RC poster

Rustler Modification

Dose anyone know if it is posibble to change the rear drive shafts on a Rusltler to fit 17mm rims? Thery are Tallon 3.8 " tires. If so what parts do I need to make this mod/?
    Last edited by vncr123; 12-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.

RC Champion
    In general if your looking for something like this you start with a list of things that can already handle it stock and then see which best matches up to your vehicle. There are also adapters that you can buy but I am not to familiar with those. I'm just replying since no one else has in 4 hours

Good luck though and keep us posted.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Racer
    The driveshafts will remain the same. All you need is some 17mm adaptors to go in place of your 12mm hexes. Google 17mm adaptors for traxxas rustler and I'm sure you'll find what u need.

RC poster
    Thanks A lot! I'm new here and appreciate your responce. I was very hesitant to join forums/ Not a big PC guy but this seems to work well. Thanks again

RC poster
    Thanks for the help/ greatly appreciated

RC Qualifier
    You don't need to swap your driveshafts at all. Traxxas makes a 17 mm conversion kit for like $20 or so dollars.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Racer
    The forum's are here to enjoy for all of us in the hobby. Its like having a bunch of friends who all share the same intrusts. Don't worry about sounding new or asking noon questions. We all have to start somewhere. Just do a quick search before you post and if you don't find what your looking for there's plenty of us here to help. The more you post the more comfortable you'll become with the whole "putting your ideas up for all to see". Evertully you'll be the one helping others out. Just remember rc cars are for fun and so are the forums.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forums- great advice is easy to find here. I've never mounted 17mm wheels but regarding the driveshafts I will say a little.

If you are running a brushless system (Traxxas VXL or other) eventually you'll twist your stock driveshafts. For the brushed Titan/XL-5 the stock shafts are prob fine. The easiest upgrade is to replace them with the traxxas driveshafts for the 4x4 Slash/Stampede. These are much beefier and will be strong enough for up to 3S LiPo batteries with a brushless motor. This would require buying 2 sets of 6852X at around $10 each.

You can also buy metal driveshafts. A good option is the set sold by MIP for about $30.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the hobby.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Champion
    You can look at the Traxxas adaptors or there are a couple of other brands out there as well.. they are pretty much the same thing. I did the conversion on my slash 2wd which is basically the same drivetrain as the Rustler. I still run the stock axles with a CC5700 4 pole and they are holding up fine.. If you want to run larger 1/8 scale wheels.. Please replace the plastic outdrive yokes with the steel ones.. you will snap the plastic ones... My rustler I kept the stock 12mm but upgraded to metal hexes and only run 3.8 Anaconda's...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3