Thread: QR-1 Questions

RC Qualifier

QR-1 Questions

Okay, so i've had the QR-1 for a couple days now and too my surprise, I am really enjoying it. I've never 'flown' anything before and I'm really liking how it feels in the air and the look of it.

But....

I am now having a couple issues in which I am unsure of what to do.

Firstly - I can bank to the left perfectly and go forward perfectly, but when I try to go backwards as well as bank to the right, the copter barely moves. I am having more luck going backwards than I am banking to the right. When I go full right, I either still drift to the left or it takes forever for it to actually start going to the right and when it does, it barely goes anywhere. Any ideas???

Secondly - I am having issues keeping it stable at all throttle speeds. It sounds like one motor is making a weird noise but I am unsure it if is just normal. Another issue is that when I am just incresaingly throttle it is VERY jittery. I have reset it numerous times on a known level surface, but once I reach about 50-60% throttle, it gets all shaky and banks hard left and due to the issue of not being able to bank back to the right, I can't regain control very easily. Any ideas of what to do? I know for a fact I will be unable to change a motor myself considering I can't solder to save my life and don't own a soldering iron. I am hoping it isn't a motor. Could it possibly be the blades? I am going to be buying lots of blades as soon as they come available anywhere. I am replaced the original blades with the extra set provided by traxxas but it didn't really help the problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciate!
    Last edited by c.greer; 12-26-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Title correction

RC Enthusiast
    If you replaced the blades make sure you put the blades on the right motor the blades are labeled A and B also make sure your blades are perfectly straight if they are bent even a little it will cause the noise and the performance issues if you look close at your motors the one thats making the noise will probably be vibrating a little sometimes you can tweek the blade a little and get it to stop hope this helps

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I made sure that the blades are on correctly. I'm most likely going to have to wait to get new blades. One is already bent from the originally packaging which was frustrating. I'm gonna try to put the best blades on, correctly of course, and see if it helps at all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Are you sure all the motors are seated fully in their mounts? Are any of the arms disconnected at all? If you spin rotors with a flick of your finger, do they all spin freely?

Before you re-calibrate did you zero your trims? Mine was doing something similar and I found one of the motors wasnt seated fully in its mount so it was throwing the whole thing off. Once I pushed it down the whole way, everything smoothed out perfectly.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    You can get some blades and other parts off ebay from mountain hobby their genuine traxxas parts in the package and they ship fast also thats where I got my motors and blades when traxxas did not have any parts

Look for things like carpet or pet hair wrapped up in the blades and motor shaft. Also if hte blades are tweaked or dinged it will effect it. Get it all cleaned up and do the best you can straightening up the blades until they are avaialbe and then recalibrate it and you shoudl be good to go.

Oh as mentioned there are blades on ebay I ordered some but I did not realize they are coming from Hong Kong and are not scheduled to be delivered until 1/15 and they were ordered last week. I think the Traxxas blades will be available in hobby shops by the time you can get them from Hong Kong.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry its mth hobby or mark twain hobby center they are in missouri I ordered 2 motors and a canopy from them friday and it was here monday I live in virginia I ordered a 2 sets of blades from them yesterday unfortunately i just checked and they are sold out of blades
    Last edited by rc nitro junkie; 12-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Pave.... Yeah when I switched the blades the first time, two motors did pop out. So I need to make sure all the motors are seated properly as well as the blades are pushed down evenly. I will look on ebay for parts if there are any left. Once I get back from vacation i'll clean it all up, get some new blades, charge up the batteries, and be on my way. I am really enjoying the little quad and think it's going to really open up my RC experience and abilities. I've been trying to stay on my workout mats and pool table but they are all stationed on carpet so anything could be getting in their. Any other recommdendations from people on things to make it fly better/more stable? BTW I did do the switch of the blades so the colored (Red in my case) are in the front. Really helps