Thread: Need help

RC poster

Need help

Bought my son the Grave Digger model 3602 for Xmas. Worked great for two sessions, now the ESC won't stay on. It will stay on if I don't have the transmitter on, but the moment I turn it on the transmitter the red light blinks once and shuts off. The transmitter can still turn the wheels.

Please help! Complete newb here.

RC Competitor
    Just a thought, check your trim on controller if its not right it can cause such issues just turn it left & right well pulling throttle trigger. good luck.
    Don't take it out unless your going to use it.

RC poster
    Thanks, but didn't help. A bit more info. The ESC will also stay on if I keep the throttle depressed, but if I let off about a sec or two later it shuts off. I can hear nothing from the engine when I depress the throttle, but again the transmitter does turn the wheels.

Last night my son had it out in some snow, but we brought it in and dried it out so I didn't expect that there would be a n issue with moisture. Could I have fried the ESC or motors itself? Any other ideas? Such a shame, the thing is brand new. Cannot believe a $250 RC car is already broke

RC Competitor
    Ok next check brushes they may have lost contact with the shaft. You need to clean them with some oil (3 in 1 oil is fine) move the wheels back and forth with you hands after you added the oil to work it in use a very small screw driver to clean the shaft (past end) while you are spinning the wheels with you hands should work. If this does not solve the issue next try reprogramming the ESC follow step by step in manual it is easier then it sounds.

RC poster
    Thanks. I will try that tomorrow. I don't know much about the "brushes" to be honest, do if you can give me an idea on where located that would be very helpful (as us everything you have told m SE so far ).

RC poster
    Nice to come on to the board and get some help

RC Qualifier
    barho, if you look in the back of the motor where there are squares cut out, the brushes look like a fan inside there. you might be able to search youtube on how to check a brushed motors brushes. If you have a local hobby shop, they would be able to hook a different motor to find out if it actually is the motor or if you just accidently ended up in the programming area of the esc. your local hobby shop should be able to help so that you dont have to do anything.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Competitor
    brushes are inside the motor if you look through slots in motor cover on side yoyu should be able to see them check manual for diagrams as well. sometimes its just a matter of sliding a small screw driver through slots & pushing brushes in or moving them out slightly.

RC Racer
    Sounds like your Titan might be fried, sorry.
    Here are your steps, 1) charge battery, 2) install battery, turn on transmitter, 3) pull the motor wires off the esc (blue box) and put a multi tester in the esc output and turn on esc. Cycle trigger and check your voltage.
    If you get a reading on tester esc is ok. (7 volts or so)
    If motor is shot call Traxxas, they are pretty good about this issue and will prob replace it for free.
    If the esc is bad same advice, traxxas stands by them,
    Here is my 2cents, replace pinion ( small gear) to a 15 or 16 tooth, this will keep your temps lower, but lower top speed a bit($4)
    Change out wheel bushings for bearings this will pick up your top speed ,and extend run time slightly,($10)
    Change the front bumper to a slash 2x4 front bumper these are a lot of protection ($8)

RC Racer
    +1 It does sound like our Titan 500 motor has failed, sorry.

Traxxas is really good about standing by there products and really helpful on the phone or in the support section.

I would suggest getting the VXL Brushless Waterproof Velineon system. I got one for my son for Christmas.($154)
    No more water issues and it can be set to 'training' mode as he learns.

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

RC Qualifier
    when i first bought mine the motor burned up the first day i had. but if i put the motor in a cup of water it ran fine. but lasted about a week then completly burned up. i called traxxas and the sent me a new one for free.