Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Nice. Its added to the list, along with a owb and some other things. Waiting for the body beforebany more progress is done. Ups says thursday.
    T-maxx 2.5 | T-maxx 3.3 | T-maxx pro.15

RC Qualifier
    VERY curious on how this turns out. Looks like a pretty cool truck in the making. Didn't notice if you'd mentioned it yet, will we see some sway bars?
    The best thing about Groundhog Day??? Bill Murray.

RC Racer
    I dont think the suspension is soft enough to warrant the use of sway bars, but if the need is there, I will be more than ok with running a set.

RC Racer
    Ups says my body is on time and should be herer tomorrow. Im pretty excited to get working on the extension plates and narrowing the truck.

RC Racer
    Couple "teaser" pics... body came in today...

RC Racer
    Already made a mistake, but the fiance fixed it. Doesnt look half bad. The large "Team Associated" sticker covers the stock body mount holes, and the "lucas oil" and "rockstar R" cover the holes I made in the wrong place

RC Racer
    Mocked up on some boxes... front body mounts pinned in place...

RC Racer
    Measure twice, cut how many times? LoL

Working on the truck now... will have some pictures up when I get home

RC Qualifier
    Nice, it looks pretty good on there. Only thing is that the wheels aren't lined up with the wheel wells in the body, do I perhaps see a monoblock in your future?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadFootedRacer View Post
    Ups says my body is on time and should be herer tomorrow. Im pretty excited to get working on the extension plates and narrowing the truck.
    ^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    Nice, it looks pretty good on there. Only thing is that the wheels aren't lined up with the wheel wells in the body, do I perhaps see a monoblock in your future?
    . He's making his own chassis extension

RC Qualifier
    I should probably get my eyes checked!

RC Racer
    Prototype top Chassis extension complete. got to build another, both stronger and longer.

wheelbase looks pretty spot on.

Even with the older style narrow arms, the tires stick out a smidgen...

A litte trimming on the arms and axles and the tires are now in a more proper location

To Do List:
    Set Camber
    Extend Rear Skid Plate to meet Chassis Braces
    Build Rear Driveshaft
    Redesign Top Extension Plate for better length and strength
    Either buy or modify Turnbuckles
    Lower Body Mount Posts (would like to slide the posts further down and drill a new hole.)
    Disassemble, clean, deburr, and reassemble
    Install motor/gastank
    Test Drive

RC Racer
    Also on the "To Do List"
    Custom fit Slash Front/Rear Bumpers
    Custom fit RPM Mud Flaps for Slash

RC Competitor
    This build has come along nicely! Good Work!!

RC Racer
    Comparison with my fiance's maxx 2.5.

RC Champion
    Sweet build, do you have any pictures of the shortened A-arms

Have you thought about makin a aluminum skidplate yourself and just make it a bit longer and maybe use some bellcrank posts between the top and bottom plates as braces

RC Racer
    Some sort of lower skid plate and/or skid extension will be built. Just not fully sure what I am doing yet. I still need to redesign the upper as well.

RC Qualifier
    Wow...never thought a maxx would look good with a short course body on it nice job!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    Wow...never thought a maxx would look good with a short course body on it nice job!

Few more days of hard work, and this baby may be ready for its maiden voyage... then it will be time to tear it all apart, replace all the bearings, swap out the gears, wash every last bit of it, and call it done!

RC Qualifier
    Very nice. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see some running vids...
    The best thing about Groundhog Day??? Bill Murray.

RC Racer
    New extension made... a lot beefier. The right length this time too! LoL. Doing a little clearancing on it, for the driveshaft. Will have pics up soon

RC Racer
    Still got more work to do. Im not too crazy about the driveshaft...

Had to clearance the chassis plate to clear the shaft as well... but the shaft has an ugly runout because not enough of it is slipped inside...

RC Racer
    Looks like I need a 130mm dogbone... CEN makes them, but I cant find dimensions on the ball size. Are they all the same? Looking at the 5mm/6mm cups from UE

UE has 132.5mm dog bones (pin to pin) that fit the UE cups if you can make that length fit.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Actually that would probably be better. I pulled the 130 number out of thin air. Ibacquired a 123mm savage bone, and laying it in place, looks short.

RC Racer
    Snook, just checked out their site, and don't see that bone listed. i see one that is 100.5mm, then one for use with their mono block but no length listed. is that the one?

Yes, its the bone for the Lightning and Thunder with Monoblock.

RC Racer
    My extension is in exess of 3". Their monoblock is pretty short in comparrison... maybe I need the hpi 142mm bone? Gunna order the hpi bone anyway. Im not sure how to measure for the bone without cups on hand. I get 5 5/8" pivot pin to pivot oin on the stock shaft. The hpi bone is 5.6". Am I assuming right?

RC Racer
    Items on the way:

UE 5mm Drive Cup
    UE 6mm Drive Cup
    HPI 142mm Dogbone
    72mm Turnbuckles (2)
    78mm Turnbuckles (2)
    24T Clutchbell
    Clutchbell Bearings
    66T Spur Gear
    Clutch Shoes
    Slipper Pegs
    OWB

i think thats all i needed

RC Qualifier
    I would think the pivot pins stick out farther than where the pin on the dogbone will sit in the cup, but you can't really tell for sure until you get the cups. After you get cups, you might have to make adjustments on the extension to accomadate for the length of shafts you could buy.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    I would think the pivot pins stick out farther than where the pin on the dogbone will sit in the cup, but you can't really tell for sure until you get the cups. After you get cups, you might have to make adjustments on the extension to accomadate for the length of shafts you could buy.
    hoping that is not the case...

if it is close, i can build yet another extension to accommodate it, as long as it doesn't ruin the fit of the wheels to the body.

RC Racer
    leadfootedracer will you sell traxxas part #5173 if so how much i am curently running 6-1/2 inch tires on mine and got a 20/74 and getting about 45mph but it has some upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFootedRacer View Post
    My extension is in exess of 3". Their monoblock is pretty short in comparrison... maybe I need the hpi 142mm bone? Gunna order the hpi bone anyway. Im not sure how to measure for the bone without cups on hand. I get 5 5/8" pivot pin to pivot oin on the stock shaft. The hpi bone is 5.6". Am I assuming right?
    The short chassis uses a 70mm bone, if you added a 3 inch extension (76.19mm) you will need a bone measuring about 146/148 mm pin to pin. Most drive cups are going to be roughly the same depth/length unless you use an extended cup. Accurately measure from the center of the slots with the cups you have and it will give you a good measurement of what length you will need. Since you dont have cups, you could also measure from the center of the front and rear mounting holes of the extension and just add it to the 70mm to get the measurement. I always make/design my chassis extension plates & rear skid or the entire chassis to fit a common length easy to acquire bone. I learned very early on when modifying the overall length of the chassis that a couple mm to long/short will make for a bad day.
    If your extension is in excess of 3 inches like you say, I t will most likely need to be cut down/made shorter as a bone that long will be hard to find. I also donít think the hpi bone will fit the UE cups (ball end to large) but I may be thinking of another hpi bone . I have about 100+ bones and they get confusing at times and Iím away on business atm and canít get a measurement for ya.

RC Racer
    Thank you for that information. The UE cups are on the way, as well as the rest of the parts. If the hpi bone fits the UE cups, but falls short, I may shorten the extension to accomodate it.

Also, on a side note, does anyone know of a place dealing in older Orion engine parts? I picked up a wasp .26 today for short money. Sounds healthy when turning it by hand, but the OWB and backplate are useless.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by riley n View Post
    leadfootedracer will you sell traxxas part #5173 if so how much i am curently running 6-1/2 inch tires on mine and got a 20/74 and getting about 45mph but it has some upgrades
    I do not have that part number. I have the older wheels/tires.

RC Racer
    Sold the wasp... didnt realize what was involved with putting it in a tmaxx. LoL

Waiting on more parts to finish the extension, and hopefully wrap this baby up.

RC Racer
    Parts came in today. The HPI 8x142mm dog bone DOES fit the UE cups, but is too short for my application. I emailed UE and they are going to make me a couple custom length shafts at 150mm. They are doing a production run next week, and can squeeze my custom ones in.

Got the 78mm turnbuckles installed in the rear. These particular turnbuckles have long threads, so it looks like the ends are barely screwed on. Also installed the 66T spur with 12 new pegs.

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37į 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115į 47' 34.8713"
    first time seeing this build, pretty cool idea man
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Racer
    Also got one of them fancy stainless steel screw kits from ebay on the way. Started running out of spare hardware. LoL

RC Racer
    72mm turnbuckles up front...