Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Finally got my QR-1. So here is my initial review.

Shipping just took a ridiculous amount of time. Ive never had to wait so long for something like this. Conversely, the tires I ordered for my 1/10 rally arrived in less than 5 days. Strange stuff.

Unboxing the QR-1 was pleasantly surprising. Packaging felt a bit cheap and i was surprised that there is no clear window in the box cover so you can see the actual quad. Once opened I found the TX, the quad, the charger, a set of spare blades, a phillips screwdriver (I assume for inserting the AAA's into the TX) and 4AAAs for the TX. Literally everything you could need to run it. The only thing I can think of that might be missing is a cheap USB wall plug. Not everyone has their computer accessible and/or turned on all the time. Any USB wall adapter will work so this isnt a big issue.

Charging of the batteries took longer than expected but was very simply to do. No real info needed. Just plug it in and wait for the red light to go out. The good thing about it taking a little while the first time is that it gave me time to read the WHOLE manual. And I strongly suggest you read the WHOLE manual BEFORE flying. The reports of people crashing and wrecking their QR-1s on the first flight is not the least bit surprising to me after my first go at it and I think reading the manual helped me alot.

My first impression of the radio is that it feels kindof cheap. The sticks have some free play in them and the throttle stick seemed too loose to me. However, the shape of the transmitter is excellent. My big hands fell right on the sticks and it was comfortable the whole time I flew. The actual QR-1 itself felt very well built to me. Its heavier than i thought but ALOT smaller than even the pics and video id seen had me believe. It looks cool and after fondling it a bit I felt that it was well put together. On things for sure, their aint any extra space on board.

Once the packs were charged and the batteries were in the TX it was time to fly. Inserting the lipo into the actual quad was easy and the tiny little plug was surprisingly easy to use. I turned on the radio, plugged in the pack and the bind process was completed after only a few seconds. All lights solid and ready to fly.

I took the time to do the pre-flight checks the manual suggested. Get the blades spinning a bit and check all the directional functions. This was interesting and gave me a better understanding of how this bird flies. I then attempted to SLOWLY lift off from the ground. This didnt work. As soon as it gained even an inch of altitude it wanted to drift forward quite fast. I tried to trim this out but it didnt work. I thought maybe something was messed up but I remember the last time i had a helicopter (not a good experience) the only way to really get it to fly was to get it a few feet off the ground or the rotor wash effected stability. So, I gave the QR-1 a squirt of throttle and it jumped up into the air and hovered mostly stable. A few clicks of the trim buttons and it was hovering with no issues. This was all happening in my very cluttered basement but I figured if I kept it above the clutter everything would be find. I quickly found out, this thing is no walk in the park to fly. Even on beginner mode, or whatever its called, it takes ALOT of concentration to keep it under control. For someone like me, with very limited time on a 4ch twin stick radio, things did not come naturally.

So i took it outside into my back yard. There was NO wind and lots of space. This was much better. I got it up in the air and started testing functions and directional changes. The actual quad responds quite slow to easy inputs. Its very mellow. Which is good if your in control, but not good if your trying to stop it from crashing into a tree or the house. Mild inputs were the key. What I found most difficult was getting my brain and my thumbs to do the right things, specifically with the left rotational stick. Ive flown 3ch planes alot and can handle the right stick no problem. But add in the 2nd channel to the left stick and I get way confused.

I ran a whole pack through it with only a few panic crashes. I did find the seam in the plastic arms that hold the motors to come undone quite often. Its not a big deal, it just snaps back into place. But it would be better if this didnt happen. I crashed mostly onto the grass so no damage to the motors or anything like that. After each crash I inspected things and found no issues. In terms of durability, I was pleasantly surprised.

After the first pack I thought id try re-calibrating things. Just to see how that worked. I reset all trims to zero and did what the manual said. At first things werent working. I had the left stick in the bottom right corner and was pushing right stick left and right... nothing. So I tried it faster... that was the trick. You really need to flick the right stick back and forth quite fast to get it to calibrate. Once I figured that out it worked perfect.

Now, I need to make a comment about how the QR-1 flies in relation to durability. Ive read a number of reports of serious damage on the first outing. Some are disappointed and feel the QR-1 isnt durable enough. I disagree. I can absolutely see how a person with limited experience with any airborn RC would be crashing the crap out of this thing in no time and could easily wreck it with little effort. Its small, its light, its plastic, its fast and its capable of flying 30 feet in the air. If you fly it over a hard surface and your not taking things slow... like SNAILS pace slow, your going to wreck it. BUT... if you take TIME to learn to fly it, get used to the controls, develop the necessary reflexes to keep it in control and recover from mistakes, you sohouldnt be crashing it so hard and therefore you shouldnt be wrecking it. I put 2 packs through it and by the end I could fly it directly in front of me very well, I was JUST learning to spin it 360 degrees and was starting to turn corners... but thats it. I wouldnt even DREAM of going to advanced mode... its going to be A LONG time before I do that.

The QR-1 is not a "buy and fly well" toy. Just because its small doesnt mean its automatically a beginner vehicle. Your going to have to expect a longer learning curve than any land based RC and plan to not be an top gun pilot for a while. If you want to show off on day one, your probable going to crash and break something.

My overall rating of the QR-1 is a 4/5. I think little things like no wall charger and the cheap feeling radio are forgivable in light of performance and little extras like a DUAL lipo charger and spare set of blades. I think the skill level traxxas has attached to this (I think its a 2) is too low. 4 channels is alot to get used to if your used to driving only 2 channel land based vehicles. Overall im very happy with it. Time will tell if its holds up to more abuse. But its a vehicle I will be keeping and will continue to practice with.

I hope this helps manage the expectations of anyone thinking about buying a QR-1.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 12-17-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Thanks for the write up! Lil bit of info there that's helpful to me, things to consider while flipping the on switch. We tend to get a bit carried away with our rc's, don't we lol. Myself, I always get that "its gonna get beat feeling" almost every time I do something "iffy" ... maybe I'll remember to take it easy with this on, till the parts are ready anyways.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Enthusiast
    Great review. One thing I would point out though for anyone else just starting out. If you do the stabilization system reset prior to the first flight, you won't need any trim and it should pop straight up into hover. The fact that on your first flight it started to go forward when just a couple inches off the ground was a key sign that it needed a stabilization system reset.

As I recall, there is a loose leaf flyer in the box that recommends the reset before first flight.

RC Qualifier
    Do you think that you could use the end of an iPhone or iPod charger or any usb outlet charger to use to charge it? Or would that be too much voltage/amperage/watts... (whatever it is)

Quote Originally Posted by c.greer View Post
    Do you think that you could use the end of an iPhone or iPod charger or any usb outlet charger to use to charge it? Or would that be too much voltage/amperage/watts... (whatever it is)
    This would be an excellent question for the battery/charger forum.... You'll get a factual answer rather than our best guess.

I believe a charger for an Ipod or Iphone would work fine. They are 5 volts I think... most are. One for an Ipad i think might be too much as they are 6 volts I think. The charger would regulate the voltage anyway.

The leaflet in the box suggests doing a stabilization calibration if needed. Not before the first run. Even after the recalibration it still drifts when only an inch or so off the floor. Thats normal. Its not a stabilization problem. Its the wash from the rotors causing air currents under the vehicle.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

That is what I am doing now. I use an old USB phone adapter and plug the cable and charger that came with my QR-1 into it then plug it into a wall outlet. Works good for me and it does not tie up a USB port on my computer.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Does it charge the batteries any faster? (that you've noticed anyways)

No it takes rougly 45 minutes no matter what you plug the charger into.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Okay good so it isn't charging them too quickly or anything like that. Thanks!!

That's not to bad for a stock charger! Good to hear..... I don't even bother with making connectors for lil batteries like this for the big charger... all my micro's have the same plug and if this one is different, i'll simply use the stock charger.

RC Champion
    Nice write up Pave. I just got mine about 1hr ago. Put 2 packs in it and I agree man, WOW, this thing is tough to fly. I have crashed quite a few times and now I am waiting for the other 2 packs to charge and see if I can't get this hovering more stable. Mine has done the same as well, the arms popped out a couple times. I will get a video up tonight flying around in my basement, I'd go out side but it's soaking wet and I don't want to fry this thing.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

Great to hear stephan... im glad im not the only "non quad pro" here.

I was wrong in my response to D'reng, the pamphlet that comes in the box DOES say to recalibrate BEFORE flying the first time. I didnt do that so maybe I wouldnt have needed so much trim. However, even after re-calibrating the quad would move forward if i tried to hover only an inch off the ground. Re-calibrating did remove much of the needed trimming I had done first, but I still needed to fine tune with trim after the calibration.

Just didnt want to suggest someone was wrong when they werent. D'reng was correct.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I'm going on 10 packs now without a single issue. Haven't had to fix the motors or anything. I'm taking this VERY slow and have only put it in advanced mode once. I quickly learned why that's not a great idea. Over I'm still very impressed with it. Getting used to the transmitter too.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    I've used various USB charge adapters without a problem. Stock iPhone, stock iPad, etc.

RC Racer
    This is a sweet review now I want one its just that its so windy in Oklahoma.
    rustler vxl " Stealth from below"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by D'reng View Post
    I've used various USB charge adapters without a problem. Stock iPhone, stock iPad, etc.
    Any of them are worth a shot, but I know they aren't all created equal. My Google Nexus 7 won't charge properly with just any USB wall charger, so that could be the case with these. I also know that newer Apple products won't charge with just any outlet adapter either. It's due to the fact that not all devices have to draw as much power to charge, so their adapters don't provide as much power.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Qualifier
    Yeah and that's what I'm afraid of. I'm highly assuming the traxxas USB charger is built to sustain the correct power amount. But every laptop could output different amounts of power so I'm guessing that it wouldn't be an issue charging with a wall charger.

RC Qualifier
    Actually computer USB ports all put out the same power. USB 1 and USB 2 put out 5v and up to 500 ma. USB 3 puts out the same 5v and up to 900 ma. This is an industry standard for computer USB ports. The wall adapters don't have to follow that exactly though as they are made specifically for one device that may not need that much power. Most devices will only use what they need if they are plugged into a computer or adapter that provides more than they need, but if the computer or adapter doesn't supply what they need then it could lead to damage.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

Yeah and that's what I'm afraid of. I'm highly assuming the traxxas USB charger is built to sustain the correct power amount. But every laptop could output different amounts of power so I'm guessing that it wouldn't be an issue charging with a wall charger.
    When it comes to lipo, even these lil 1s, its just not safe to assume.... or take a chance. Nothing personal, just felt it should be said.

Quote Originally Posted by dsanders337 View Post
    Actually computer USB ports all put out the same power. USB 1 and USB 2 put out 5v and up to 500 ma. USB 3 puts out the same 5v and up to 900 ma. This is an industry standard for computer USB ports. The wall adapters don't have to follow that exactly though as they are made specifically for one device that may not need that much power. Most devices will only use what they need if they are plugged into a computer or adapter that provides more than they need, but if the computer or adapter doesn't supply what they need then it could lead to damage.
    Facts like this give me pause, till I understand the traxxas charger fully, I wouldn't feel comfortable using anything outside of pc based usb2.0 standards. Just my opinion.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, better safe than sorry I always say
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe I got a dud when I purchased my qr1 2 flights no crashes and a motor give up on each flight I am waiting on a motor from Traxxas I also have a $45 syma that I have ran probably 30 packs and no problems I fly it in my living room in expert mode backflips and all

Ive got a motor making some noise now... im not sure if its just a noise or if its on the way out... still flies fine but the noise isnt a good one im sure. I like this thing... I may just call traxxas and see if theyll send me a motor or two just to have. Im sure they wont last for ever.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rc nitro junkie View Post
    Maybe I got a dud when I purchased my qr1 2 flights no crashes and a motor give up on each flight I am waiting on a motor from Traxxas I also have a $45 syma that I have ran probably 30 packs and no problems I fly it in my living room in expert mode backflips and all
    That sucks man Atleast Traxxas has our backs. And I ordered the same as you got to, after seeing vids and reviews, just had to have it for the price

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Ive got a motor making some noise now... im not sure if its just a noise or if its on the way out... still flies fine but the noise isnt a good one im sure. I like this thing... I may just call traxxas and see if theyll send me a motor or two just to have. Im sure they wont last for ever.
    I'm sure they will send you one no problem. Mine was making a sound as well and the rotor blade kept flying off as well from the motor that was making the sound. Busting backflips and barrel rolls yet Pave?
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

Man im barely even able to spin it in a 360. My living room isnt really that big so theres not alot of room to recover if I get out of shape.

Im going to take this thing to my church basement... that should give me more space to try more stuff.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Pleased to continue reporting that the QR-1 is still flying great. 4 more packs through with no breakages so far. The left rear motor doesn't sound right but it doesn't seem to effect anything. It's only at a mid RPM level that it sounds bad. I've noticed no matter how many times I re-calibrate, it still tends to wander. Even trimming during flight doesn't solve it. After trimming and getting it stable it will again wander after I fly for a second. It's like the servo saver is sticking. Ha!
    One thing I have found I really like about this vehicle is that while its not really quiet, it's a lot quieter than any dual rotor micro heli I've had. My wife doesn't even complain. That's a big deal in my house.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Im with ya on the wife part Here is something you can try on the noisey motor check to make sure the rotor is perfectly straight when I replaced the first motor on mine it was also noisey and I noticed the rotor was kind of tweeked the slightest bit I straightened it and that fixed it must have been a balance thing hope this helps

Im with ya on the wife part Here is something you can try on the noisey motor check to make sure the rotor is perfectly straight when I replaced the first motor on mine it was also noisey and I noticed the rotor was kind of tweeked the slightest bit I straightened it and that fixed it must have been a balance thing hope this helps
    I have had the same experience, a bent up dinged up rotor blade could also be the cause of the wondering Pav was talking about.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I think I may have found the problem with my qr1 I found a hobby shop that had parts and bought 2 motors I noticed that these motors and the one I got from traxxas the wires are color coded oposite of mine could my motors be in the wrong position and running backwards can you tell me what color wires is where on yours thanks

RC Qualifier
    Ok I think I may have found the problem with my qr1 I found a hobby shop that had parts and bought 2 motors I noticed that these motors and the one I got from traxxas the wires are color coded oposite of mine could my motors be in the wrong position and running backwards can you tell me what color wires is where on yours thanks
    With the quad flipped upsidedown and the battery wires facing away from you it goes;
    left front and right rear are red and blue wires, right front and left rear are black and white...

RC Qualifier
    cool
    what's up guys

RC Enthusiast
    Mine is wired oposite of yours I believe mine was wired wrong from the start which would explain why the motors are going out after one run

RC Qualifier
    Mine is wired oposite of yours I believe mine was wired wrong from the start which would explain why the motors are going out after one run
    Yeah that is strange, I have 3 of them right here and they are all wired the same. I think Traxxas owes you a new bird...

RC Enthusiast
    Another question can you tell what color is soldered to the positive on the board thanks for the help

RC Qualifier
    Another question can you tell what color is soldered to the positive on the board thanks for the help
    Pink and white, I wouldn't risk soldering to the board. Cut the wires in the booms at different points to spread the connections apart and make the correct polarity changes there...

RC Enthusiast
    Ok now thats really weird when traxxas sent me the first counter clockwise motor I had to put the blue to the positive to get it to turn counter clockwise

RC Qualifier
    Ok now thats really weird when traxxas sent me the first counter clockwise motor I had to put the blue to the positive to get it to turn counter clockwise
    Which end of the motor are you looking at? From the prop end the red/blue motor turns clockwise...

RC Enthusiast
    if I am looking down at the props from the top with the qr1 right side up ready for flight the battery wire pointing towards you the props on the left front and the the right rear are turning counter clockwise and the props on the right front and the left rear are turning clockwise this is the way it was set up new The motors on the right front and left rear have not been replaced

RC Qualifier
    if I am looking down at the props from the top with the qr1 right side up ready for flight the battery wire pointing towards you the props on the left front and the the right rear are turning counter clockwise and the props on the right front and the left rear are turning clockwise this is the way it was set up new The motors on the right front and left rear have not been replaced
    That is the opposite of mine, LF & RR are the clockwise props...

RC Enthusiast
    I took the old motors apart and the way the brushes are configured I would say that they were running backwards against the brushes instead of away from them thanks again