or am I doing something wrong? lol I'm new to these cars and not really mechancally inclined. I just want to drive it and have it broke in before my boyfriend gets off work but I don't know if that's going to happen now or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

RC Champion
    I hope you watched the DVD that comes with the truck as it really helps in breaking in and tuning of the 3.3 engine.. they are not difficult to start for the first time as long as you follow the dvd. It will help greatly to heat up the motor with a hair dryer for a few minutes to make it easier to start for the first time. Smoke from the ez start isn't good, but if you stopped soon enough it might still be ok.. I know this is a silly question but you did put fuel in it.. You didn't mention that and I'm just going to ask.. But before anything else... Watch the DVD..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC poster
    Yes their is fuel in it. lol I also heated it up with the blow dryer and that's when I actually thought it was going to start but it didn't and I read the manual like 5x and have it open sitting next to me now.

RC Champion
    a couple of things to try.. make sure the glow plug is working... when you attach the starter wand, do both green led's come on.. if not the plug is bad.. do you have a spare plug.. you may want to try that.. how fast is it turning over? even new it should turn over fairly quickly.. 2 to 4 revs per second.. any slower an it won't start. Is it getting fuel? hold your finger over the exhaust until you see fuel entering the carb.. you don't want to put too much fuel in it or it will flood and not start either. You need 3 things for these engines to work.. fuel air and fire.. any one of these not working and the motor won't start.. let me know...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC poster
    The glow plug light was coming on but it's not now. We just changed it out last night cause it went out then too. I called the people who we bought it from and they said the ez start sounds burned up. If it is those things suck since we haven't even had this car for 24 hrs. It turns over pretty quickly when it does but sometimes it doesn't even turn over it just goes like bur- then doesn't do anything at all and goes into that safe mode I'm guessing because both lights go out.

The issue is that the pinch on the engine is very tight when new. Three things you can do: squirt a little WD-40 down the glow plug hole and turn the engine over with the plug out. Cover the top of the engine with a paper towel so that it will not fly all over. Heat the engine up with a hair dryer and you may want to keep the glow plug loose just a little bit to aid with the compression and once it starts tighten it up.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    So we took the glow plug out and took 2 wires and connected them from the battery to the ez start motor and it turned over great but then it got weak and the battery died. So I guess we know that it's the remote that's not working? And we know why everyone says to cover the hole with a paper towel that fuel burns like the dickens.

RC Racer
    i had a problome like this take the easy start off to see if thi bearing is out of line i did this and tore up my gear have you fed gas to the motor have you tested the ez start motor to see if it is like it should be to determine if it is the wand get a car batery and hook wires up to the batery only because if you get it to start with the wires connected to the truck you have to get them off before you can see if it is running right make sure you put the wires on the truck on right way

RC poster
    Problem solved we took the ez start off and put on a pull start. Runs good now. Only thing is is it supposed to spit fuel out of the exhaust? Sometimes it just puts a little out others theres a whole bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ashstmaxx View Post
    Problem solved we took the ez start off and put on a pull start. Runs good now. Only thing is is it supposed to spit fuel out of the exhaust? Sometimes it just puts a little out others theres a whole bunch.
    You should see a slight amount of unburnt oil..

Try following this tuning helper, make sure you tune that LSN needle with the pinch test and do not tune with more than 1/2 a tank of fuel...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous