Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207

    It looks like my transmission servo went out...

    So I installed my t-bone a arm skid plates, installed my lcd light bar, replaced my knuckle/carrier, and installed my t-bone front brush guard. I took it out for a off terrain run and noticed i couldn't switch from high gear to low gear. It just stayed in high gear. I took off the shell and when i tried to switch gears the servo acted like it wanted to but just couldn't. I checked to see if it was bound up somewhere but it didnt seem so. Do these servos just go kaput after a few runs? I have had my summit since the middle of december, and have ran it probably 4 times.

    I guess i need to replace it? Any good ideas on what i should replace it with so i dont run into this problem again?
    Last edited by his grace; 12-27-2012 at 08:27 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    47
    Mine also went out after a couple runs. But replaced it with another 2065 and it's lasted for a few months so.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Posts
    347
    My shift servo failed a week or so after my purchase. My LHS warrantied it and swapped it out while I hovered. If the shift rod is free (mine was) it's most likely the servo horn position on the shift servo.

    We mounted the new servo without the servo horn. We then turned everything on and manually put the transmission in low and made sure the transmitter was also switched to low. We then lined up and installed the servo horn with a little spring tension holding the tranny in low. We shifted to high and rocked the Summit to ensure the shift rod and mechanism was in high. Then back to low.

    While doing this we made sore that once the servo reached it's endpoint, it was not against a hard stop. A servo trying to get to a position that it cannot reach leads to heat and or buzzing, then eventual failure. The shift servo did not buzz, but was quite warm to the touch.

    When I got home, I checked out my difflock servos for similar issues. I also adjusted my steering servos as well.

    One additional tip, pay attention to all of your wire routing before you start. All of the servo leads are tucked and routed quite well. Paying attention will ensure you get them all back in place with no rubbing or interference

    I have almost a year with no additional problems out of any of my servos

    Hope this is helpful
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 12-27-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    The Kid

    14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by rcsickness1 View Post
    Mine also went out after a couple runs. But replaced it with another 2065 and it's lasted for a few months so.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    My shift servo failed a week or so after my purchase. My LHS warrantied it and swapped it out while I hovered. If the shift rod is free (mine was) it's most likely the servo horn position on the shift servo.
    We mounted the new servo without the servo horn. We then turned everything on and manually put the transmission in low and made sure the transmitter was also switched to low. We then lined up and installed the servo horn with a little spring tension holding the tranny in low. We shifted to high and rocked the Summit to ensure the shift rod and mechanism was in high.
    Doing this ensured that once the servo reached it's endpoint, it was not against a hard stop. A servo trying to get to a position that it cannot reach leads to heat and or buzzing, then eventual failure. The shift servo did not buzz, but was quite warm to the touch.
    When I got home, I checked out my difflock servos for similar issues. I also adjusted my steering servos as well.
    Hope this is helpful
    Excellent info!! Thank you guys. I will order one tonight and follow the steps mentioned above to calibrate and properly set the servo

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,076
    Order two,as there are three on the truck.and if you have a spare of something it rarely seems to break again.lol


    Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    I've had my summit for well over a year and haven't had a 2065 go out yet. It's hit or miss.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Order two,as there are three on the truck.and if you have a spare of something it rarely seems to break again.lol


    Sent using lipo power
    I have bid on six, just in case

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    76
    when i got my summit that servo was bad, i bought 2 china ones off ebay for 10$, they both lasted 20 minutes each lol. i said screw it and took the servo out completely and tied the lever in low gear. i dont need high gear when im fpv'ing in the woods lol.

  9. #9
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,460
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I've had my summit for well over a year and haven't had a 2065 go out yet. It's hit or miss.
    I guess I've had mine since the middle of July 2011 and I have yet to lose a micro servo. The steering servo was my fault. I should have adjusted them better but maybe I needed a reason to go single servo?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    419
    The micros do seem to be hit or miss. I've lost one out of my first summit and had no problems out of summit #2.

    Just be sure to keep an eye on those linkages and when shifting them always be sure to creep forward or backwards so they can engage.


    Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •