Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    RC Racer
    I know what you mean as for frustrations. Me I had a funeral last week and then so much rain that we nearly got flooded. Spent a whole day cleaning out a canal close to the house so the water would drain. Found a beaver dam causing the problems. then all the parts that I only found I needed more parts on top of that. I try to find humor in all this. And now I am building Pinewood derby cars for the rest of the month. I do like building Pinewood derby cars though, cause I sell alot of them on ebay.
    If its not breaken then your not racing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So I guess I missed where the aluminum bulkhead will just bend
    They work great in my merv never had a problem

RC Qualifier
    I got some stuff done today. First off, I got really frustrated with other things that are going on so I ordered more parts to take my mind off of them.

Full set of Rpm arms, some of them were white so I rit dyed them.

The top two arms are the stock black.
    I attempted pavementsurfer's mod of the traxxas wheel hubs, but I ordered the wrong nuts, these are counterclockwise threaded. Since I cancelled my order with Kershaw, I needed a substitute. I used the center drive kit and 4x 2.5mm washers and put that into use.

This was a bit tricky to get both washers to go in, but it is possible. One on each side of the traxxas shaft, throw a lot of grease in it and finish it off with heat shrink to keep the pin in. I used 3/4-3/8in heat shrink, or 3awg wire.
    I needed more room in the stock receiver box, so I ditched it and got a 4x2x1 project box from radioshack to put in it's place. The aluminum lid doen't quite sit flush, but it will do. They always come scratched, so I used 600 grit sandpaper to restore the shine of the cheap aluminum. My wire management will be relooked when everything can be set for good, as it is a bit of a mess as it is now.

I stripped a screw that holds the rear bulkhead together so i need to get a remover or simply cut it out. I don't think it really adds any structural support to it at all. The spider gear shims should be here tomorrow, so if I get that screw out then I am driving by tomorrow night! This time I am fairly certain that it will happen. It will feel so good to open the gate to my driving area after 2 months! Now I am hoping for no more fires or failures of any electronics, because I should have a fairly sturdy driveling
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Sweet...its coming together nicely...not long til you rock n rollin you truck .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-18-2013 at 04:38 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Sweet...its coming together nicely...not long til you rock n rollin you truck .
    Thanks, I sure hope so

I drill my screws out when I can't remove them or access them easily...I try break the heads off.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I drill my screws out when I can't remove them or access them easily...I try break the heads off.
    I don't have any bits that small that can do metal... it's time to invest in some new tools though, stuff is getting better and mine is not

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds good davis!
    I have a set of craftsman easy outs for stripped heads. Works better then expected on small screws

RC Qualifier
    Dave, which craftsman set do you have? I don't need the 5000 bit set that comes with a magical unicorn that can play the tambourine, I just want to get out one stupid screw.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here is the best shot I could take

RC Qualifier
    ok, thanks. I am just going to cut it, I don't see how it could give any structural rigidity or support other than it helps to close it. The bevel gears with the shims just got here, so I am going to put those in now

RC Qualifier
    disregard this, I fail at eyesight
    Last edited by ignis; 01-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And any update there Davis!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, I've been away for a while and needed some time away from this project that was turning into a nightmare.

But, I have since finished (mostly, I'll explain) the moneypit. I got all of the bulkheads re-hot glued after I put the spider gear shims in that I had to get from ebay and fiilled them up with 50k front and ~35k rear. I got everything remounted and adjusted to where I could put the power on (on the workbench) to make sure everything was cooperating and apparently my front diff's angle was too much and the heat shrink was rubbing on the chasis which caused it to tear off and the pin made a groove in the chasis, which in turn locked everything up and bent the front center cvd. After saying some words that can't be posted here I looked in the mail and there was a package from Dan Fischer. Yes, the very same Dan Fischer that I cancelled my order with. Looked in the envelope and sure enough it was what I ordered, but I am pretty sure he refunded me, so I think I got these for free... I don't know what the problem is, but I have had a terrible experience with Kershaw communication wise, which is what prompted me to cancel the order. I wouldn't have minded the wait if he had simply kept me informed, but he waited a week to tell me he didn't even get the front bone (not his fault) but an email would be nice. I will give him credit, though, the craftsmanship is much better than the traxxas. The shafts feel much more dense, they don't "ping" when hit with and screwdriver, it is a much more solid sound. That is installed and given plenty of grease to keep it cool, now the driveline is smooth. I had a problem remembering the spur gear mesh feeling, I just do it by feel and sight, no paper needed I followed pavement surfer and used a hack saw to cut off the threads of the traxxas 17mm adapters and got traxxas m5 nuts. Now, if you use these nuts instead of the hpi flanged you need to use washers to make contact with the wheel. I used these:

87cents each pack of four and they are a nice accent to the black and red.
    Now this is where the almost complete come in. When I got the truck from fleabay the guy included hpi hubs which use a 1.5mm set screw and a pin instead of the 2.5mm screw with the pin built in (too tired to think of the M sizes and name, if someone could help me out here that would be awesome!) Well, the 1.5 stripped out and it was too deep to dremel, so I drilled it but the bit I used left sort of a countersink to it which isn't allowing the pin to release. I will figure that after I go riding to clear my head. I think that's it! The only problem is the weather, which is rain and rain and rain, hence the riding I figure it's better to wait a few days then ruin another esc and set of batteries. This may be the end of this rebuild, but this won't be the end of the upgrades. Bearings will be next and tires are probably going to need replacing sometime soon, they lasted pretty well for the last year of running.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow! That was a pain davis! Looks good though
    Now after all my trouble I am doing the 1/8 diff in my e maxx! We must be mad!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Wow! That was a pain davis! Looks good though
    Now after all my trouble I am doing the 1/8 diff in my e maxx! We must be mad!
    Good luck! You should have some bulletproof drivelines soon

RC Qualifier
    Here's what my weekend consisted of because of the rain:

And now this beast is finally done! I ran it around on the school parking lot/dirt easement and it is awesome! I'll pick up a 54 tooth spur (several actually) and try to get more speed. All I currently have are 58 and 65's.

I hope it stays dry, right now it is flooded where I go driving.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good!
    Right now I am running 24/54. You loose 4 teeth on the pinion with the losi mod

RC Competitor
    Looking good, you canceled your order and got your kershaw stuff. I have stuck with it and now he said he only sent out 2 kits and will have more front dogbones at the end of the week. So no axles for me until next week maybe?? So the traxxas cvd's were a no go or would you have to tip the front pinion angle with more grinding?

btw nice quad.. What size 660 or 700? Don't know yamaha's that well.

That is beefy...my traxxas centre cvd is still working with no issues. Good to hear your truck is up and running now .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I don't know what happened with him. I won't be doing anything more with him, just on the fact that communication is horrible. The Traxxas Cvd would have worked if the heat shrink was thinner and the chassis was trimmed a little more. There was just too many factors against it that I did not know until it went boom. It's actually only a 250. Way too small for me, I am hoping to get an Ltr 450 sometime soon. I rode the Ltr and a Yz 426 on Sunday and decided to stay with quads, mainly because I can go to the dunes without a worry.

Anyway, I took it out for a run today and it is perfect! I need to adjust the camber and angles, but it ran like a dream right up until I shredded a spur gear. It climbs hills like no other with all of that weight that was added down low. I'm, going to stay with 21/58 gearing for now, because my temps were at 160 and steady. I'm just wondering, does anyone have a relation to NPA auctions or the Lomas family? It seems like I am meeting a lot of people that are close with them, like a guy that works at the hobbyshop today.
    Last edited by Money pit; 01-29-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Sweet...sounds like its all working out. Nice!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    In defense of Dan Kershawyou are wrong about him. I have had excellent communication with him. He tries very hard to provide excellent service. And the fact that he sent you your dog bone even after you cancelled your order should speak volumes about his character. His Supplier was to blame about the long lead time of the front dog bones. The Dog bones will be available this coming week starting feb 5th. Because he had to switch to a different supplier just to get them. I highly recommend him and encourage you my friend MoneyPit not to hold this against him.

RC Competitor
    He sent him his order even though he canceled but yet I ordered mine a few days after money pit and haven't got mine. Only two dog bones come in so the lucky 2 got their order shipped. I ordered mine dec 21 and now feb 1 and still not shipped. I will never order again.

But anyways where were you running the 21/68 to get those temps? Like offroad and how mayn cells 6s? I'm still thinking 24/54 on 5s for road/gravel driving.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by clp71220 View Post
    In defense of Dan Kershawyou are wrong about him. I have had excellent communication with him. He tries very hard to provide excellent service. And the fact that he sent you your dog bone even after you cancelled your order should speak volumes about his character. His Supplier was to blame about the long lead time of the front dog bones. The Dog bones will be available this coming week starting feb 5th. Because he had to switch to a different supplier just to get them. I highly recommend him and encourage you my friend MoneyPit not to hold this against him.
    I believe I have said this before, but I may not have. I have absolutely no problem with waiting, it was the fact that he told me that he was picking up the shaft in a few hours and I got a shipping notification from stamps.com. I waited an entire week and I get this email,
    "I'm afraid I've got some bad news. the hobby shop that I work with to
    order the specialized from dogbone for your dogbone kit missed ordering
    the dogbone. Will be in only in about 1 week. Can you wait?".

He waited an entire week to send me this. Keep in mind that this is after a month when he said that it should take 2 weeks. Had he sent me something in a day or 2 I would have been frustrated, but understanding. He did not, therefore, I was ****ED. Also, why in the world did I get a shipping notice when he didn't send me anything??? I asked him this and he did not reply. I am not saying that you are wrong about his character, but I would never make a paying customer that could possibly give me more business wait just to give someone that has stated they will never do business with me again. This is just not the way to run a business or treat paying customers. Again, had he simply sent an email I would have been ok if I still did not have it, not happy but ok. I do not hold the wait time against him, but for communication I absolutely do. I really was hoping to get one of his chassis too, I'm tired of the stock battery doors limit.

Now, I don't want this to turn into a flame war or do anything to get this thread locked down, I am simply stating my opinion and will be taking no further actions with Kershaw designs or any of it's products. You do not have to follow my lead, you have the right to your risk.

Quote Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
    He sent him his order even though he canceled but yet I ordered mine a few days after money pit and haven't got mine. Only two dog bones come in so the lucky 2 got their order shipped. I ordered mine dec 21 and now feb 1 and still not shipped. I will never order again.

But anyways where were you running the 21/68 to get those temps? Like offroad and how mayn cells 6s? I'm still thinking 24/54 on 5s for road/gravel driving.
    I am really sorry about that. Had I known he sent me mine after I cancelled and you didn't get yours I would have given you mine. I hope you can get yours soon, though.

I was running 21/58 gearing offroad 5s and pushing it HARD. Full throttle on a 1/8 mile long grass strip for 10 times in a row, climbing a hill and jumping for 10 minutes and only stopped to put a rod end back on. The surface of the jumps is a hard pack and then very soft and it was stopping and starting back and forth. I could only get the temps up to 174 before the battery ran out today, but my nephew was driving for half the time with 50% power. I hope you can get back to driving soon, trust me, this mod is definitely worth every penny.

RC Racer
    Dan found some dog bones in his shop and sent them. The hobby suppliers that he had used totally messed him over. As for communications that's on him. All I am saying is stuff happens and this dog bone delay is now going to be over. And you should order that chassis because you will get it pretty quick. Not flaming here. Just a good guy is beinging smeared unfairly. I would stand up for you to Moneypit if someone did this to you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When I emailed dan on his slipper clutch spring he returned the email within the hour!

RC Qualifier
    I don't know, if I can change my mind on him I might get the chassis. I have a way of going about things, which is not very forgiving if you don't do what is expected. I can completely understand that it is not his fault about the wait, but communication is on him. In the beginning it was about 20 minutes to reply to my emails. I still want to know why I got a shipment notification when nothing was sent. I may just stick with the stock chassis until I need new batteries because I am now saving up for a Drz 440 Supermoto as my new stress reliever. So, my rc budget is going on a heavy diet for the next ~4k$ income, not leaving or selling, but going easy on mods and "bling" for a while

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hopmeup on ebay did almost the same thing. Ordered 200 in parts for my maxx and revo and after a week finally get my order and there is a note my center cvds are out of stock and will be another week. I contacted them to cancel it and they said they just shipped it and I said I already bought a set. They said to refuse the package which i did then they wouldn't credit me.paypal sided with me and got my money back

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Hopmeup on ebay did almost the same thing. Ordered 200 in parts for my maxx and revo and after a week finally get my order and there is a note my center cvds are out of stock and will be another week. I contacted them to cancel it and they said they just shipped it and I said I already bought a set. They said to refuse the package which i did then they wouldn't credit me.paypal sided with me and got my money back
    Hmm, I have had awesome luck with hopmeup. All 27 times

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That just shows you! I have bought from him for years!

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get female jst-xh balance pigtails? I looked at the traxxas dual battery charging adapter, but I think that charges in parallel. I need a 2s and 3s jst-xh plug, silicone wire preferred, but anything will do, I just want to be able to charge faster and I can't do parallel with a 2s and 3s.

Anyways, the truck is awesome! I would highly recommend doing this to anyone doing 5 or 6s lipos. The weight down low is perfect for what I am doing with it, it feels much more planted on the ground and doesn't bounce around so much anymore. The drive reduction is a bit of a pain, but 21/58 gearing seems to be just fine for my uses and I have a very heavy setup( two servos 2 receiver boxes, chassis brace, losi diffs...) but it never got so hot that I wouldn't drive it.
    Last edited by Money pit; 02-03-2013 at 03:43 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-03-2013 at 04:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Those are regular jst's, I need jst-xh. They are the balance plug on lipos. Close, though.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Enthusiast
    i just don't see the point..the stock e revo diffs almost never have problems but then again i run 4s but i average replacing them every maybe 7 or 8 months..so i'm happy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I ran on 4s and every other ride broke a diff
    No excuse for not having stronger diffs from the factory by now

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by discipleofchaos View Post
    i just don't see the point..the stock e revo diffs almost never have problems but then again i run 4s but i average replacing them every maybe 7 or 8 months..so i'm happy
    When I ran 4s they were ok, but with an advertised maximum of 6s the diffs need to be stronger. It is a very weak point of the truck and needs to be strengthened. I only run on 5s now and I blew through diffs like crazy, just the way it handles now makes it worth it to me. It is an insane hillclimber like it never was before. I'll see how it does in the dunes next weekend if I can work up the courage to climb the dunes with the car strapped to my front bumper.

Thanks Dave, I found a set already.

RC Qualifier
    Just wanted to add and the edit isn't working. When I got my dell poweredge 2850 power supplies they only put out 11.85 volts, and I wanted more. To do this take a 470ohm 1/8th watt resistor and wire it between the positive and this pin.

The other pin is for the fan mod, I put a switch on mine and then to ground and it is awesome. When I need it I can just flip the switch and it is a leaf blower again, but the rest of the time it is quieter than my charger is. If you want more on the power supply I would be happy to help.

RC Champion
    I did an HP 1300W power supply and modded the fans with 180F bimetal swiches on the heatsinks, toggle switchs and a resistor network so the fans run at either low or medium speed but the bimetal swiches over ride everything and put them to high.

I will tell you one Ebay reatiler to avoid like the plague is Bizzare Hobbies. I just had a serious run in with them where I tried to do the right thing and the buttflea kept dragging it out with empty promises until my 45 day window had passed. No communication whatsover after that and I had already returned the parts and was just asking for different parts for a swap. Well seems they didnt like it too much when I filed a report with IC3.gov for internet fraud, the USPS for mail fraud and madea call to the PD in my town and his. When the Nashua NH PD came knocking on his door I magically get communication again with more stall tactics but stood ground that it was either full refund or a tracking number by days end or I was proceeding with all the charges. An express mail tracking number was generated immidiately and I had the parts the next day. Now why couldnt he just do that in the first place instead of dragging it out for two months and making me have to go to all the pain just for him to do what was right?

I placed my order with Kershaw last friday and USPS tracking shows delivery to be today from CO to NJ. I didnt get the specialty items you guys are waiting on, just the LCG chassis and standard center dogbone kit and communication was lightning fast. He even refunded part of the shipping charge. Sometimes you have to have a great deal of patience when ordering specialty parts that are not stock shelf items and he is at the mercy of another supplier. I know it looks bad on him if he didnt correspond but the anxiety would have been just as great if you got correspondance stating that he still didnt have them. I deal with irate people on nearly a daily basis and when your hands are tied there is only so much you can say and to keep telling the same story often just makes matters worse.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-02-2013 at 08:40 AM.