RC Racer

Bearings metal or rubber seal?

Hi

Just after a little advice, after blowing my first bearing, was the spur gear bearing, which also ended stripping the spur gear slightly.

I have ordered a traxxas replacement from Lhs.

I'm looking into getting some bearings from the Internet. I was wondering on which type you guys recommend

Rubber seals give you ability to re oil/ grease. Metal seals prob have a little more dirt resistance.

I'm not ready to venture to ceramic bearing yet? Expense an all that.

However, if I'm going to replace within metal bearings ? Which seal should I go for, I think I'm going the route of use to fail. Rather than maintain.

Any advice will be cool.

RC Qualifier
    Motor bearing-metal Most everything else I would do rubber seals. It is really easy to maintain bearings, just take them out, clean them and some lube and you're done. I would save up for ceramics, I know that I am right now.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Cheers guys,

I know ceramics are better, just weighing up the cost vs life differences etc going ceramic. Think they little way down list.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    just get the best that you can afford and give them regular maintance!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    just get the best that you can afford and give them regular maintance!
    More about whether they worth the extra expense than the price, ie price/life type arrangement in my head.

You mentioned you had issues with acer ceramic's it Mitch's ERBE rebuild thread what were your issues? As experience counts

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i has acer ceramics in my merv . i had a pinion bearing go bad in my front diff go bad taking out the ring and pinion then a week later a rear pinion bearing went bad doing the same! maybe it was a bad batch who knows sent them back and got a full refund then bought boca yellow seals
    i think if you keep the stock bearings clean you won't have problems .metal seal for on road and rubber for off road
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-28-2012 at 04:55 PM.

RC Racer
    Cool cheers for the info.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-man View Post
    Hi

Just after a little advice, after blowing my first bearing, was the spur gear bearing, which also ended stripping the spur gear slightly.

I have ordered a traxxas replacement from Lhs.

I'm looking into getting some bearings from the Internet. I was wondering on which type you guys recommend

Rubber seals give you ability to re oil/ grease. Metal seals prob have a little more dirt resistance.

I'm not ready to venture to ceramic bearing yet? Expense an all that.

However, if I'm going to replace within metal bearings ? Which seal should I go for, I think I'm going the route of use to fail. Rather than maintain.

Any advice will be cool.
    Actually rubber seals give better protection against dirt getting in as the rubber seals better, the metal bearings offer less resistance but with all the excess power on a ERBE I didn't see that as a problem. Traxxas bearings, no thanks...
    I am waiting for a set of the Boca green seals (rubber seal). If they do not last much longer than the cheaper bearing with rubber seals then it will be the cheap rubber sealed bearings from china as disposables for me. They cost 13 usd for 20 peaces and the shipping is free. I will post when I know the outcome.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett74 View Post
    Actually rubber seals give better protection against dirt getting in as the rubber seals better, the metal bearings offer less resistance but with all the excess power on a ERBE I didn't see that as a problem. Traxxas bearings, no thanks...
    I am waiting for a set of the Boca green seals (rubber seal). If they do not last much longer than the cheaper bearing with rubber seals then it will be the cheap rubber sealed bearings from china as disposables for me. They cost 13 usd for 20 peaces and the shipping is free. I will post when I know the outcome.
    Only got a replacement traxxas one as that's all the Lhs had. I've ordered a cheep set from Hong Kong (rubber sealed) $ 10 plus shipping to the uk. I will see how they last when they needed.

RC Champion
    I would definitely go Rubber. A little maintenance here and there goes a long way.
    I ordered up two of the Erevo ball bearing kits as I was hesitant to spend the cash on ceramic. Imagine my suprise when the picker goofed and I got two ceramic kits. I cant speak of longevity just yet as I havent had the opportunity to run them very much since I installed them but I will say that they are much smoother and offer far less resistance. I put a pair of them in my home made tire balancer for giggles (didnt leave them in) to see what they would do. With stock bearings I could give it a good spin and within 30 seconds the wheel stops. With the ceramic bearings it was still spinning 3 mintues later before it slowed down and I got tired of waiting for it to stop. Ill post up later in the summer when I can give them an endurance test to see if they are worth the extra $$ that I didnt pay.

RC Racer
    My luck I would end up with steel if ordered ceramic.

Rubber it is then!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When stock bearings go bad. My e maxx.

RC Qualifier
    can i ask something here, are the ceramic bearings also stronger than steel? more resistant on shocks or less?
    <3 Traxxas~Align~Ducati~Lib-tech~JacksonGtrs <3

RC Racer
    I would say on certain applications, spoke via email to castle about ceramic bearings in their motors, they said the turning and sideways force the motors exert on bearings would destroy ceramic bearings and do not recommend installation within the motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Depends who you talk to. Search ceramic bearings in a castle motor
    I have boca ceramics in my neu 1110 1/y and have never had a problem
    The main reason people don't recommend them is if you have a failure there is no warning and it is instant.meaning if a bearing goes bad you will damage the rotor and windings before you know it

But yes they are harder and smoother than steel
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-31-2012 at 10:27 AM.