RC Enthusiast

Temp difference 2/3s with proper gearing question.

Doing the gear calculator and estimating speed I know it's not 100% spot on but it's close.

I have been running 2s 14/54 with relatively no problems, a little cogging, at part throttle. 165*~ f temps at the end if a pack.

According to the calculator, 3s 9/54 is about the same speed. Which way should the heat go? Should motor be cooler? Smaller pinion? Or with the higher voltage warmer?

Sorry I don't know.
    Looking at getting another battery, possibly trying 3s, and would like to prolong the life of my vxl.
    Thanks in advance, merry Christmas.

I don't change gearing when I go from 2s to 3s. Most guys on the forum do but I don't because I change from 2 to 3s frequently. I mostly run 3s in my 1/10 Rally on stock gearing on 3s, just monitor your motor temps. The Rally is very similar to your Sl4sh in terms of battery load.

Sent from my Kindle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I've been running 3s right out of the box, brand new. No issues. Can't tell you the temp because I have not check it. I had the truck for 16 weeks and I drive it hard.... JJust got a cooling fan for the ESC....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    I've been running 3s right out of the box, brand new. No issues. Can't tell you the temp because I have not check it. I had the truck for 16 weeks and I drive it hard.... JJust got a cooling fan for the ESC....
    I switch back and forth between 2S & 3S and run 13/54 gearing all the time. I run very hard and it doesn't get more than warm, BUT I have the Traxxas ESC cooling fan and twin Integy fans with heat sink on my motor. That's with big 3.2 diameter rim tires, so it's probably more like 14/54.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I do do a lot of grassy field bashing that's why I was asking. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by DEpede View Post
    Ok, I do do a lot of grassy field bashing that's why I was asking. Thanks everyone!
    Running on grass will be hard on your motor. Maybe you should go with a 12 or 13t pinion and see how your temps run. If you were running on the street I'd say to go with 14 or 15t.

RC Enthusiast
    It is a mixture, was trying to see if anyone does dual purpose. I have 11-14-17 teeth.

Thanks again.

RC Enthusiast
    Doing the gear calculator and estimating speed I know it's not 100% spot on but it's close.
    I run 2.8 Trenchers on a 3S 6400mAh 65C lipo with 9/54 gearing in my P4de. With full battery my GPS phone app onboard the truck reports 45.3km/h as my top speed, on bitumen. The RC top speed calculator tool says I should expect 52.09km/h, so clearly there's some real-world difference. Motor temp didn't exceed 37 deg C (+/-2.5 deg C) with an ambient temperature of 32 deg C (warm day here in Melbourne yesterday), though it should be noted I'm running a heatsink with thermal transfer compound under a 60mm 5v fan over the motor along with the traxxas esc fan.

I have a bunch of pinions and spurs here to play with. I'm going to try maybe 10/52 gearing for a good mix of speed and acceleration, without blowing my stock Velineon 3500 temps out of safe levels. (Would like to speed test with the stock Talons, 17/50 and a carefully applied throttle finger, but that's a story for another thread!)
    Last edited by cragv; 12-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks again guys, gonna ease into this. 4ah 25c 3s g force to start. Happy new year everyone!

RC Qualifier
    It is a mixture, was trying to see if anyone does dual purpose. I have 11-14-17 teeth.

Thanks again.
    Better use you 11 for grass then.

Happy New year to you too!!

Tell us how you like the bigger lipo.

If you are running 3s with the vxl system any where like 9t-13t pinion will be fine as long you have got fans on the esc and motor and can let cool air in under the bodyshell you will be fine but some times its the surface you drive on that makes the differance like grass can put a load on the motor .....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Cool deal, esc fan and motor fan are covered. Just need to set aside 35$ for the 3s. Need to get a new charger. Knowin what I learned, I made a mistake buying the onyx 235. Good charger, over priced IMHO, probably going with the (apparently illegal to insert charger name here) 380w. I have like 5 packs to charge now, and the kids and I are impatient.

RC Qualifier
    Cool deal, esc fan and motor fan are covered. Just need to set aside 35$ for the 3s. Need to get a new charger. Knowin what I learned, I made a mistake buying the onyx 235. Good charger, over priced IMHO, probably going with the (apparently illegal to insert charger name here) 380w. I have like 5 packs to charge now, and the kids and I are impatient.
    I have the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus. Does a great job. It will go up to 6A but my 2s & 3s packs are both 4000 MaH so I charge them both at 4V.