Thread: 11.1 3s lipo

RC Competitor

11.1 3s lipo

Hey all,
    I got a 11.1v 3s lipo and had a few questions
    - will running with this battery cause early wear on the internals (seems overly powerful)?
    - is there a mod to use the original battery holder or do I need the tall holder kit from traxxas?
    - does anyone use the aluminum battery holders and they really pull heat off the battery and if so which is better?

Thanks all!

RC Champion
    If you run 3s you will want to get the aluminium bearing adapter. Either Kinheadz or Traxxas is a great choice. You will start to see your drive shaft's twisting and need to be replaced at time's. You will need the battery expansion kit to run 3s 5000mah lipo's. The aluminium battery bar is just for bling it will not pull any heat from the battery to make it noticeable.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Competitor
    Awsome info. Thanks. With the drive shafts, all that stuff is the same as the slash 4x4 correct?

RC Champion
    It is Traxxas part 7426x for the taller battery holder.

Stress on driveline will be determined by just how much traction you are getting. Grip on concrete will by far stress more but there is enough slip in the factory tires that it would not be too bad but putting on some grippers would be more a load on all driveline components but they are all inexpensive and designed to run and have fun!

RC Competitor
    Shoot I just ordered the 5827x, said it was the tall battery hold down for slash 4x4.......can I use that?

RC Champion
    Nope they are completely different. Call them back and cancel.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the heads up. Cancelled the order and got the 7426(back ordered) , aluminum shock caps and the bearing adapter.

RC Champion
    did you order the 7426x or just 7426? the x mean's it is the taller mounts

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Your also going to need to gear DOWN if you want to run 3S. That much voltage will cause alot more heat in your motor. Anything over 200 degrees and your doing damage to the magnets in the motor. You need to keep a close eye on heat.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    7426x, made sure it was the one for the taller batteries.

RC Competitor
    As far as heat, is the esc fan worth it? I have a heatsink /w fan on the motor. I also put some ventilation throughout the body to give it better airflow.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The fan/heat sink works as described on the ESC but the truth is, you shouldnt be running it so hard that you need it. If your running the car hard enough to overheat the ESC, its more than likely the motor is getting way too hot. The heatsink and fan on the motor will help but IMO, its not a good thing to rely on. If the fan ever dies in the middle of the run and you dont know it, the motor could overheat. Gear the car so the motor doesnt overheat WITHOUT the fan and use the fan to cool things even further.

Thats just my opinion. Better safe than sorry IMO. 3S is hard on these 1/10 systems no matter what you do. But getting them too hot just makes things get exponentially worse.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Anyone have a good gear setup that runs with a 3s?

RC Champion
    I'd go with 11/54 or 12/52. Kept my stock system very cool.

RC Competitor
    Thanks again all. Good info!

RC Champion
    If you are wanting more speed/power its better to go with a larger system. I have always though the VXL is a bit tempermental for all but moderate gearing on 2s.

Out of the box I put a 2400/MMP system on 3s in my Rally. Plently of power and speed with barely warm temps geared 19/54.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    As far as the aluminum bearing adapter goes....should I install it as soon as I get it, or wait until the stock part goes out?

RC Champion
    As soon as you get it. If you wait til it fail's, it will be to late for other part's as they probably have been damaged as well.

RC Enthusiast
    What he said.
    When it fails, your likely too take the clutch with it. Thats what happened to me. The aluminum adapter is way worth it! Should be standard issue I'm my opinion

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    As soon as you get it. If you wait til it fail's, it will be to late for other part's as they probably have been damaged as well.
    are you speaking of part # 6893x Bearing adapter, 6160-T6 aluminum (blue-anodized) (1)/10x15x4mm ball bearing (blue rubber sealed) (1) (for slipper shaft)/?????? Im running the MMM on 4s
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC poster
    Yeah, 3s on stock parts=bad (but fast!). Melted bearing adapter melted to bearing which in turn pulled the bearing out of the motor mount ruining motor mount. Other carnage ensued including but not limited to destroyed slipper clutch. I have ordered aluminum bearing adapters and considering the Kingheadz motor mount. Also, highly recommend not to drive in gravel as gravel sticks beside drive shaft and wears it down until it almost wore though. So, new driveshaft and working on a chassis cover.