RC poster

asking for a t-maxx tool set recommendation

hey there traxxas community,

been away from the hobby for almost 14 years. i am trying to slowly come back to it.

i am trying to wrench on a t-maxx(craigslist purchase) and i have no tools. i'd rather have some proper tools before i start working on the car. i've been researching many web sources and they seem all over the place as to what is good/prefereed. i've seen hudy's set going for quite a lot of money but i dont think it's worth it when i am trying to get back in/relearn all about this hobby.

it would be greatly appreciated if you guys can point me towards a decent set of tools i should purchase for working on t-maxx.

thanks!

RC Racer
    I'm e mechanic so I have a wide variety of tools.I'm using my nitro starter kit tools, a small Phillips head, flat head screw driver set is needed. a set of good quality Allen keys and a basic 1/4 inch drive set. a 6mm and 8mm open ended ring spanner. I'm using blue point and snap on. but like I said that's because I'm a mechanic. all depends on how much you are looking to spend.

RC poster
    my budget is $40~50. i saw a traxxas tool set made by dynamite going for about $20. the reviews are kind of all over the spectrum.

tool sets are kind of same(all over the place) but they do seem affordable. snap-on tools are away out of my range although i did look at their website. i don't doubt they are high quality tools!(i see their trucks all the time!)
    Last edited by Double G; 12-27-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: clean-up

RC Racer
    well you won't need the best tools for nitro cars haha like I said my tools are my living. as long as you get the stuff I mentioned you should be fine. and as you start to tinker you will figure out if you need to add to your kit or not. from memory the Allen keys you need are 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm. scanners are 6mm and 8mm but they may come in the cross tools that you get with most starter kits. and a basic 1/4 drive set will come in handy

The Integy Ti-nitride hex driver set is a very good set for your $$$.
    I probably turn more screws rc related than anyone I know and have tried most all brands of drivers. For the price, IMO the integy set is the best in its price range. You must get the Ti-nitride drivers though, as the other integy drivers are not as good quality/fit and will be a disappointment.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC poster
    thanks for the recommendation snook man.

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...90&p_catid=170

how does this look? it does seem to be a good starting point.

I have the same set for my pit box, they do a good job.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzySHK View Post
    my budget is $40~50. i saw a traxxas tool set made by dynamite going for about $20. the reviews are kind of all over the spectrum.

tool sets are kind of same(all over the place) but they do seem affordable. snap-on tools are away out of my range although i did look at their website. i don't doubt they are high quality tools!(i see their trucks all the time!)
    Yes there is a certain website/company overseas that has infringed on Traxxas' patents. Their name and associated brands are not allowed to be mentioned here, therefore they are filtered. Attempts to bypass the language filter is not allowed either.

I use a Integy Ti-Nitride set.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Yes there is a certain website/company overseas that has infringed on Traxxas' patents. Their name and associated brands are not allowed to be mentioned here, therefore they are filtered. Attempts to bypass the language filter is not allowed either.

I use a Integy Ti-Nitride set.
    gotcha, thanks for the heads up and the ninja edit
    i'll will probably build my tools starting with the integy tools.

For hex wrenches I the Eklind brand #55166 T Handle hex wrenches, been very happy with them & you can get them as a set or individually.
    http://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/ein...WH:1:269=55166
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    I use this Integy set and love it. They're a nice fit and you can replace tips if they wear out, which I won't have to do for a while.

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...1#.UN0yuqU9l0s.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    For hex wrenches I the Eklind brand #55166 T Handle hex wrenches, been very happy with them & you can get them as a set or individually.
    http://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/ein...WH:1:269=55166
    I seen this set. How well does it do on trucks? There are some tight places you need to get to and these are 6" long.

They work very well, I have the 9" set & they have held up very well to the wrenching I do on my trucks.
    @ $14.17 for the set that is an absolute steal! I payed $22 for my set.
    http://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/ein...1:number=33198

I did manage to slightly bugger the end of one, but they are full length hex so I just trimmed the bad end off & it has been good to go since.

Best money I've ever spent on hex wrenches.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 12-30-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!