RC Racer

Just a few details b4 I upgrade esc/ motor

I have been researching awhile, and I will soon be upgrading my slash 4x4 to the Combo SHORT COURSE Tenshock SC401 + Hobbywing waterproof SC8 120A 2-4S 3500kv:

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...+SHIPPING.html

I run Fantom 2S 5000mah 50C batteries. Also meaty proline trencher 2.2/3" m2 tires. I mostly bash, but I don't want to be a puss on the track. Pavement running/speed runs are not a factor. I will mostly run 2S, but would like the option to go 3S (after dropping in a different pinion). I dont want to throw over $200 at a combo right now. A few questions:

Will my current batteries power this system?

If so, what is a torquey gearing that will give me decent top speeds on track without stressing about heat?

Am I on the right track with this combo and the 3500kv? I was considering the sidewinder castle sct system, but the quality wp esc on this one seems to edge it out. Any feedback and advise on the 3500kv appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrgold View Post
    I have been researching awhile, and I will soon be upgrading my slash 4x4 to the Combo SHORT COURSE Tenshock SC401 + Hobbywing waterproof SC8 120A 2-4S 3500kv:

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...+SHIPPING.html

I run Fantom 2S 5000mah 50C batteries. Also meaty proline trencher 2.2/3" m2 tires. I mostly bash, but I don't want to be a puss on the track. Pavement running/speed runs are not a factor. I will mostly run 2S, but would like the option to go 3S (after dropping in a different pinion). I dont want to throw over $200 at a combo right now. A few questions:

Will my current batteries power this system?

If so, what is a torquey gearing that will give me decent top speeds on track without stressing about heat?

Am I on the right track with this combo and the 3500kv? I was considering the sidewinder castle sct system, but the quality wp esc on this one seems to edge it out. Any feedback and advise on the 3500kv appreciated.

Thanks for any help!
    I love my sensored tenshock sc411 motors. I use both the 4000kv & the 4600kv and the make a serious grunt with 2s lipo batteries. I've only used 50c batteries with my setup so your batteries or lipos with a rating greater 40C should be fine.

You would need to use 3s lipo's to wake up the 3500kv motor for street or off road bashing but you can't race with 3s lipo. Since you are primarily using 2s lipos, I would get the 4600 kv motor and watch your temps. Tenshock also released a sc401 v2 that you might want to research and if you don't already have the programing box then I would recommend gettting it..They offer different kv's for the v2, 4350 & 4950kv

sc401 v2 w/ programming box
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYaStoleIT View Post
    I love my sensored tenshock sc411 motors. I use both the 4000kv & the 4600kv and the make a serious grunt with 2s lipo batteries. I've only used 50c batteries with my setup so your batteries or lipos with a rating greater 40C should be fine.

You would need to use 3s lipo's to wake up the 3500kv motor for street or off road bashing but you can't race with 3s lipo. Since you are primarily using 2s lipos, I would get the 4600 kv motor and watch your temps. Tenshock also released a sc401 v2 that you might want to research and if you don't already have the programing box then I would recommend gettting it..They offer different kv's for the v2, 4350 & 4950kv

sc401 v2 w/ programming box
    This is exactly the kind of advise I was looking for, thx! Have you had any temp issues running the 4600 and 2S?

RC Qualifier
    I haven't had any temp issues with my 4600kv but I've never bashed w/ it either only raced at an off road track.

If I bashed with the 4600, then I would under gear it and use the ESC programming box to gradually add timing until the motor starts to run hot or under gear & go up on the pinion..the sc401 v2 should run cooler according the specs on funshobby & other forums..I'm sure the 4950 kv is insane
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Racer
    Anybody have any thoughts between the 4400kv and 3800kv with this system based on my needs above?

RC Racer
    Please help! Im ready to buy, and I'm leaning towards the 3800kv for lower temps, and hopefully longer run times. I just don't want it to be a dog on 2s 50c. Any input?