RC Racer

T-Maxx 2.5 tranny problems

I was running my T-maxx the other day and was runnin fine till It seemed as if there was a clutch slipping a bit but then went back to normal. Then, All of a sudden, after running at full speed, I slowed down to turn around and when I throttled up, the engine reved but didnt move. I brought it in the shed, started it up again on the floor and same thing. It would move ahead very slowly but it was really reving. Did I fry my tranny or is there something I can set on it to solve this.

I have a spare tranny from a 3.3 and when I spin the spur gear the drive shafts turn but It wont on my 2.5. I bought a new replacement tranny and I spun the shaft of the spur gear and the drive shafts wont turn on this one either. I can hear the gears inside turning.

RC Racer
    my tmaxx 3.3 was doing the same thing. it will be your slipper clutch on your transmission. the shoes on it will be either damaged or gone check that first and then go from there. some of the guys on here may have other ideas but that's what I found with mine to be wrong

RC Enthusiast
    some of the older t maxx transmissions "the black case" will not turn the shafts until they get to a certain rpm this can be adjusted It works the same way as the 2nd gear in a 2 speed only you have to take the tranny apart to adjust it If you have the black case with reverse this may be your problem if you have the gray case then B3nno8 is right it could be your slipper or worse the gears inside the tranny hope this helps

RC Racer
    I have the black tranny. I bought a new replacement and I will try it.

RC Qualifier
    Check your clutch spring in the clutch bell while the trans is out.

RC Racer
    Upgrade the slipper clutch while you have the trans out. The kit is around $25 comes with new input shaft, clutch and pads. If you decide to upgrade to the 3.3 motor, you will be good to go.

Sent from Mars Curiosity.

RC Racer
    Well, I think I may have found the problem. As I was switching the parts from the old tranny to the new one, I took the spur gear off to find the slipper clutch had worn it down a bit. LOL I have a spare spur gear but now i have to get new slipper clutch pegs. I might also look into a clutch upgrade.