Thread: Lipo question

RC Racer

Lipo question

Hey everyone, just got my son a Summit for Christmas to go with my Stampede 4x4 and Ken Block. I got a lipo question. Just bought 2 Venim 2s 5000mah 40c batteries and really love the punch and power but the balance is way off on charging them. Is that common or anyone have that issue before? I'm talking like 3.91 to 4.21 and the charging spending the majority of the time around .3 amps trying to bring these to balance. Should I be concerned with this or is this common? I don't recall having this issue with my other lipos before.

Thanks,

RC Racer
    What type of balncer are you using

RC Racer
    Using a Duratrax 235. It's about to cut off at 120 min and I'm at 3.96 and 4.21.

RC Racer
    I would like to upgrade my charger but its always worked fine. I just restarted it. The other battery finally balanced but took forever. This one just isn't getting there as soon.

RC Racer
    i look it up and not all cell are evenly charge when done and if your where to change your charger i recomend a thunder ac6 they go for 60 bucks and it has every thing you need for batteries

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Thunder AC6 is NOT an upgrade from the Onyx 235... its a downgrade for sure.

Is this a problem with BOTH pack? Are these packs new? Is this the first time youve charged them? The onyx 235 is not a super advanced lipo charger/balancer. So it will usually take longer to balance than a higher end unit. I would suggest getting them balanced, let it take as long as it needs to, then run them and check to see how they end up. If they end up with one cell way out of balance again, id call venom and get some help. Maybe its just the way they came from the factory, not well balanced, and they just need to be brought back in line. Or, you could have a bum cell. I would think its highly unlikely youd have 2 packs, both with bad cells though. I know the ESC cant be running one cell down farther than the other so if its both packs, the only culprit I can think of is the charger. If you can, charge them on another charger and see what happens.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Thanks. It's the second charge on them. I didn't charge them fully the first time and only ran for a few minutes. I noticed the spread to begin with. The first pack got balanced the second time. The other pack timed out and is back to charging again but very low voltage is going to it. I think he charger is just trying to balance them. Seems to be getting here. I have an open ticket waiting for a response about the issue. Very impressed with the batterie though other than this.

On a side note, any chargers anyone can recommend that don't need a separate power source and can charge two at once other than the 245? I've been real happy with my 235 but I know it has its limits.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    ANY half decent LiPo charger can charge multiple LiPo's at once... with a ParaBoard.

I am curious... what is your opposition to a separate power source?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The one I always recommend is the Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC. Then get a 2S parallel balance splitter and the traxxas parallel adapter and you can charge both packs at a full 10 amps. Great charger, great balance management software and it only costs about $110 shipped.

If you do open yourself up to a separate power source (you can buy a pre-converted, 47amp PSU for about $45 shipped online) you open your world up to WAY more charger options, all of which are way more powerful. Truth is, if you have venom 5000mah 2S packs, you can only charge them at 1C anyway, so doing 2 at a time in parallel would only require 10 amps... so the Thunder Power charger I recommended would be enough.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    ANY half decent LiPo charger can charge multiple LiPo's at once... with a ParaBoard.

I am curious... what is your opposition to a separate power source?
    For me, it was just the unknown. But after taking everyone's advice, I made the jump to a good charger and external power supply and could not be happier. Just thought I'd throw my .02 in there.

BTW, I went from the Onyx 245 to my new charger. The 245 is OK, but is lacking features that I wanted/needed. Plus after running two Summits at once, I needed faster charge times

RC Racer
    It is the fear of the unknown and wanting to keep it simple. I have an 8 year old son I would like to be able to use it on his own easily and eventually. I'm going to look into those other chargers and start doing some research based on these recommendations. The batteries finally did balance out and it seems my son hit thermal shut down on this last run with plenty of power left and snapped a front stub axel on that run crawling some rocks. I guess I need to look at some kind of fan for esc/motor...any recommendations on that? Thanks for all the input.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cglennrichardson View Post
    It is the fear of the unknown and wanting to keep it simple. I have an 8 year old son I would like to be able to use it on his own easily and eventually. I'm going to look into those other chargers and start doing some research based on these recommendations. The batteries finally did balance out and it seems my son hit thermal shut down on this last run with plenty of power left and snapped a front stub axel on that run crawling some rocks. I guess I need to look at some kind of fan for esc/motor...any recommendations on that? Thanks for all the input.
    One thing I would recommend is trying to keep everything simple. Just have a switch that will turn on your power supplies (if and when you go that route) so all he has to do is flip a switch to start the system, then he just connects the batteries like he would any other charger. That way he never has to even mess with the power supplies at all and all he really sees is the charger. Just a thought........

Those cells are far enough out of balance to be an issue. You need to contact VEnom on this matter though, this is considered after market tech support and unfortunately is not allowed on this forum.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power