RC Enthusiast

Questions on bigger tires for 2wd slash vxl

I'd like to get these 3.8" trenchers for my 2wd slash vxl: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Line-Racin.../dp/B004022UQQ

Some questions for you guys...

- Can I put these on rear and use stock on front, or need I get two sets of same size?

- Will they rub the body, should I plan to trim the body with scissors?

- How do I know if these are compat with the stock hex nut size?

- Would you recommend instead getting tire and wheel separate to fit the slash better?

- With bigger tires should I change gearing?

RC Qualifier
    Not recommended. 40 Series are a bit too big for anything 1/10th 2wd. You want to look at 2.8s.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok
    Then I have the same questions for 2.8s: http://www.amazon.com/Proline-Trench.../dp/B005FB5FQI

RC Racer
    Concerning the use of 2.8's and bearing in mind I'm about to get a set myself....

- Can I put these on rear and use stock on front, or need I get two sets of same size?

I have chosen to go for REAR Traxxas Electric Stampede/Rustler wheels based on this thread over at URC: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92763

- Will they rub the body, should I plan to trim the body with scissors?

Yes they will but you can increase the height of the body mounts front and rear (or even buy new ones) so you can reduce or avoid trimming altogether. Differing shells also have differing clearance so try it first then see what works for you.

- How do I know if these are compat with the stock hex nut size?

The standard fitment is 12mm hex so look for wheels with "12mm hex"

- Would you recommend instead getting tire and wheel separate to fit the slash better?

Decision is driven by what style wheel tyre combo you want. I'll be going with a proline 2.8 wheel & tyre combo myself.

- With bigger tires should I change gearing?

Depends on what you have already but assuming stock then start lower and keep an eye on temps, if it's all good then move up. Thats what I'll be doing anyway.

I'll probably be going for one of these:
    Badlands 2.8" All Terrain Tires Mounted on Desperado Black Rear Wheels
    http://prolineracing.com/tires/badla...k-rear-wheels/
    Dirt Hawg 2.8" All Terrain Tires Mounted on Desperado Black Rear Wheels
    http://prolineracing.com/tires/dirt-...k-rear-wheels/

Of course there are also Traxxas offerings, just look at the rear wheels and tyres for the electric stampede.

I'm sure others will be along with other ideas and its well worth searching you tube for something like "slash 2.8" or "slash trenchers" as there are a few vids from people who have already done this sort of thing.

Hope that helps

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfromoregon View Post
    Ok
    Then I have the same questions for 2.8s: http://www.amazon.com/Proline-Trench.../dp/B005FB5FQI
    Nope I think those are for the nitro models and electric front, you want these: http://prolineracing.com/tires/trenc...k-rear-wheels/ I believe.

**EDIT**
    Incidently in their 2.2/3.0 SC form Trenchers are good all round tyres but master of no surface. For example 2.2/3.0 Badlands are purported to be better mud and grass tyres than Trenchers but won't last very long if your running on road. Of course this may not apply given how much bigger 2.8's are and again just my opinion based on my own research.
    Last edited by tachikoma1373; 10-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome, very helpful! Just ordered these: http://prolineracing.com/tires/trenc...k-rear-wheels/

Will try running them with stock fronts and see if the height difference is a problem. If it is, I'll get another set.

RC Racer
    Extra rubber at the rear will give more traction and increase the chances of wheelies, especially without the extra weight of 2.8's on the front. Hope your not up tight about paint work as you could be flipping onto your lid a lot :-)

RC Enthusiast
    Not in the least

RC Enthusiast
    You can do nearly anything you want. Remember, the slash and stampede share many parts, and the stampede has large tires. Just make sure you gear it so you don't burn up your motor.

RC poster
    Order the Pro-Line body mount kit,
    Part #6070-00 Extended Front & Rear Body Mounts (Slash 2WD)
    This will allow you to raise the body when your running larger tires.

RC poster
    Or slam it with factory size tires.

RC Racer
    I do like the look of that body fella and given my stock body is getting more and more hammered its on my shortlist. Any chance of the same photos but from the ront and rear?

EDIT - just seen your traxxas service thread with the other pics - NICE.

Sweet truck mb wired!

Go to the pede forum. BaldyDaniels has a few threads putting a number of different 2.8 tires on 3.2 rims. They work very well.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC poster
    I was just in the process of doing the same, looking for larger tires, wheels, etc. Since I just bash I went with the RPM Revolver 2.2 wheels and the Proline 2.2 Badlands. New to all this but pleased with the outcome. Had to shave down some parts on my Proline Widetrac kit to fit the rims, swapped out the hexes on the rear for the included ones with the rims, kept the stock hexes on the front. All 12mm hex though. Got the stance and height I wanted..+1 on the Proline body mount kit...Good Luck!!

RC poster
    is that a custom body? where did you find the body style if you did paint it?
    Last edited by MaTT12121; 12-30-2012 at 02:26 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    imo there good for look,but not much else,I have three trucks,16 rims and tires one set are 2.8 with street fighters[IMG][/IMG]Every time Ive use them,Its trouble,you cant keep the front end down,and list list could go forever,but I race,and on a slash,their not even allowed,Jut my opinion,but traxxas but a lot of time making the truck work well the way it is.Here's a pic of mine with 2.8s .They have already cost me more than they were ever worth
    They look cool,that's about it.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 12-30-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Here,s one with regular slash tires and rims,sorry[IMG][/IMG] about the different rims,I was out in she snow,and never took off the sling shots
    Last edited by billy-bones; 12-30-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.